ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
ob1quixote OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
2015 Armenia Dual Sport, Chester SC, May 17th

Flyer is up at www.carolinadualsporters.com !
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
dmark84
Daniel

Oddometer: 5
Registration is in the mail. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
ummpwr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Cant wait for it!
ummpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,612
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
SJ413
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Sweet! Is this my first post? I can't be sure, looooong time lurker. I"m looking into jumping into this, only about and hour drive from the house. Do I need any kinda of equipment for this, or just register and show up with my bike and gear?
SJ413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
BUGRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
one day ride?
BUGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
ob1quixote OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, one day ride.

If you want to make the weekend, TNT Motorsports is fairly close by, they have tracks and trails. A little further away is Enoree OHV trails.

Primitive camping is free at Armenia, we'll be watching SX or cycle movies on the projector big screen that night, so finish your Saturday ride and come on by!
Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ413 View Post
Sweet! Is this my first post? I can't be sure, looooong time lurker. I"m looking into jumping into this, only about and hour drive from the house. Do I need any kinda of equipment for this, or just register and show up with my bike and gear?
Yep you've got exactly 1 post! lol

I would recommend a roll chart holder.
You can follow along with people, but it's always nice to be self sufficient.

I prefer the DIY Pelican one(search and ye shall find,) or order a Moose.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
ob1quixote OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, for starters, you'll needs s street legal bike. Knobbies are the tires needed. A roll chart holder and safety gear. I will have roll chart holders for sale there, if you cant find one. You need it to navigate the course, along with your odometer.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #10
SJ413
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1quixote View Post
Well, for starters, you'll needs s street legal bike. Knobbies are the tires needed. A roll chart holder and safety gear. I will have roll chart holders for sale there, if you cant find one. You need it to navigate the course, along with your odometer.
Done and done. KLX is legal, picked up an f/m21 and r/D606 a few weeks ago. I can oder a roll chart tomorrow when I go to pick up jets for the bike. Now, the odo on the bike does not roll forward, only resets, is that going to be an issue?
95' Sidekick
Old 03-06-2015, 02:57 AM   #11
ob1quixote OP
Studly Adventurer

Not a huge problem, but you do have to recognize that there is a certain amount of error in motorcycle odometers, enough that you will notice.

At most dual sport rides, the route sheet will instruct you to reset your odometer to 0 at certain points. This keeps the error to a minimum.

If you find your odometer is not in agreement with the route sheet, you will need to adjust. If a given turn at say, 10.3 miles, ends up being at 10.1 miles according to your odometer, best start looking a bit earlier for the rest of the day {and even more early on longer runs}

And since every ride is measured by a different bike, the rest ride you attend maybe be opposite, and you adjust accordingly.

KLX eh? Wouldnt a DRZ speedo/odo work on it? My DRZ speedo/odo is adjustable and resettable. I often make minor corrections on the fly.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:21 AM   #12
SJ413
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1quixote View Post
Not a huge problem, but you do have to recognize that there is a certain amount of error in motorcycle odometers, enough that you will notice.

At most dual sport rides, the route sheet will instruct you to reset your odometer to 0 at certain points. This keeps the error to a minimum.

If you find your odometer is not in agreement with the route sheet, you will need to adjust. If a given turn at say, 10.3 miles, ends up being at 10.1 miles according to your odometer, best start looking a bit earlier for the rest of the day {and even more early on longer runs}

And since every ride is measured by a different bike, the rest ride you attend maybe be opposite, and you adjust accordingly.

KLX eh? Wouldnt a DRZ speedo/odo work on it? My DRZ speedo/odo is adjustable and resettable. I often make minor corrections on the fly.
I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to adapt a drz setup to it, but last drz I helped do any work on had a trail tech setup. I doubt the oem speedo drive on the hub could be that different, but I can't be sure, I don't have one I can lay my eyes on anymore. I really liked the trial tech, and the vapor setup isn't too expensive, so I may go that route.
95' Sidekick

SJ413 screwed with this post 03-06-2015 at 05:09 AM
Old 03-06-2015, 04:59 AM   #13
ob1quixote OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, welcome to the sport!

Check out Armenia DS videos on youtube, and remember, lots of folks edit out the more technical stuff, since it aint speedy and cool.

If you take a regular section of trail that offers an easy-out and regret it, take the easy-outs! No shame in increasing the enjoyment of the day.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #14
bankska11
Where are we?

Oddometer: 98
Mailed in registration today. Looking forward to it. How does this ride/trail compare to Broxton Bridge?
bankska11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 AM   #15
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Done and done. KLX is legal, picked up an f/m21 and r/D606 a few weeks ago. I can oder a roll chart tomorrow when I go to pick up jets for the bike. Now, the odo on the bike does not roll forward, only resets, is that going to be an issue?
This ride is so well planned with marked turns and such you can do with out the odo, but it helps. Just fellow a group of riders, that is what most end up doing anyway.

May I suggest... air down the m21 and d606 for this ride.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote