User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Will a PN-60 Display Multiple Tracks Simultaneously?

I am seriously thinking about moving from my GPSMap 60CS to a DeLorme Earthmate PN-60 (see here). I have been reading the PN-60 User Manual online and it speaks of being able to open a Saved Track, as in only a single track. Is it possible to display multiple saved tracks simultaneously? Here is how I do things on my Garmin.

I build and manage all my tracks in DeLorme Topo. For Topo users--I manually draw in any sections that are not routeable, make a route for everything worth riding in an area, save it as a GPL Log File, convert it using GPSBabel to a 500 point track, and then load it with Mapsource into my GPS. For a number of reasons, it is not uncommon to for me to build separate, adjacent tracks and then load them all into my Garmin and have them all turned on, i.e. displaying at the same time. Am I going to be able to this a PN-60? Or am I not even thinking about this clearly?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Reading the DeLorme Forum, it looks as if I need to rethink how I do things:

" you can only see one saved track at a time on the GPSr (in addition to the current, active track). Draw lines are not routable. On the other hand, you can see many draw layers simultaneously on the GPSr, or you can combine multiple draw lines in a single draw layer. This allows you to do things like mark multiple trails in different colors and see them all at the same time on the unit."

Jay
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
Reading the DeLorme Forum, it looks as if I need to rethink how I do things:

" you can only see one saved track at a time on the GPSr (in addition to the current, active track). Draw lines are not routable. On the other hand, you can see many draw layers simultaneously on the GPSr, or you can combine multiple draw lines in a single draw layer. This allows you to do things like mark multiple trails in different colors and see them all at the same time on the unit."

Jay
I think if you make the move to a Delorme, you'll be answering your own questions a lot of the time... Not to say their gps units are not good...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
I am seriously thinking about moving from my GPSMap 60CS to a DeLorme Earthmate PN-60 (see here).
Do you plan to use the PN-60 only in North America, (Canada, Mexico & USA)?

If not, do some homework regarding availability of maps.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Do you plan to use the PN-60 only in North America, (Canada, Mexico & USA)?

If not, do some homework regarding availability of maps.

daryl
That is the reason that I moved from a PN-60 to a 60csx. I REALLY liked the Delorme software and unit, and while there aren't nearly as many users of the Delorme, there are some really smart dudes on their forums. Shame that I couldn't get foreign maps for it.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #6
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
That is the reason that I moved from a PN-60 to a 60csx. I REALLY liked the Delorme software and unit, and while there aren't nearly as many users of the Delorme, there are some really smart dudes on their forums. Shame that I couldn't get foreign maps for it.
Same here, I replaced my PN-40 with a Garmin GPSmap 62s.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote