ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #16
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
I can't download the gps track to locate whereabouts in the salt plains state park you go.
Here is link to google maps for the route around Salt Plains.

http://goo.gl/maps/ndAeN

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
i think it would be a blast to do the whole thing as a rally. ride the route at the speed limit get an average time and see who can get the closest to that time. test peoples endurance and ability to "Find the Way", the French translation for "Rally". you would loose points being too early or too late. bivouac at night in designated areas.
one of the events i helped put on.
NRE
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 775
it's geezerville in action here, found my 2008 disc of garmin city something and loaded it on a fresher computer to use it with my vintage 2610. neat route you guys are putting together, and thank you for the link to the google map.

Shawnee Bill, how did you get the short link to the google direction map?

to go on the rally map: a small beer bar/restaurant 1 mile north of the bridge over the Salt Plains River(by the dam)

Rockydog woofs the isles, British isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob View Post
I added an alternate route (track) in the NE quadrant. It takes you through the Nickel Preserve.
You're very likely to see elk, maybe you'll see a black bear. (I've seen elk every time I've been through, never a bear)

Nickel Preserve Link
I downloaded your file, will check it out later when i have time. Got family over right now.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Quote:
I can't download the gps track to locate whereabouts in the salt plains state park you go, but on the east side of the park there is access to the salt flats. Go south from Cherokee(hiway 58, 64) 4 miles, turn east on county road E0210 12 miles, there is a wide 1 mile access road the area where you dig for salt crystals.

the restaurant in downtown Cherokee has a good breakfast.

South of the lake is a free campground with water, restrooms, tables and firepits(lotsa wood available). North from Jet 6 miles(hiway 38) to the first curve, pavement goes east, road to camp entrance is west of the cedar fenced residential area, go past campground sign north for a short mile on a 2 track dirt road.

looks like this

Since i have never rode up that way, i was kinda playing it by ear on that part of the map. If you want to map out that section on something (basecamp, google, paper maps i don't care.....) then post it up i'll edit the main track with the new info on it.

I'm glad to see people showing interest in this thing.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
i think it would be a blast to do the whole thing as a rally. ride the route at the speed limit get an average time and see who can get the closest to that time. test peoples endurance and ability to "Find the Way", the French translation for "Rally". you would loose points being too early or too late. bivouac at night in designated areas.
one of the events i helped put on.
NRE
Of all the different events called "rallies" these days I wasn't thinking of that type of Rally. That would take a lot of work to put together a route book. There have been a couple of "Street Enduros" in Oklahoma much like what you suggest, publish a route book, then the closest to a predetermined time wins. They were ride on your own schedule, self timed on the honor system with a several month window to complete the route. I think they were all under 100 miles though. I did a fun one west of OKC a few years ago.

It could be done. More dual sport riders in Oklahoma every day it seems.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
it's geezerville in action here, found my 2008 disc of garmin city something and loaded it on a fresher computer to use it with my vintage 2610. neat route you guys are putting together, and thank you for the link to the google map.

Shawnee Bill, how did you get the short link to the google direction map?

to go on the rally map: a small beer bar/restaurant 1 mile north of the bridge over the Salt Plains River(by the dam)
That's newer stuff than I'm using with my 2610, roads away from big city areas don't change very much over the years.

The google map route I just built in google maps by hand by looking at Basecamp or Mapsource. A short piece like that is pretty easy really.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,248
I've been following this thread with interest. I decided to re-draw the tracks into a route. There are sections which are done in "direct routes" (similar to tracks).

It's quite a long route actually.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Oklahoma Loop.gpx (1.29 MB, 176 views)
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
I've been following this thread with interest. I decided to re-draw the tracks into a route. There are sections which are done in "direct routes" (similar to tracks).

It's quite a long route actually.
I kept it in sections to avoid crashing some gps units. Also basecamp has a route to track thing that will convert it auto, but it adds alot of not needed points. I'm not sure whitch method would be better for gps units. Anyone an expert on this?

Looks like its at 1353 miles. That's one hell of a loop. It could be shaved down if needed.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #25
rockydog
just a guy

My question is about the short link to the map, how did you get that? Google maps are difficult to share, at least for me

Old 11-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #26
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

I retraced the track in MapSource. The short off road bits were made by going into the Edit tab and clicking: preferences>routing>direct routes

This essentially drops waypoints where you want them. I dropped those weigh points where Oklr had them. After I was back on a road I reversed the process and used "Auto Routes". When you hit one of the waypointed sections the screen will show each waypoint but it clearly shows the road or track in question.

As Oklr stated routes aren't for everyone but the venerable GPSmap 276 as well as the new Montana can handle a route like this.

I used the same method for laying out an 1100 mile route through Colorado, Utah and Wyoming last summer. It works fine.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My question is about the short link to the map, how did you get that? Google maps are difficult to share, at least for me
In google maps when you have your route ready, look in the left side frame where the directions are shown, at the upper right of that frame you see an icon of a couple of chain links. Click that, a small selector box pops out to the right, in that box there is a link and above that a check box that says 'Short URL'. Click that and google will generate a 'short URL' to copy and paste.

Short URL: http://goo.gl/maps/nGcnA

Long URL: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W+...0&sz=8&t=m&z=8

You can then copy and paste those wherever, Forum post, email, etc.
If you notice in what I call the long URL there is "...", something, I think the ADVrider forum software replaces what is really there and displays "..." but the entire link is there and used when you click.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale

Shawnee Bill screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 09:00 PM
Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #28
rockydog
just a guy

Thank you, S B, I didn't know that. here is a link to the locations of the free campground and access to the salt flats.

http://goo.gl/maps/OjvC0

Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #29
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

changed the route to include the digging area.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #30
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Whats "The Digging Area" and which waypoint?