Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #31
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,678
Went out to change the coolant the other night and couldn't get the damn thing started. I'd taken the tank off last weekend and adjusted the valves, otherwise nothing else was touched. Put the tank back on and can't get her to start. Have spark so it must be something with the fuel delivery. It was starting right up before I removed the tank.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,397
got two elite 150 parts bikes ... so PM if you need anything
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #33
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Has it not started since you adjusted the valves? It is easy to adjust the valves too tight on these engines, which will cause a variety of engine starting and idling issues; I've done it. IF you're 100% certain the valve adjustment isn't the issue, I'd check out the petcock on the fuel tank; these can stick in the "closed" position, and are sensitive to pinched or leaking vacuum lines.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #34
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It hasn't started since removing the tank and adjusting the valves. The valves seem easy enough to adjust but one adjuster didn't really slide back and forth too easily. I sprayed it and loosened it up and readjusted it a few times the other night. Didn't seem to make any difference.
How does the petcock get stuck in the closed position? Like an airlock, is that what you mean? That sort of seems more likely the issue. It did happen after removing and remounting the tank and hoses.

Tom Waits
Old 11-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #35
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
got two elite 150 parts bikes ... so PM if you need anything
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Other than it not starting recently all the parts seem to be working fine. Only thing I've needed to buy for it so far were fluids, air filter and exhaust gasket. I ordered a CDI unit on ebay today also, found a new one there for $9.99 and figured I'd replace it just because I've read so much about them going bad. Lights all work, plastic and gauges are fine, everything is there.

Tom Waits
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #36
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 430
Do you have spark? The connection between the cable and the cap is notorious for failing after you pull it from the plug. Reseat the cable in the cap.

The petcock operates by vacuum. If you reversed the two lines it certainly won't work. Try pulling off what you think is the fuel line from the petcock, then put a cup under the spout, then crank it over. Gas should flow. No flow, no go.

If there's no flow, then pull off the other end (near the carb) of the vacuum line, and smell it. If it smells like gas, you may have them reversed. If it does not smell, and you feel brave (or stupid), suck on it lightly and see if gas flows from the petcock. If there's still no flow, pull the line you thought was for vacuum off the petcock, push it on the other nipple, and try again.

Good luck.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #37
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
And I don't mean to sound like a pain in the ass here, but you did ensure the engine was at TDC before adjusting the valves, and you slid the adjusters out all the way (without force), then gently move them inward by two gradients, right?
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #38
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I marked the lines to the petcock before removing them so they are on correctly. Didn't mess with it this weekend since we had decent weather and I headed off for a nice 2 day ride. When I did the valves I did have TDC set. I'll get back out there tonight or tomorrow and see what's going on. Thanks for the input guys.

Tom Waits
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #39
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Do you have spark? The connection between the cable and the cap is notorious for failing after you pull it from the plug. Reseat the cable in the cap.

I do have spark so I'm guessing the cable is ok.

The petcock operates by vacuum. If you reversed the two lines it certainly won't work. Try pulling off what you think is the fuel line from the petcock, then put a cup under the spout, then crank it over. Gas should flow. No flow, no go.

The hoses are on correctly, checked per the manual and your instructions and gas is flowing well.

If there's no flow, then pull off the other end (near the carb) of the vacuum line, and smell it. If it smells like gas, you may have them reversed. If it does not smell, and you feel brave (or stupid), suck on it lightly and see if gas flows from the petcock. If there's still no flow, pull the line you thought was for vacuum off the petcock, push it on the other nipple, and try again.

Good luck.
I readjusted the valves again. The feel is vague. It was smoking when it last ran. Possible it could be internal? Could I have done more damage running it on the road? I have the manual and TDC was on when I adjusted at least this time, maybe not the other times. The thing won't even start with starter fluid, that's the kicker. It's impossible to get to the carb on this without pulling the engine, or at least it seems that way to me. I don't want to spend much getting this running but I don't have much in it either. Should I just pull the engine and take it apart as a learning experience?
I did order a new CDI and should be here in the next few days. Any chance that could be the issue?

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 05:28 PM
Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #40
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Someone at work just suggested the possibility of the intake valve being stuck, maybe adjusted too tight when I first adjusted the valves. I'm going to see if Auto Zone has a compression gauge in their loaner tools and will check both possibilities tonight.

Tom Waits
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #41
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well damn! After messing around for the last week or so trying to get this beast started again I finally had success. What a good feeling. Couldn't figure out what had gone wrong, all I'd done was remove the fuel tank and adjust the valves. Well apparently I tightened the intake valve too tight and it got stuck. Borrowed a compression gauge from Auto Zone to check that but the adapter wouldn't fit but while I was messing with that I loosened the adjustment on the intake valve. Put the plug back in and bam, ignition. Still can't check the compression. Took back the loaner gauge and bought one with 4 different fittings, none of them fit. Oh well, it'll work on the other bikes so I'll keep it.
Now I can get back to changing the coolant and put this back together. Hopefully my plate will come in the next few days.
Ain't this fun?

Tom Waits
Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #42
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
What was your experience/procedure in getting a Vermont title?
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #43
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
What was your experience/procedure in getting a Vermont title?
Still waiting on it. My form was returned last week. I'd left off 3 digits on the VIN and was short on the taxes. Seems the minimum amount you can pay tax on is $500 and I'd only sent enough for the $100 purchase price. Other than that it should go through soon. They responded quickly with my mistakes.

Question to any Elite owner following along. I found this hose laying loose on the drive side of the scooter. Anyone have any idea what this is supposed to connect to? Can't find anything like it in the manual but the photos are crap there. It's about 18-20" long.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 05:40 PM
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #44
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 430
Carb float bowl drain? It has a clamp on one end but not the other.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #45
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Carb float bowl drain? It has a clamp on one end but not the other.
There isn't a hose on the carb bowl right now, that makes sense. So it doesn't connect anywhere on the other end just secure it so it can drain off in it needs too?

Tom Waits