ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #136
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropear View Post
There should maybe a few routes listed as optional. Carpenters Bridge would be one that would be like that.
The Hugo Cemetery would be another one. The Cemetary was interesting. But, it was about 15 minutes i would have liked to use scouting Kiamichi River. That we had to bypass due to a gate combined with these wonderful 10 hours of sunlight we are experiencing.
I realize this adds a whole level of complexity to the route. But, it could make it easier to manage.
We have a defined OAT and then we have some one offs that may be real relevant "there and back's" for peoples interest like bridges or dead circus elephants. But, if not you can stay on the Trail. Me and Kilted talked about the runestone in heavener. Interesting things that inmates may have defined as worth seeing. but not worth rerouting the whole trail.
Just throwing it out there since it is cold outside and we may need some flames.
+1 on this. The OAT is long enough I think many of us will ride it in stages anyway. That is what I will do, ride maybe two days, cut for home, then some other time pick up where I left off or ride a different section. Doing that would give more time for side trips like the Carpenters Bridge and the dead elephant.



.
__________________
1200 GSAW
FE 390
KLR 650 (not new)
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #137
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kiltedcrawford's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 119
Dead circus elephants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
+1 on this. The OAT is long enough I think many of us will ride it in stages anyway. That is what I will do, ride maybe two days, cut for home, then some other time pick up where I left off or ride a different section. Doing that would give more time for side trips like the Carpenters Bridge and the dead elephant.
.
We should play up this aspect when promoting the OAT to others:

"Yeah, your trail may go from beach to mountains with xxxxx' elevation change and feature topless natives, but does it have dead circus elephants???"
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #138
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer
 
Dadayama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropear View Post
There should maybe a few routes listed as optional. Carpenters Bridge would be one that would be like that.
The Hugo Cemetery would be another one. The Cemetary was interesting. But, it was about 15 minutes i would have liked to use scouting Kiamichi River. That we had to bypass due to a gate combined with these wonderful 10 hours of sunlight we are experiencing.
I realize this adds a whole level of complexity to the route. But, it could make it easier to manage.
We have a defined OAT and then we have some one offs that may be real relevant "there and back's" for peoples interest like bridges or dead circus elephants. But, if not you can stay on the Trail. Me and Kilted talked about the runestone in heavener. Interesting things that inmates may have defined as worth seeing. but not worth rerouting the whole trail.
Just throwing it out there since it is cold outside and we may need some flames.
I am to blame for the Hugo "Mount Olivet Cemetery" More info click here

and Carpenter's Bluff Bridge, More info click here

When KLR and I first started talking about this route we wanted to find unusual things unique to Oklahoma, make the loop Okla-centric... That is why Frog Rock and the Graffiti Wall are in the route. It is easy enough to circle the state, as this state is on a grid system... but trying to find a mostly dirt route that tries to go by some interesting things along the way is a bit more challenging.

So in defense of the the cemetery, if you left the cemetery out you would only shave off 2 miles.

In regards to Carpenters Bluff Bridge, the route you rode is 4 miles longer than the current one. The current route heads east out of Hendrix on a gravel road then after 3.7 miles turns back to pavement until it meets up with the older route, which you traveled. So it is a bit like splitting hairs...
__________________
Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
Oklahoma Adventure Trail
YouTube
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #139
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer
 
Dadayama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
I am to blame for the Hugo "Mount Olivet Cemetery" More info click here

and Carpenter's Bluff Bridge, More info click here

When KLR and I first started talking about this route we wanted to find unusual things unique to Oklahoma, make the loop Okla-centric... That is why Frog Rock and the Graffiti Wall are in the route. It is easy enough to circle the state, as this state is on a grid system... but trying to find a mostly dirt route that tries to go by some interesting things along the way is a bit more challenging.

So in defense of the the cemetery, if you left the cemetery out you would only shave off 2 miles.

In regards to Carpenters Bluff Bridge, the route you rode is 4 miles longer than the current one. The current route heads east out of Hendrix on a gravel road then after 3.7 miles turns back to pavement until it meets up with the older route, which you traveled. So it is a bit like splitting hairs...
Truth be told i have never been to the cemetery or the bridge, just found them when i was researching the route...
__________________
Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
Oklahoma Adventure Trail
YouTube
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #140
JPDenny
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Greater Sapulpa
Oddometer: 36
I love this thread!! Can't wait to replace my stolen GPS so I can add to it.
JPDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #141
OKlr OP
Youtube whore
 
OKlr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Ponca City Oklahoma
Oddometer: 762
i like the idea of the regular oat with as much as posible, then option routes to other interesting things. I will I have kinda done that with a few waypoints to show interesting things nearby the route, but not actualy on the route. I was looking at a website the other day that had pictures of really old and interesting bridges in oklahoma, but i wasn't going to do a reroute just to include them. Maybe i should just add a waypoint for something interesting and if you want to check it out you can head over there.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #142
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
airdale7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Ocala, Fl
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDenny View Post
I love this thread!! Can't wait to replace my stolen GPS so I can add to it.
We both wishing for Mr S. Claus to bring a good GPS. I've been trying to use Google Maps and Earth to show some scenic routes and just cant figure it out. Maybe some good sale after Christmas will bring us luck.

Meanwhile, have you came up with a good day off excuse for the LROTY? The weather is not looking so great but that just makes it an adventure.
__________________
www.twowheelsthreeamericas.com

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #143
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kiltedcrawford's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
i like the idea of the regular oat with as much as posible, then option routes to other interesting things. I will I have kinda done that with a few waypoints to show interesting things nearby the route, but not actualy on the route. I was looking at a website the other day that had pictures of really old and interesting bridges in oklahoma, but i wasn't going to do a reroute just to include them. Maybe i should just add a waypoint for something interesting and if you want to check it out you can head over there.
I don't know how other state's "trails" are routed, but this seems like the best way to do it. You just can't include every cool thing on one route, I think.

This way there would be optional routes for old bridges, frogs, dead circus elephants and the Panhandle. It's a win-win.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #144
OKlr OP
Youtube whore
 
OKlr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Ponca City Oklahoma
Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
I don't know how other state's "trails" are routed, but this seems like the best way to do it. You just can't include every cool thing on one route, I think.

This way there would be optional routes for old bridges, frogs, dead circus elephants and the Panhandle. It's a win-win.
OMG don't even joke about removing the poor little frog from the ride. Kermit is the mascot........................of something.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #145
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kiltedcrawford's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
OMG don't even joke about removing the poor little frog from the ride. Kermit is the mascot........................of something.
Haha, I guess I accidentally lumped the frog in with the optional stuff. That was purely an oversight; I would NEVER suggest removing Kermit.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #146
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
OMG don't even joke about removing the poor little frog from the ride. Kermit is the mascot........................of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
Haha, I guess I accidentally lumped the frog in with the optional stuff. That was purely an oversight; I would NEVER suggest removing Kermit.
Ok, now you guys are giving me a complex , froggy is actually a little ways down a dead end road, or at best a short loop. I rode right past his road (he does have his very own road, Frog Road!) when I was riding that section of the OAT.

I have visited him a couple if times in the past though.

Forgive me.


.
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #147
OKlr OP
Youtube whore
 
OKlr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Ponca City Oklahoma
Oddometer: 762
Well i'm moved. And christmas presents from the family added to my to do list: ims shifter, tire irons, offroad pegs, exhaust endcap! I'm not fully up and running yet, since the bike is stuck in the garage behind boxes. I will be hitting this trail hard this spring.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #148
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
airdale7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Ocala, Fl
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
Well i'm moved. And christmas presents from the family added to my to do list: ims shifter, tire irons, offroad pegs, exhaust endcap! I'm not fully up and running yet, since the bike is stuck in the garage behind boxes. I will be hitting this trail hard this spring.
Well happy new year. I forget where you say you moved too but somewhere near the Kansas border.

Hey y'all. A friend says these KLR have Califon emmission and if some little hole were drilled out a fraction it gets more air and so there is less need to choke it.
Any comments?
__________________
www.twowheelsthreeamericas.com

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #149
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kiltedcrawford's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
Well i'm moved. And christmas presents from the family added to my to do list: ims shifter, tire irons, offroad pegs, exhaust endcap! I'm not fully up and running yet, since the bike is stuck in the garage behind boxes. I will be hitting this trail hard this spring.
Well, with the way the weather's been you haven't missed much.
I'm ready to hit some of the new trail/trail I missed as well, and will have to talk Cropear into tackling the crossing at Granite with me.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #150
OKlr OP
Youtube whore
 
OKlr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Ponca City Oklahoma
Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
Well happy new year. I forget where you say you moved too but somewhere near the Kansas border.

Hey y'all. A friend says these KLR have Califon emmission and if some little hole were drilled out a fraction it gets more air and so there is less need to choke it.
Any comments?
Moved to Ponca City.

I have done the .22 cent mod on my carb and it helped a bit with throttle response. It requires drilling out the vent hole in the slide just a shade larger, and adding a washer under the needle. Pretty simple stuff if you know how to remove the carb.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014