Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
rokinrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I agree! I've put some miles on the FLHT but I miss the Dyna feel. Very good for the soul!!!
rokinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,580
i'm going to test run another switchback next weekend.
I shouldn't, but I might walk away with it.
If it agrees with me of course.

Is there any hope of getting the dealer to throw in labor if I roll a stage 1 into the purchase price?
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Old 10-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I was wanting H-D to build a touring model on the Dyna platform for a long, long time.
When the Switchback came out I was excited - FINALLY!.
Then I read the magazines about how a design goal was the short short suspension.
Clearly the Switchback is amied at women. Daddy's on an Electraglide, Mom has a Switchback.
I'll pass.
I had picked up a 2002 Dyna in 2010 after I totalled my EG. It is the FXDX Superglide Sport, with longer
travel, adjustable suspension. I put FXDP (cop) footbards and am now trying a cop bike solo saddle.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

meh, are you really put off by the marketing?
It's a great size.
For me anyhow, at 5'8" 150lbs.

The first thing I've done to nearly all 12 of my bikes
is change out the shocks.
Anyhow, I thought the ride was swell.
Much better off from the factory than my sportster.

Nice looking bike shupe.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by shupe View Post
I was wanting H-D to build a touring model on the Dyna platform for a long, long time.
When the Switchback came out I was excited - FINALLY!.
Then I read the magazines about how a design goal was the short short suspension.
Clearly the Switchback is amied at women.
I'm not exactly sure how you've made such a leap. As unfortunate as it is, a number of Harley's current models have the silly short suspension travel, and that wasn't done in the hopes of drawing in a bunch of women. It was done because it's a fad that people think looks cool.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #22
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
I'm not exactly sure how you've made such a leap. As unfortunate as it is, a number of Harley's current models have the silly short suspension travel, and that wasn't done in the hopes of drawing in a bunch of women. It was done because it's a fad that people think looks cool.
It's not just the suspension, its the scaled down, cute saddlebags, too.
I know Progressive could deal with the shock situation, but then you have to do the forks as well.
I will say guys I know that have ridden the SB have said nothing but good.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
I had an 07 wideglide and spent alot of money to make it into something like the switchback. Definately think they have a winner here for those who like to cruise and tour.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #24
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
The '01 FXDXT that I used to own.

If I was to get another Dyna, it would be another one of these. Decent handling for a big twin and an all around fun bike to ride. Didn't really care much for the stock bags though. I replaced them with a set of leather bags with ghost brackets that were easeir to use and looked much better on the bike. I like the EG and Sportster combo I have now better though. The EG is a more comfortable tourer and the XL1200R is more fun for around town and short trips.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
When I first heard of the Switchback I thought it would be a nice bike at a good price. It wasn't long that many owners were complaining about the vibrations. HD is aware of it and supposedly working on a fix. Closely comparing the Switchback to a Road King, both equipped the same, the Switchback isn't much less money. I believe you can get a Road King for just $1,500 more. The RK rides better and has a lot more lean angle than the Switchback too.

Anyway since this is a Dyna thread I'll post a pic of my 2004 FXDXI. The quick detachable bags are Boss Bags. I bought Harley's detachable windshield but it created too much buffeting so it's never been back on.

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #26
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
I was going to suggest scouring the ads for a low mileage FXDXT. I have a 2000 FXDX. I bought it because of the very generous ground clearance, suspension travel and fully adjustable suspension and, by cuiser standards, somewhat sporty geometry and mid controls. Being blacked out is icing on the cake because polishing chome is a waste of my percious time. Truly a shame the model went away. It wasn't until the XR1200 came out that there was a better handler in the lineup again and even it went away. Typical HD customers just didn't understand a HD that could handle this well. The ergos are sensible and there's no better bang for the buck when it comes to customizing an HD. Very satisfying. Been on some very long trips and never worried about reliability.

Mine's a high compression 1550, 585G cams, headwork and sodium filled valves by Headquarters, reed valve, roller rockers, Hooker 2-1, 3D mappable ignition, hypercharger, CV44 carb, gold valves in the forks and Ohlins rear shocks. Sticks like glue in the turns, lays down 105 HP and 110 torque at the rear wheel and sounds like pure performance instead of the obnoxious open pipe crap. Added a wide glide bobtail fender and bags for touring but no windshield. Just don't like 'em.

Absolutely nothing in the current lineup that would make me want an HD today. Besides the 88 and 95 inch HDs had 4 inch strokes with a sweet spot at 3500 rpms whereas the new 96 inch and 103s with the 4 3/8 ae simply gutless at any rpm and shake too much. The 4 inch stroke bikes are much smoother and can rev out to 6800 rpm reliably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post

If I was to get another Dyna, it would be another one of these. Decent handling for a big twin and an all around fun bike to ride. Didn't really care much for the stock bags though. I replaced them with a set of leather bags with ghost brackets that were easeir to use and looked much better on the bike. I like the EG and Sportster combo I have now better though. The EG is a more comfortable tourer and the XL1200R is more fun for around town and short trips.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #27
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
When I first heard of the Switchback I thought it would be a nice bike at a good price. It wasn't long that many owners were complaining about the vibrations. HD is aware of it and supposedly working on a fix. Closely comparing the Switchback to a Road King, both equipped the same, the Switchback isn't much less money. I believe you can get a Road King for just $1,500 more. The RK rides better and has a lot more lean angle than the Switchback too.
I have been obsessively reading about the vibration issue for the past few days.
There is a TSB out. It involves all 1990+ Dynas,
with some SB specifics
https://www.box.com/s/15d6d8edf75569ee6c4f

I'm not going to let it deter me.
Some bikes have it, some don't.
Some that did, now don't.
Really there's just something that needs to be tracked down.
2 major sources are the front motor mount, and the exhaust bracket.

The RK also weighs 100 pounds more, and you can feel it.
The FLD weighs about 100 more than my sporty and I couldn't tell.
The RK felt heavy immediately, and it's too wide.
Same motor. I'll take the lighter one please.

I ain't a big guy.
I went into the dealer specifically looking at RKs,
and was taken by the SB. Just fit me better.

Bloodweiser screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 06:05 AM
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #28
Lafitte
on the lake

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post

I still have mine.......
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Last weekend's test ride didn't happen,
Sportie's battery was shot.

Today was nice.
Great even.
Bought it.

First brand new bike
Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Last weekend's test ride didn't happen,
Sportie's battery was shot.

Today was nice.
Great even.
Bought it.

First brand new bike
Congrats. Nice bike. More info on what you like, don't like!

Looks like you still have nice weather there. Here in Indian Country, there's ice on everything this afternoon.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote