Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #31
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,055
Not your average commute indeed, but one I enjoy.

I have a new helmet on order, my current one is a really light kevlar-composite blah blah race full-face thing, very stable at high speed, but also unfortunately with a low-over-the-eyes vision port. This means that while riding along at night using the force (coz the headlights aren't quite there yet!) I need to use even more of the force to take my eyes off the road while zinging along at 90kph so I can stare at the bright Milky Way........

The new open face helmet also means I can drink out of my coffee thermos riding along while staring at the stars.
It's all good.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #32
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

I'm bored.
I'm also tired, it's 9:15pm and I've been up since 2:30am.
But I also rode the little-engine-that-could home today, and gave it a little bit of hard time, so for any future owners I have some more info........

I left work early afternoon, and the temp was 37*C, and 100km later when I got home the temp was 38.5*C. I also chased a few trucks, trying to get a slipstream. Well I tried to anyway, they're still about 5kph faster than me generally, oh well. Once off the gravel and corrugations (try to avoid them by the way.......), I wound it in to 3/4-7/8 throttle in the heat to see how it would cope. If it blew up I figured some upgrades would be in order. Unfortunately, it just kept zinging along happily, so I guess the upgrades will have to wait for a bit.
Dammit!
Anyway, the speed averaged 86kph into a 15kph headwind for the whole highway rolling hills trip home, even with the higher air temps hovering around the 100F mark for those on the other side of the world. It also averaged 4.4L for the 100km trip. I did the old-fashioned "glove-to-the-fins" trick (well, as best as I could) when I arrived home, and it was cooler than my old Kwaka Zed used to get on a really hot day, so it coped fine basically. Oil smelled fine too, not too hot.

So there you go, don't be afraid to ride these little Leader's in Summer.
Tough little buggers!

When I get the Puig windscreen here, and also the Dr Pulley sliders and Kevlar belt I have on order, I was thinking of doing a before-and-after quicky performance test. Nothing flash, I was thinking just 0-50kph (0-30mph), 0-80kph (0-50mph), and the end speed after a set distance, like 800m (1/2 mile) or something. Top speed I'm not interested in, and would be too hard anyway, too reliant on wind speeds and inclines. I remember when I was Googling high and low for any sort of real info it was pretty thin. I certainly didn't buy the thing based on a 1/4 mile test, but sometimes it's nice to see whether changing parts actually does anything at all. Most of the info could probably be applied as a % basis to other 125s I guess. It will probably be a couple of weeks away, but if anyone's interested I'll stick it in here I guess, no need for a new thread.

Ride safe.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #33
redhandmoto

Oddometer: 579
So you got an average 86kph using 3/4 to 7/8 throttle into a 15kph headwind, with the engine settled nicely into optimum operating temp while riding in an ambient 100* F. Niiiice....

Love the esprit of adventuresome yet objective & scientific inquiry, too: "Right, then...we're riding in this broiling effin' desert, keeping a smart rate for a goodly stretch where some o' yer brand-name air-cooled mills would carmelize in the heat n' well, if she blows, we''ll see the smoke 'n trow 'er cross the shoulders fer home & bang out some nice parts orders on the interWebs. Aye."

Aussies; fair dinkum right down the line.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #34
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto View Post
So you got an average 86kph using 3/4 to 7/8 throttle into a 15kph headwind, with the engine settled nicely into optimum operating temp while riding in an ambient 100* F. Niiiice....
Yep.

I'm impressed. Not bad really, my lawnmower has a bigger engine I think!

Oooh, where's my tape measure?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #35
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Woo!hoo!

I've just hotrodded the scoot!
I spose it was only a matter of time, I possibly, maybe, MIGHT have a bit of prior history........

I managed to add 7kph indicated to the top speed (averaged 3 runs, up and back, before and after, down a flat road with no wind), and it cost me all of $135 inc freight. Talk about bang for your buck.

Yep, I fitted a screen! I liked the look of the Puig City Touring, the mounts looked easy to use and/or modify to taste, and it fits well, quality product.

This a shot from the riders perspective, I've set it up so it has a slight rearwards angle that looks pleasing, and the height is level with my nose (6ft1, 34" inseam).

And if you are 1.12m tall, or 3ft8, like my just turned 4 yr old boy, it would protect you during a cyclone I rekn!

Very quiet at a 90kph cruise, wind goes just over my helmet. In case your size is different to mine, I still have 2" downwards, 2" upwards, and 2" forward/back range of adjustment.
Now.
Where's my coffee to sip while riding?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #36
redhandmoto

nice shape to that screen, in profile; more a sculpted fairing & not just a flat board.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #37
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Crossroads?

Yep, the screen works well.
My reasoning is when I rode the little thing to work a couple of days ago, I managed to average 74kph for the trip. Huh?

We had a storm brewing, and I had to ride into the teeth of a 40-50kph headwind. I almost had to hold it flat for the trip, and got here with only a few minutes to spare before going on watch. I already get up at 0100 to get ready and ride, getting up at 0030 is just too hard. Then I had to ride home in between watches to repair some storm damage at home, so up at 0230 to go on watch, get off watch at 1500, ride home through blustery 40kph sidewinds, fix the light damage (mainly to stop the dog going walkabout! It took out the fence), have a quick bowl of "Salami soup" (mmmmm! Vege soup with split peas and finely sliced thin salami stick), then ride back to work into the blustery headwind again. I got back at 1900 just in time to go to bed and do it all again. The total travelling time compared to something that will sit on 110kph was an extra 35 minutes. I've done the trip variously in an old crappy dinosaur Ford ute (1hr5mins), Supra TT (an hour easy or less), Vmax (42mins!!! HAHA!), but 1hr20mins is too long.

So now it's crossroads time. I rekn it will sit on 90kph normally, but winds kick it around big time. I really need something that will easily do 100kph without too much strain, and 110+ when really needed (like yesterday), just in case of emergencies at home, and to ensure punctuality at work.

I can get double the power pretty easily out of this little aircooled motor, with a combination of parts from Germany and Italy, and a healthy dose of good-old-fashioned race knowhow and tools in the shed, and it will do what I want I think, parts cost should be around $700. The other option is to trade the little feel-good scoot on a Sportcity 250/300 or a big fat-bummed maxiscoot (gotta love girls with big bums! ), which sounds way too much like common sense to me! The resale value of the bike isn't important, once it does what I want I'll keep it, but they're not worth a lot anyway.

Decisions, decisions.......
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #38
redhandmoto

Mmmmmm. Should think it'd be emotionally hard to leave off the littl'un before sort of getting to the bottom of its potential with some add-on bits. Still, when the distances are great, and with the chance that emegencies may arise any time at the far end, it is tempting to have the built-in assurance of performance...a tough call.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #39
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Yeah Bill, it's tough for the reasons you said.
I'm not too worried about not reaching the little one's potential, over the years now I've done it a few times with different rides and racers, so having confidence in the achievable end result means I feel less inclined to prove it all again, if you sorta see what I mean?
I have to admit at the moment I'm 50/50. A SC250 has a 10L tank, which helps, and the radiator air inlet is nowhere near the front wheel, so no chance of rock damage on the highway either.
I rekn I'll contemplate my navel for a while, and ring around, there may be a really good deal out there, maybe not. I'm still leaning towards keeping it, coz it's nearly new, but I am pondering the ease of switching to a slightly faster ride.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #40
redhandmoto

ah. Letting em go. Couldn't do it for the longest time. The reg fees and insurance were killing me when we had six - four crammed in the shed, one locked down outside, and the amped Tomos feller in the basement, carried up stairs for outings. Each got its perf. mods done, too; pipes and intakes, upjets, final drives, variators. Spiderweb of tender cables in the shed and the circuit breaker going. In the end, it was the trouble keeping all those bikes ridden, just the two of us, batteries charged, fuel systems purged of water and the expense to keep them all current.
Oh to be Leno. with Leno's staff.
Oops, threadjack, sorry.

redhandmoto screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 09:57 PM
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #41
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

No threadjack at all.
Excuse me Santa, could I please have in my shed the following:
1957 TT Moto Guzzi 350
AJS 7R, complete with tuned-length open meg.
A supercharger to go on my Vmax......as long as the carb sticks out the top of course.
One of those goofy 10ft long slammed Jap low-rider Ginza maxiscoots.
A 1970s raked, stretched, hard tail 100+ci hotrod Sportster........with whitewalls.
A VW Beetle streeter, flat black with flames and chrome hubcaps, that does low-12s on radials.

A small air-cooled scoot that sits on 100kph all day into the teeth of a storm!

I have a bit of time sitting around while tracking satellites in the wee hours ( http://ilrs.gsfc.nasa.gov/about/index.html ), and started thinking that maybe it would be smarter to improve the aero's than double the HP. Not that I intend either at first light, but some of these projects have got me wondering at the possibilities, without making the poor little scoot look like a jellybean that's gone into orbit........

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-12028.html

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aerohpcalc.html

And my favourite (might be a bit extreme though!)......

http://www.pbase.com/coreyl/image/116955384

I rekn that's about enough silly daydreaming stuff for now!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #42
redhandmoto

You know, my old Dad and his crew had the NASA contract back in the 70s to do the calibration flights (Sechelles to Au) to dial-in stations like yours. Always came home reeking of Fosters and raving about how lovely Oz was.

If you're gonna go extreme aero, please please please do a downsized pimp Ginza lowrider - the roos and bunnies will flee the track.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #43
MODNROD OP
Perpetual ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto View Post
You know, my old Dad and his crew had the NASA contract back in the 70s to do the calibration flights (Sechelles to Au) to dial-in stations like yours. Always came home reeking of Fosters and raving about how lovely Oz was.

If you're gonna go extreme aero, please please please do a downsized pimp Ginza lowrider - the roos and bunnies will flee the track.
Fosters?!?!?! Pah! Cats piss! Make mine a Jacks......
I find it unlikely us Aussies would have an influence on the drinking patterns of visiting 'Mericans! HAHA!

A stretched, slammed Ginza Ape?
Hmmmm.........