ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #31
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers
 
AZbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, in the Arcadia area
Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
If I wanted my kid reared I would have sent him to Catholic school.




Well played, sir.
__________________
rubber side down,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #32
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,473
Kida bones are green so is there skull a minor spill adults walkaway from is fatal to them

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #33
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,473
Y daughter got a quad bike for her 5th biryhday she rides in top quality gear fox boots corduta armoueed pants jersy compression suit knee n shin armour gloves adr mx helmet

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #34
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Homey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: California Central Coast
Oddometer: 424
I don't know about taking an 18 moth old. They can't hold on so you've got to hold them or put them in a backpack of some kind. One hand to hold the kid isn't an option. Back when my son was around 5ish (just before he got his own dirt bike) I took him on my YZ490 to mark the trail for a dualsport event. I was just putting around and he had boots, helmet and other riding gear so I thought it'd be ok. There was a steep downhill section that I've done a hundred times but with my boy on the bike I was going real slow and the front tire tucked under and we were down before I knew it. I looked up and the bike was laying on my son's leg and he was screaming. I picked up the bike and looked at his leg and his boot was pointed backwards! I can't even describe the feeling I had. I decided that I had to get the boot off to make sure there wasn't any bleeding. It took quite a while to calm him down enough so I could undo the buckles. As soon as I undid the buckles the boot slid off his foot and his foot looked fine. I bought his boots a little big so he could grow into them and it appears that the boot slipped down and then turned around his reaction was from being scared and not hurt. He didn't even have a bruise. Talk about a relief! All I can say is that sometimes, no matter how careful you are, sometimes bad things happen. We were lucky, it could have been pretty ugly. It didn't keep us off the dirt bikes but it did get our attention.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #35
dbuzz
Citizen of the world
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: On my bike
Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Give the little bugger a snort of Brandy.. When he falls asleep stuff him in a backpack strap it on your back and go run your errand. That way nobody with see him.

You're welcome.


Better still wait til the rugrat's alseep and then nick out ... should be back before it wakes ... that way no one will notice
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #36
glasswave
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Wasatch Mtns, UT
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Is it possible to have a toddler (18 months old) on a dual sport as a passenger?
ive given him rides on the bike just around the garages in my townhouse area, but never on a actuall street,

yay, nay, or im a dumbass for even thinking about doing that.
This is very common over about 80% of the world.

Keep in mind though, in the USA and perhaps many other modern countries, if you crash, you're likely to have your child taken away and/or end up in prison.

You're lucky your neighbor hasn't called the authorities on you.
__________________
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #37
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,473
screw the baby bjorn, you need a baby holster?

Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #38
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I don't know about taking an 18 moth old. They can't hold on so you've got to hold them or put them in a backpack of some kind. One hand to hold the kid isn't an option. Back when my son was around 5ish (just before he got his own dirt bike) I took him on my YZ490 to mark the trail for a dualsport event. I was just putting around and he had boots, helmet and other riding gear so I thought it'd be ok. There was a steep downhill section that I've done a hundred times but with my boy on the bike I was going real slow and the front tire tucked under and we were down before I knew it. I looked up and the bike was laying on my son's leg and he was screaming. I picked up the bike and looked at his leg and his boot was pointed backwards! I can't even describe the feeling I had. I decided that I had to get the boot off to make sure there wasn't any bleeding. It took quite a while to calm him down enough so I could undo the buckles. As soon as I undid the buckles the boot slid off his foot and his foot looked fine. I bought his boots a little big so he could grow into them and it appears that the boot slipped down and then turned around his reaction was from being scared and not hurt. He didn't even have a bruise. Talk about a relief! All I can say is that sometimes, no matter how careful you are, sometimes bad things happen. We were lucky, it could have been pretty ugly. It didn't keep us off the dirt bikes but it did get our attention.
Glad your boy was ok, and unharmed, yeah, its better to just keep kids off the bikes altogehter is what it sounds like.


The other choice is a bit of nyquil and a jansport backpack? ok, got it.
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #39
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,089
This also looks like a good option,

__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #40
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Homey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: California Central Coast
Oddometer: 424
I object to pregnant people riding motorcycles. That guy is obviously 8-9 months pregnant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #41
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR
 
Hawk62cj5's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Va
Oddometer: 546
sidecar? Ural?
__________________
09 Super Sherpa KL250
62 CJ-5
Trailering a bike is like hiring a prostitute just to jerk off in front of her .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #42
W4lnutz
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: New Castle IN
Oddometer: 59
Laugh

if you want your wife to kill you ..........do it lol

but really the laws are different all over.

i am progressive but I would not do it.


I live in indiana and the law here says no age restriction so long as a helmet is warn if under 18

I personally dont take my son across town . He is five however I do truck him down the two one ways we live on

it makes our life easier livin in between two one ways


18 months fu git it
W4lnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #43
glasswave
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Wasatch Mtns, UT
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Is it possible to have a toddler (18 months old) on a dual sport?
NO!

Cruisers are for toddlers.

Sportbikes are for adolescents and teens.

Dual Sports are for adults!!!


__________________
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #44
Tork
Beastly Adventurer
 
Tork's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Duvall, WA.
Oddometer: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
sidecar? Ural?
I believe it was one of the Weber brothers that built a hinged sidecar for a dual sport. He had his kid in it with a car seat .

Try the search function
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=46

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42089

Tork screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 07:28 PM
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #45
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Heidiland
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
I probably would not do it myself. But I wont bag on you for doing so, it's your kid.
But I grew up in a time when it was perfectly legal to ride in the back of a pickup truck and you wouldn't get arrested for letting your kid ride a bicycle without a helmet.
How on Earth did you survive!
__________________
I think there might be a more scenic route somewhere...
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014