Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,982
No we don't get them, only started with the later model Forza's. We did get the Elite 250, but rare as rocking-horse-poo.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
OK.
I want a scoot to get to work. For me that involves 100km one-way, stay for 4 days, ride 100km home. The road is all highway stuff, a bit bumpy, rolling hills (little bubby ones, this is Australia!). Just to make it interesting, one of the trips is at night with the roos and sheep, and I have 10km of gravel. I still want a scoot, so there!
The sensible thing to do would be to buy a maxiscoot (if you read this Farquar, no I still haven't got one yet........dammit!), but the thing is I like the smaller scoots. I reckon I've had more fun trying to hang onto a Vespa 250 at 100kph through sweeping really tight bumpy highway bends in amongst mates on sportsbikes than anything else I've ridden, hooooge fun.
Anyway, a friend at work has offered me his 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One, nearly new at a good price, and I'm inches away from pulling the pin and getting the thing. It's a 125 air-cooled Leader motor, but a 200cc kit is genuine Piaggio bolt on piston/cylinder, and a Polini upgear will let it sit on 100kph for hours on end. I'd get a Vespa GTS, but they run to $5000 2nd-hand with 30K on them. This Sportcity with a 200cc kit and an upgear will come out under $2500, and has 800km on the clock. Only thing I'm not sure about is highway manners, and real-world economy. It only has 6L before reserve, so I would need to get 30km/L (70.5 mpg US) otherwise I need a jerrycan extra, no fuel stops on the way. I know they handle well, but at 100kph are they really nervous and skittish?
Secretly I hope so, to make the weekly trip more interesting......

So, all you Vespa LX150 owners, Beverly 200 owners, Sportcity 200 owners (all the older carb models), do you get this sort of economy at these speeds from this Leader motor? If you only get 25km/L or so (under 60mpg US), I might have to keep looking, I'm trying to avoid carrying extra fuel.

If I was sensible I'd get a X-Evo 400 or Burgie 400, but I'm not.
I drive my twin-turbo Supra on the gravel.
I dragrace a Vmax, even though I know it will break.......again.
I have been known to stay out at night past 9:00pm.
I have been pulled over for dragracing my daughters 50cc Hyosung scoot in the city (well. me and 4 other 50cc riders ).
I'm also old enough to not care!

Let the flaming and experience begin.......
I would take the SYM HD 200 over those choices. It's a proven reliable long distance bike without the high price.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #18
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

We've all been discussing the relative merits of these different bikes, and I thank everyone for their input. In the end I knew I shouldn't have test-ridden the thing, or I'd come home with it..........

About bloody time I got a new scoot. I never realised how much I missed the stoooopid little things until I got another one. There were a few check-items I wanted in a new ride though, and this scoot ticks NEARLY all of them.

Aircooled, for it's simplicity and ability to take high heat loads (oh yeah, and no radiator to chuck rocks through, like my last 3 bikes)......

Low km's, so I don't have to spend 3 or 4 hours between watch cycles getting it ready for another 100km trip next week (I work 4 on, 4 off). Old bikes are REALLY starting to shit me......

(963km when I first sat on it).

Reasonable capacity.....

Oh. Poop. I spose nothing I can't fix easy enough.

A halfway decent brand for halfway decent suspension and brakes.....

Gravel capable (as much as anything with road tyres anyway).......

So it would seem!

Halfway decent headlights, I do the trip up to work leaving home at 1:30am in amongst the roos and sheep......

Minimum range of 200km so I don't need to refuel?
Aaahhhh, uuhhmmmm, oh yeah. I knew I'd forgotten something......

2010 Aprilia Sportcity One 125, and I'm bloody happy!

I rode it home this afternoon, a workmate I bought it off trailered it in for me (we work in the sticks.......). The first 10km was good old West Oz "ball-bearing" gravel, not too badly corrugated though mostly, and it was very stable. I've had heaps of road bikes down through this crap, and this little Sportcity is actually very good, right up there with the old '70s UJMs (they were great......heavy, long, weight down low, skinny tyres for grip on the gravel). That was followed by another 15km of really bumpy and potholed single-lane bitumen, and up-and-down. Then after another 75km of narrow two-lane backroads highway, complete with Iron Ore road trains, a few 4m wide grain Harvesters, numerous white tray-back utes.........and one solitary little scooter!

It's quite stable on the gravel, very composed on the bumpy highway, is surprisingly unaffected by 3-dog road trains blasting by at 110kph the other way, and a pretty comfy ride. I didn't wring it's neck by a long way, the bike hasn't been over about 70kph in it's short life I reckon, so I just wound it in to about 2/3 - 3/4 throttle, then let it find it's own happy speed. There was no way I was getting a speeding ticket, HAHA! It quite happily rolled along with about 95kph showing on the speedo on the flats, 85kph up hills, and 100 downhill, and all of it with me leaning back into the gearsack like an Easyrider. The fuel economy in these conditions, all of it into a blustery 20-30kph headwind with no screen, was 21km/L. Overall average speed for the trip was 85kph.

I need I reckon about 15-16HP (which is 45% more than stock) and a 20% upgear kit, and together with a windscreen (I have already ordered a Puig City Touring), it should sit happily on 90-100kph true speed all day, up hill and down dale, even into a bit of a headwind, and return better than 22 or 23km/L on a bad day. That extra grunt is a really quick genuine Piaggio 200cc barrel and piston away (everything else on these things are the same, even the carb/head/exhaust).

If I get RROOOOOOLLLLLYYY SSTTOOOOOPPIID (which is quite possible......) I can take it out to 278cc like those German madmen do. Oh yeah,that's right, my German mate goes home for a month tomorrow........

Hey RHM, hold my coat man!

MODNROD screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 04:25 AM
MODNROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #19
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Oh, by all means, M'Lord: bring the jug, the piston, the upgear!

But if it please Your Grace, may I beg that you then take care, whilst rocketing down the long nightime gravel thus amped, to never, ever, idly think or imagine or visualize or speculate or wonder at all about what 278cc might mean on that commute, or how trivial a thing it would be to strap-on a little supplemental fuel cell, or how asking one's mate, heading as he is out to SIP-land anyhow, to leave socks, underwear, toiletries, passport out of his luggage on the way home, and maybe squeeze-in a forged connecting rod and crank and big stator, and how it would be a damned shame not to use, to unthinkingly throw away this fortuitous and karmic opportunity to cheat SIP out of their notoriously savage, even rapacious shipping charges.

For having spoken aloud the Name of Foreign Gods - 278cc! - one cannot unspeak them, must sooner-or-later propitiate them, lest they poison the mind and soul with disaffection for a mere 200.

Just sayin'...
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

I hear ya man!
Once enunciated the form cannot be undone.......

The freight charges favoured by SIP is one reason I mentioned the mate going home on holidays for a month, but freight in general out of Euro-zone is a bit harsh.

278cc is definately an option, but I'm probably going to put my Captain Sensible hat on, and probably keep it down to 185cc. Captain Chaos can wait till later.

First things first though, the really important things to look for.........the cup holder goes on this morning.

Have a good one man.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Following this thread with interest.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
bravada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Keep us posted this sounds like fun. I making popcorn right now........

What diameter wheels come on the bike? Will you upgrade the tires also? Gravel and super sticky street tires don't sound like a good mix.

I have a lx 150 and don't know if I would consider a 100 klick commute every day. When I do tour I like to stretch my legs every 35 k or so. My gas mileage averages between 60-63 mpg. Good Luck!!!!

Looking to here of your adventure with the mods as I would like to do the something along the same to mine.

Good Luck!!!!
bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #23
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

The Sportcity One has 14" wheels, 120/70-14 tyres.The normal bigger liquid-cooled SCs have 15" wheels.
Standard fitment is Cheng Shin, I'm sure they are an honourable company with good products, but my front tyre unfortunately isn't one of them, after 1000km it is so out of round it damn near shakes the tyre off the deck above 80kph........
I thought if I had to change the tyres anyway, I've always been partial to Michelin Pilots, but all I can find locally is a Bridgestone for the tidy sum of $130 before fitting, so I might have to look around a bit. A carved block of wood would be an improvement at the moment........

As for the gravel, scoots are rear weight biased which helps a lot, and very low CofG which helps again, so it's a bit like dealing with a junkie, no sudden movements and just keep cruising along and you should be fine!

If you have the LX150, check out the link mentioned above, it will have more info than you could poke a stick at. I've been asked a dozen times why I bought a little 125 for an hour long commute on bumpy highways then modify it for more top end cruising speed, but basically it boils down to the ease in which I can make it what I want. It's almost impossible to buy a 1/2way decent 200cc-250cc aircooled scoot off the floor, which still handles like a scoot (not like a maxiscoot). A SC 250 or SC 300 Cube would probably do the job much better, but I'm loving the whole no radiator to worry about, and the 120kg wet weight already! I'm happy to potter along at 90-100kph all day anyway, so this little thing suits me fine.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #24
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633

Meanwhile, over in Indonesia . . .
Honda Beat Off-Road modification

Yamaha Fino . . . modded! Yamaha in India markets their 114cc Fino. Just two of various non-standard Finos.

Here in Oz, it is the humble ex-postie bike which comes in for (sometimes) radical makeovers.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #25
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Hey mate.
You know if I had been able to buy a little 125cc Honda/Yamaha scoot, like the ones they have in SE Asia everywhere, that would probably have been high on my list. Honda Innova, I think they call them? I did consider the postie bike and also the Sym Symba, then a Lifan 150+ swap, but I'm glad I picked a "proper" scoot, I'm diggin it!

They race those things in a version of Rallycross in Indonesia and Thailand, looks like bloody good fun too.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #26
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

you know what's cool about this whole deal? your devotion and preference for maximizing small bikes, the little ones; those whose scale and size may mean that one's feet-as-outriggers can be as much an integral component as tires (or tyres, as you prefer), and the hightened influence of body weight-shifting as an input.

I explain myself badly, as always...let me see...will anyone get my drift if I say that I found the Vespa GTS 250ie to be...too big, too heavy? I sold it off after a year or so with not a look backwards. it manuvered well, was certainly powerful and responsive enough, but somehow the mass and bulk of the thing seemed of a very great and dense specific gravity, like lead, or ukranian blackbread.

the Yamaha Zuma 125, especially upgeared...now that was a scooter whose corpus amplified its power-plant; not real tiny but compact, amazingly whippable, unbeateable in city traffic. Astounding with a BBK...but I diverge, and veer close to a threadjack...
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #27
bravada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I'm happy to potter along at 90-100kph all day anyway, so this little thing suits me fine.[/QUOTE]

You hit it on the head. The size of these machines while not perfect are very flexible. Now targeting a 110-115kph cruise.
One could do almost anything.

In the States this target cruise speed would be perfect when needing to put on the miles yet still having all the advantages in the city.
bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #28
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Yeah, that's pretty much the deal for me too. These little toys respond to inputs almost telepathically, no steering into a bend, moving your head a bit is enough weight change to start it dropping in! If I could keep that responsiveness and gain a 100kph cruise speed at 3/4 throttle, then aaaaahhhh! I got the bug big time after riding my daughters little 50cc, loved them ever since.

The big bikes are fun, but very different. My Vmax takes off the line pretty quick, still easily the equal of most new bikes for the first 100m, but the highways are a an exercise in deliberate movements, subject to variation mid-corner for bumps and slight wallows, or occasionally when running over a small hairy elephant......not much other than it's own frame will move the thing off line. I need a whole lane to maintain a straight line on the highway at 120kph, and when I whack the throttle I always ensure the other lane is free too! It is a source of great angst to me that I have never done 200MPH on a bike before, only 198. These little scoots are a reminder that bikes are fun, they don't have to be stoooopid fast or set a record.

Anyway, I'm just loving this little thing. Sitting on 90kph at the moment really doesn't concern me at all. The Vmax flexes and wobbles it's way to 100MPH in just under 7secs, the dragbike does it nearly a second faster than that (after I've plucked my eyeballs out of my bum after the launch), but neither of them are as much fun as going round that series of 60kph-marked bends on the little scoot while having the throttle pinned.........
Old 11-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Well, I've just arrived at work after riding the 100km through the dark for the first time, leaving home at 0130am. I now have a few pertinent observations.......

When the sun goes down, it gets to 10*C. When you haven't ridden at night or in the cold for a while, extremities go numb......then you start shivering, even at only 90kph.......then at my age you start to ache!

The bike now has nearly 1500km on it (over 600km last week! ), and the motor is freeing up nicely. No headwind combined with the proper run-in now has me sitting on 90kph true speed (105kph steady on the speedo) all the way here, and since my trip is almost exactly 100km, I can measure the fuel consumption pretty easily and repeatably. I filled up on arrival here tonight, and it took 4.2L/100km. This is with 2/3 - 3/4 throttle all the way.

The low beam light (left one) has a really good wide spread pattern. The high beam light (right one) has sufficient depth, but no width. Both run 35W Halogen globes. I tried running both on together by using the "passing" button (?!?!?!?!?! ), and the light beam was excellent, so now I'm going to try to save lighting power by fitting LEDs where possible, so I can have enough spare alternator output to wire up both lights together for high beam.

I'm also thinking of putting in HID, at least on high beam. That will make it easier to see the roos that insist on jumping in front of me (the brakes work really well.........).

When you run over a small 6" tall rabbit, the bike jumps into the air, and you heart jumps into your mouth!

Now, excuse me while I turn that heater on.........
Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #30
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

suicidal bunnies, hypothermia, ninja roos...for more than 60 miles...in the dark...not your average commute.