User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #136
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Ridgeline suffers from poor gas mileage so its off my radar...

Not all Americans want to piss $$$ out their exhaust. Its unfortunate that there truly doesn't seem to be a vehicle on the market that suits my needs
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #137
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

Not all Americans want to piss $$$ out their exhaust. Its unfortunate that there truly doesn't seem to be a vehicle on the market that suits my needs
The last time I checked mine I got 19 highway/city combined. moving furniture while in town. Granted, it isn't in the Civic range, but it is respectable for a truck and I didn't buy it expecting to get 30MPG. I have not checked it just highway for a while. My 04 Pilot got nearly 24 on a trip to Maine with four people and luggage. I was so shocked I triple checked it.

Perhaps you'll have to build one then.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #138
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

Same here. My truck is a 2001 F150. Its starting to rust out. It will have to hang in there for a while longer, I suppose. I don't see anything coming down the pike that will replace it.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #139
NiñoMoco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Picked this up for $200. Get 20 mpg pretty regular with mixed driving. Some guy smashed the right side of it about a year later and I got $2000. Still driving it so it has paid me.
NiñoMoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #140
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo_52 View Post
Saw several small 4-door diesel powered trucks (Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi, Toyota Hilux) on my last trip to Scotland. This is the type of truck we need here: http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehi...eandefficiency

----->Al
Small diesel pickups are out there in the USA, but they are rare. Probably the best are the Toyotas but they are underpowered for most people in the US. I would find them so too as I think my gas 4 cyl. Toy pickup is underpowered and it has 20 percent more power than the turbo diesel Toy pickups.

There are some people who are putting the 5 cyl MB 1980s diesels in some Toyota pickups - supposed to be a good swap and a long life engine.

A few stick in a Cummins 4BT but that seems to me to be a very heavy engine for the truck, limited RPMs (makes its power between 1600 and 2000 RPM) and would need a close ratio six speed built to handle the engine, which the only ones suitable would add hundreds of more pounds to the already heavy combo. Then you would have to add axles that could handle the weight and power. It would probably wind up being a 4000 pound truck - which while lighter than my almost 8000 pound Dodge with a 6BT in it, would probably be an altogether different pickup with regards to handling.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #141
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,297

DW

I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.

Canada eh...http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...nadabikini.gif
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: