User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
DR650 Suitable for tall folks?

I am 6-3 , 34 inseam and currently ride an r1150gs that I love but it is a challenge in anything beyond good dirt roads especially if it is wet. I am thinking about getting a 650 Thumper for more fun offroad.
I had to modify my GS significantly to get a decent fit and am wondering if there is any reasonable way to make the Dr650 a taller bike and add lower pegs other than just more seat foam. I guess I wonder if the bike can properly fit tall guys or not. I will still be needing to do several hours on the pavement getting to decent offroad destinations so I figured the Dr is the way to go but maybe a xr650l would be a better as they tall out of the box.
Any pics of tall Dr650's with or without riders?
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Seat Concepts has a taller seat kit,pro cycle has some really low pegs,or put the 1.5" lower peg brackets on like Ive got on mine,they help lots for long legs. Taller bars are good also.

650L has not much leg room and theres no where to go for lowering the pegs,they are already low down on the frame.they arent the best bike for a tall person.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I am 6 foot tall and found the stock DR very comfortable, just needs a better seat for all day rides.
Most bikes are much worse.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Footdragger,
THANKS for the info
sounds like you are happy that your mods make it work. How tall are you? Do you know what the seat to peg distance is by chance?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
I am exactly your height and inseam and rode fine stock for a few thousand miles. Then I add a taller by design seat concepts cover, lowered pegs, and a 1 inch bar riser and it fits like a glove now.
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
I am 6-3 , 34 inseam and currently ride an r1150gs that I love but it is a challenge in anything beyond good dirt roads especially if it is wet. I am thinking about getting a 650 Thumper for more fun offroad.
I had to modify my GS significantly to get a decent fit and am wondering if there is any reasonable way to make the Dr650 a taller bike and add lower pegs other than just more seat foam. I guess I wonder if the bike can properly fit tall guys or not. I will still be needing to do several hours on the pavement getting to decent offroad destinations so I figured the Dr is the way to go but maybe a xr650l would be a better as they tall out of the box.
Any pics of tall Dr650's with or without riders?
I'm also 6'3" with a 34 inseam, I ride an xr650l that was slightly lowered and revalved/resprung front and back, the suspension is awesome.....its still suprisingly tall tho, if I couldn't see the Kouba link on it, and talked to the po about it, I would have swore it was stock height.
It does fit me perfectly tho.....definately a tall mans bike
I wanted to add I have no issues with the seat-to-peg distance etc, the bike fits me great...plus it has a pretty comfy stock seat for a dirt bike, better than my hayabusa for longer rides.

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 08:32 PM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,078
You can build up the seat, get lower mounts for the pegs, get lowering brackets for the pegs that also move them rearward, bolt on some touring pegs, get some bar-risers, get some taller bars, and slide further back in the seat when eating miles.

If you want taller suspension, and even more travel, it's available out there for the DR too.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 617
Ultimate highway pegs

If you get one with a 32 litre Safari tank you can always piut your feet up and stretch you legs

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,247
Big Cuz is 6' 5" and was comfortable on my stock DR.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Those pics make that bike look like a toy under you !
It sounds like there are fit options however. I sat on a xr600l in a shop last week and it felt pretty good except for the high pegs which do not sound easy to correct so maybe the dr has better for options
Does anyone have links to suspension raising options for the dr. I read on here somewhere that raising links don't work

thanks for all of the great feedback so far

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 722
I had a a dr650 with Eibach springs F&R for your weight, rebuilt the pogo spring rear shock, Cogent.
Renazco Racing rebuilt the seat to my specs
High bar mounts from Keintech with 2" rox risers and ProTaper Pastrana ATV high bars.
mademyown brand peg lowerers.
the bike fit perfect, sold it later on and wish I had it today
6'3" 32" inseam and 230 lbs.

You will have to spend a few or more bucks to make it fit very well but it will transform the bike.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
I am 6',I finally went with Tusk bar risers and cheepo beepo wider ebay foot pegs,way better than stock:
Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
el capitan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
@inniswhe: Im 184 cm/6"1 with an inseam of 36 @ 80 kg/180lbs. I dropped the pegs, replaced them with wider cheapo-China-pegs, raised the handlebar, swapped the stock handlebar for a Renthal KTM, raised the rear about 30 mm/1,2" and upholstered the seat. Now ergonomics are perfect for me.The lowered pegs made most of the difference - before, I always had the impression to sit "uphill". Changing the seat is a must and risers and different handlebar helped a lot when standing. Reads like a long list, but was made step by step and did not cost much.
The DR will never handle like a BMX in the tight stuff but you can really make the bike suit you. Good old DR is such a simple bike you can also tune it using simple mods and change not only ergonomics, but also carburation, seat, suspension and so on the easy way. I wanted to go "back to the roots" and could not have picked a better bike for that.
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
Footdragger,
THANKS for the info
sounds like you are happy that your mods make it work. How tall are you? Do you know what the seat to peg distance is by chance?
Im not that tall,only 6'. The peg brackets I put on are 1.5" lower and I think 1'5" back as well,for me its way better in the standing position and also gives me better legroom then my 1200 Triumph sport touring bike.
The Pro cycle pegs are lower yet but..they also do away with the stock rubber mounted pegs.
I like the rubber mounts for the pavement rides I do with the bike,they buzz some if solid mounted. Ive also got a Corbin seat so the seat to peg length may be different then stock.
The Seat Concepts guys are great though,they will most likely build you an even taller seat if you desired,comfy seats.

The suspension really needs to be redone for any sort of semi serious riding,its a low riding bike and with stock springs and valving it mushes around something fierce.Its been the biggest improvement for the DR.
I did the race tech treatment front and rear.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 05:39 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Super sized

I have a DR650 and so do several of my friends who are 6' +". With a set of 2" bar risers (Jessie's) and some lower peg mounts (Pro Cycle) you'll be set. I ran into a 6'4" rider with a 36" inseam, he added a taller seat as well. I would definitely add a 14 tooth sprocket for more low end pull.
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote