ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
madrivermaz OP
Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,002
Hurricane Sandy Pictures

Let's post blow by blow pictures of what Sandy brings us here.

They're calling it Frankenstorm up here in CT because of the cold front coming down from Canada that could have devastating effects on NJ, NY, CT, and MA. Snow, ice, rain....who knows!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Nowadays it seems like EVERY storm is hyped as an upcoming disaster. I am tired of it. And the ones that ARE a fucking disaster, like last year's Halloween Weekend storm (at my house, 25 inches of heavy wet snow in ONE storm) come as a surprise. Sandy might not come north of Philadelphia so maybe we won't get jack shit up here in MA. I'll make sure we have some gas for the generator if we need to power it up for a couple of days. Longer than that and we'd leave town.

BTW, I was in the Domincan Republic when Sandy went by. We just had outskirts effects, a lot of rain heavy at times for a couple of days. A substantial number of people died in Haiti which shares the same island with the DR. The Haitian end is closer to Jamaica where the storm was but I think the main reason for the deaths was deforestation that increase runoff and flooding, and extreme poverty that causes people to have inferior shelter and to be living in more places subject to flooding (like squatting in ravines).
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
madrivermaz OP
Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,002
yup. And this is New England up here. It is prone to get weather, serious weather. I don't think we get the weather we did when I was young. I can remember snow drifts 8+ feet high regularly during the winter. Now, a snow drift is big news!
We'd get hurricanes on a regular basis too. That's why we now have flood control dams.

I figure there'll be some good footage where this thing comes ashore and, rather than waiting for the news to report the most damaging stuff, we could see what it really looks like.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,016
It's hype to get consumers to spend money.

I went to Bennington tonight for some shopping...... bread and bottled water shelves were nearly empty. Went to the Home Depot across the street..... not one generator! Longer than the usual Friday night lines at the gas pumps and people filling gas cans.

Not saying people shouldn't prepare but this is ridiculous.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
I'm prepared.. The bucket trucks are fueled up, The chainsaws are all serviced and ready to go, and There's a tv dinner or two in the freezer..

justme23005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
Q: What do Kim Kardashian and Hurricanes have in common?
A: They will both blow the entire east coast just to get on TV.
"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
Creekgeek
Chief Fry Chef Mgr

Oddometer: 558
Was supposed to cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda leaving last night. They waited until we all got aboard, then told us they were not going to Bermuda, but would go find the "smoothest water possible" instead as a destination. Wife and I got off after the free buffett to eat donuts at home instead of cutting donuts in the Atlantic aboard a ship.
So no real pics to post, but the store shelves in Maryland were pretty bare. I had milk from a pint carton this morning as that is all that was left on the shelf.... My advise...pre-stock your beer and alcohol now.
Creekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860
WTF? If you're going to be stuck in the house for a day or two, the thing you want is bread & milk? Yeah, they're fine, but shit, I want soda, beer, pretzels, tostitos, chips, cookies (oh that's right.............I DO need milk), COFFEE, and a few other things for me & Mrs.O.C.F. to pass the time.
Wonder if I'm gonna get to use that super-duper Honda ES6500 generator that we bought last April and haven't had the occasion to use even once yet???
We're ready though!

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
tommymac92
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
WTF? If you're going to be stuck in the house for a day or two, the thing you want is bread & milk? Yeah, they're fine, but shit, I want soda, beer, pretzels, tostitos, chips, cookies (oh that's right.............I DO need milk), COFFEE, and a few other things for me & Mrs.O.C.F. to pass the time.
Wonder if I'm gonna get to use that super-duper Honda ES6500 generator that we bought last April and haven't had the occasion to use even once yet???
We're ready though!

Chris
I am embarassed the 2 barrels of my kegerator are now empty, but I had been aging 6 cases of brooklyn choc stout so I will tap into that if need be.

I am on the south shore of LI and am very close to the water and am more or les son a small peninsula. With irene we did ok, but soem houses by the channel were flooded very badly and soem are still not inhabited. I will probably be home for most of the storm unless i get mandated at the hospital ( Iam an emergency medicine PA-C) so I may try to get out and get soem pics of the carnage as it goes. No word on evacuations yet. I may send the wife and kid sout early and ride it out in hopes of saving what I can in the house.
tommymac92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860
I hope you don't get hit to badly.
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Ballics
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 267

Ballics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac92 View Post
I am on the south shore of LI and am very close to the water...
Yeah, close to the water may not be a good place to be. For coastal areas this could be serious. I'm inland and live on top of a hill. Up here the risk would be falling trees. The white pines are over 100 feet tall (I've felled some and measured them) so they have a big radius they could go down in.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Yeah, close to the water may not be a good place to be. For coastal areas this could be serious. I'm inland and live on top of a hill. Up here the risk would be falling trees. The white pines are over 100 feet tall (I've felled some and measured them) so they have a big radius they could go down in.
Folks out here (da West) don't know what those trees look like........unless you find Sequoias....

Wife went to her ummm.... fortieth reunion on Long Island last month....hope they stay high and dry for Sandy......

Great to see you felling trees and checking out their kahuna's......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 725
Good luck folks.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 535
Towns around us took a shellacking from Irene last year. Our little part of town didn't fare too badly, but my son's school was flooded and wound up closed for a week. He says if Sandy gives him another vacation he won't mind .

Bought some water today, and found myself better prepared than I thought, what with all my gear from the huge bike trip I took this summer. ADV riding makes for good hurricane prep .

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is online now   Reply With Quote