Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
....Reason im asking is the other day i had to go somewhere,
What was so imortant that you "had to" go right that minute? Call your wife and have her come back with the car. Call a friend. find a store that delivers. What did you "have to" go out for? Call a taxi; funny how you have to have the kid strapped into a seat in a car, but you can just sit 'wm on the bike....

Seriously, suppose you have to make an emergency maneuver that requires both hands to the bars for you to maintain cotnrol while you are braking and sweriving, how are you going to hold onto the kid? Strapped to a carrier attached to your body? If you fall on him you'll crush him and possibly kill him while his cushioning effect saves you.

I say avoid doing this unless it is so important for you to go out that it would warrant a 9-1-1 call. In which case you WOULDN'T have to go since 9-1-1 brings help to you.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,723
Quote:
Gotcha, well good to know, i was just asking cause i really did not know anything about it, and figured the people on here would know, as i know most of us have kids.

Thanks for posting up the actuall rules AZbiker, that is good to know, my 6 year old is good to go, the young one, is a no go for sure, good call about the cab too just in case.
Unfortunately, based on the CA rules that were posted, your 6 year old is not good to go. As of January this year, kids up to 8 years old are required to be in a car seat.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 418
There's no way I'd take a kid that young on a street ride, however:

Many moons ago when my kids turned three or so, I'd take them for short rides on dirt roads through the central Oregon woods, with one of them sitting on the tank of my XL 250 and holding onto the the crossbar. Low speeds of course; we'd talk while idling along so I knew they were doing okay. The biggest problem I had was that they tended to fall asleep occasionally. More than once I handed a groggy kid to Grandma after a warm afternoon's ride.

At the time there was a fair amount of cattle wandering around grazing; I'd sometimes hear from my passenger "Daddy! Don't run over the poop!"
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #19
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,478
Let's see . . .

A heavy, ill fitting helmet on a weak-necked infant's head. How much, actually how little, force will it take to snap the little tyke's neck?

And you trust the kid to hold on, or will you be using one arm to hold the kid?

I'm generally in the "let the kids ride in the back of a pickup truck" camp if the parents so choose. But this is just an awful idea. (and the stuff that leads to governments to pass laws that restrict reasonable parents). Seriously, the more I think about this, there is nothing even remotely reasonable about it.

Thanks for asking, but if it comes up again, don't fucking do it. Please. Pretty please.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It's your kid. If you can figure out a way to mitigate the risk down to a reasonable level and find a way to keep him on the bike then go for it.

[key up the "it takes a village" people]

The only real issue I see here is the legality aspect.

I do have to laugh at all of the doomsdayers responding in this thread. How the hell do you guys make it through a day with all those deadly what ifs plaguing you? Do you all constantly twitch like chihuahuas or do you just tense up and fall over like those fainting goats at the first sign of trouble ?

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
So if im reading this correctly, what you inmates are saying is this

Buy a rear rack and bungee cord the toddler onto the rear rack, with a full size mx style open helmet, ok go it.

Lots of what if's for sure, lol

Calm down, i never did it, i was just asking to see if others have had come across the same situation, but in all seriousness now, yeah you guys are absolutely right, no bueno, gotcha!

So now kids have to be in booster seats until they are 8 years old? thats news to me, i thought it was once they are 45 pounds or more, they no longer need a booster seat.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post

The only real issue I see here is the legality aspect.

I do have to laugh at all of the doomsdayers responding in this thread. How the hell do you guys make it through a day with all those deadly what ifs plaguing you? Do you all constantly twitch like chihuahuas or do you just tense up and fall over like those fainting goats at the first sign of trouble ?
So you've never dropped a motorcycle and also advocate breaking the law and putting a child in harm's way?
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #23
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
So you've never dropped a motorcycle and also advocate breaking the law and putting a child in harm's way?
Sure, let's go with that.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,723
Quote:

So now kids have to be in booster seats until they are 8 years old? thats news to me, i thought it was once they are 45 pounds or more, they no longer need a booster seat.
Law changed as of January 2012
Old 10-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 622
Having a chuckle

Not at your Q , because I can, and do, appreciate the dilemma.. But at the thought that in a day and age where you can't even go pay for your gas and leave your kid in the car without fear of someone calling the cops on you... The line of mad mothers chasing you down in Minivans and black SUV-burbans to kick your ass would stretch around the block.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #26
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Give the little bugger a snort of Brandy.. When he falls asleep stuff him in a backpack strap it on your back and go run your errand. That way nobody with see him.

You're welcome.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
I probably would not do it myself. But I wont bag on you for doing so, it's your kid.
But I grew up in a time when it was perfectly legal to ride in the back of a pickup truck and you wouldn't get arrested for letting your kid ride a bicycle without a helmet.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #28
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
How would it go over if you had to call your wife and tell her you biffed with little Jethro on the back?
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Give the little bugger a snort of Brandy.. When he falls asleep stuff him in a backpack strap it on your back and go run your errand. That way nobody with see him.

You're welcome.
"CHILD REARING TIPS BY DAKEZ" SUBFORUM NOW!!!!

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #30
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
"CHILD REARING TIPS BY DAKEZ" SUBFORUM NOW!!!!
If I wanted my kid reared I would have sent him to Catholic school.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote