Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #61
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
[IMG][/IMG] I rode my '09 Street Bob to Key West from Columbia during Bikeweek.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #62
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,576
Day 1 - 159 miles.

Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #63
faded_Glory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Congratulations on finally riding your beautiful new bike! I hope you will enjoy it for a long time and many miles.

I am also looking round for a cruiser type bike, I feel I'm slowly getting to the right age for it lol.

The Switchback is pretty high on my list, because it looks the part, isn't too big and heavy and it's a HD. A few weeks ago I went to the local HD dealer and they offered me a test ride on their brand new demo, a sparkling deep red shiny and chromey thing of beauty.

I took it for 20 miles over various types of roads at speeds between 30 and 70 mph, but I'm sorry to say that it was a huge disappointment. The feel of riding a Harley is unique, the seating position, steering, suspension all are fine for me, braking is a bit weak but bearable - but the thing was vibrating like an Ann Summers Special. It was shaking so much that I seriously thought it was going to fall apart. I couldn't find a sweet spot anywhere between idle and 3000 rpm where it wasn't rattling my balls off. I can't see myself ride this thing for longer than half an hour at the time.

Bloody great shame, because if it wasn't for this I would probably have bought it.

The salesman said 'yeah they sometimes do that' and then offered me a ride on a Softail Heritage Classic, and although of course a step up in size and weight, the ride was much smoother and highly enjoyable. I am not all that much into the studded look and the handlebars were a bit high so it wasn't quite the right bike for me, but it made me think. I'm now contemplating a Softail Deluxe to equip it with bags and windshield of my liking. Am still trying to convince myself that I can handle the size and weight though, and I need to understand how good it would be at touring long distance.

Anyway, enough rambling - I hope your Switchback is less vibey than the one I rode and that you'll have a great time with it!

fG
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #64
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

The first switch i test rode was shitty.
Really bad vibes from that thing.
Liked the bike so much tho,
I tested another.
Mucho better.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #65
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
Yeah I've never understood the Dyna inconsistency from bike to bike. Have never been able to fix it either.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #66
twowheeledfish
of the Diet of Salmon

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
I've got a an '11 Fat Bob, owned Sporties, a Soft Tail and a Buell. Wifey rides a Fat Boy. I scrape her floor boards every time I drop into a corner. Haven't scraped the FB's fwd controls yet, but came close a few times. Refernce the Power Comamnder: Had one installed when I put the header back V & H Short Shots installed. Phucker blew my altinator about two hundred miles from home. Luckily another dealership hooked me up with the SE Race Tuner. Problem was this; PC isn't a Motor Company backed item. I had to come out of pocket for the SE race tuner and deal with my local dealership for the reimbursement on the Power Commander. They had to ship it off to Calf. to have the company check it out before they gave me my money back. Sucked, but they were good to me in the end. In short, I'd go with the SE right out the door, could save you trouble later on. Only other thing I notice about the FB is vibration at stop lights when I'm braking with the front break, it'll rattle the teeth out of my head.

Have you got the Switch Back out of storage yet?

The Fat Bob's pegs will eventually touch down, but your boot heels will provide warning first! The screaming eagle pipes will scrape too.... lol. Ask how I know.
twowheeledfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #67
Ironhead
But Itsa Dry Heat

Oddometer: 769
A buddy and I both have 07 Dynas. His was smooth as silk and mine shook like a dog shitting peach pits, but I got a real good deal used because of it. It took me a couple of hours to fix it, now it is fairly smooth.
I'm a major tinkerer and usually take shit apart first chance I get, so it didn't bother me like it does a lot of people
Dynas do have some quirks that put alot of people off but really like mine and ride it every day.

It's also the only bike I have had that my wife will get on, so that in itself is worth a hell of alot.

P.S. beautiful Switch Back

" Lord grant me patience, because if you grant me strength, I'll need bail money and a lawyer to go along with it"
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #68
Dirigo
Curious

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeledfish View Post
The Fat Bob's pegs will eventually touch down, but your boot heels will provide warning first! The screaming eagle pipes will scrape too.... lol. Ask how I know.
Hey Fish!
Yep, I've had my heels kicked left and right in the appropriate corners, but if I'm scrapeing the V&H short shots than I'm on the ground! My Softtail, I had V&H long shots, seemed like every time I dropped into a right hander the pipes ground, scared the crap out of me. Love the Dyna when I compare the two.
Dirigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #69
faded_Glory
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
The first switch i test rode was shitty.
Really bad vibes from that thing.
Liked the bike so much tho,
I tested another.
Mucho better.
Mmmm, I think I might go and test ride a couple more of them...
Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #70
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Anymore, the vibes can be fixed.
There's service bulletins a dealer can perform;
regarding torquing bolts and shaving isolators.
Albeit most owners have fixed the problem
with a clevis pin in about 3 minutes.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #71
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Cool2 if you search "dyna vibration" on hd forums

there are numerous threads on how to fix them in less than an afternoon.
here is mine-

I have just shy of 30k on it now (23k with no rear suspension and the apes).

just got it running again last weekend (ex-roomate took it out joyriding and messed the trans up) have done just short of 500miles since then. Yeah, it may be the antithesis of an adventure bike (or a sane one) but it's my bitch and I love her.
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #72
faded_Glory
Adventurer

How would the Switchback be for touring, say a week to ten days, 250 - 300 miles a day or so, solo camping? No offroad, few motorways, mainly secondary roads, hilly country (read: France, Spain, Italy). Riding position, seat, overall luggage capacity etc. Or would a Softail be better for trips like that?
Such trips are a breeze on the Wee but I think it might be time for a change :)

faded_Glory screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 05:18 AM
faded_Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #73
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

That's why I bought the switch.

Did a week of 500mile days last year on a '04 sportie,
camped every night.
Decided I needed something more touring oriented,
more for my comfort than for capacity.

The bags are smaller than touring models.
Not a problem for me, as I pack light.
I fit everything I needed for that trip,
in a duffel and a tank bag.

The riding position, so far, is very comfortable
for my 5'9" frame.

Stock, I could take this bike across the county with no complaints.

I don't know much about softails,
but I know you would loose some cornering clearance
compared to the switch.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #74
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
bloodweiser: I might have about 5 lbs on you, but otherwise I'm the same height and inseam. my experience has been about yours, went into a couple of dealerships specifically to look at RK's, sat on a couple of them and thought "hm, this is designed for a larger creature". It's not even the weight so much as it's the wideness of the things. then sat on the switchback and, ta-da it fits as-is.

I'd like a more touring-capable machine than my sportster, but the XR is so much fun to ride for shorter runs that I'm not sure if I can bring myself to trade it in on a BT.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #75
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,346
Well, I might be springing for a Dyna. Got pretty turned on by a Street Glide during a recent rental. BUT I'm thinking a Super Glide Custom, detachable shield and a nice pair of bags? Looked at the Switch. Didn't do it for me. Dont need a "real" bagger. Just too much bike for me on a day to day basis. I used to have an '02 FXD, which I wish I still had, but methinks the new ones are pretty nice.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote