ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
jaked308 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Gatlinburg, TN Adventure Tracks?

My in-laws are renting a house for a week in Gatlinburg, TN the first week in April. My wife and I are planning on heading down from NY for at least a few days. We'd like to bring the dual sport bikes down to explore if there is ample riding in the area. I've found quite a few tracks in the Tellico Plains area, but haven't found much in the Gatlinburg area. Does anyone have any suggestions or tracks for good day trips? We'd prefer to keep on dirt/gravel roads as much as possible. Thanks in advance!
jaked308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:09 AM   #2
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 253
Given that Gatlinburg is right up against the national park, no... you're not really going to find much nearby. The only roads that come to mind are Parson's Branch and Rich Mtn Rd, but they're closed for the season until April 10th.

If you're willing to cross the mountains, there's a fair bit of stuff in the Cherokee and Nantahala Forests (Bryson City, Asheville, Newport, Cosby, Hot Springs...). You may still find seasonal closures there too.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
firedad415
trying to speak dirt

Oddometer: 180
1.5 hours away is Deals Gap. Take the back way through the Foothills Parkway. If you've never been there, it is worth the trip. Also, the roads around the Gap are even better! Wayah Rd is one of my favorites. There are tons of off road trails up that way, get with the locals. They can tell you where to go. I haven't been back there since I started riding dirt, so I am not the best one for unpaved directions.
1 John 1:3
firedad415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 2,000
Run the 20ish miles up to Cosby, TN, and take a right on TN 32. Don't lose your mind on that road. You'll need it for later. You will cross into NC, and the road turns to dirt.

At Mount Sterling, NC take a left, or go straight. At that point, you will be on National Geographic's French Broad/Nolichucky map. There is more super high quality gravel than you can shake a stick at. You should also be catching the area before the leaves come back so you can enjoy the views. There is everything from nicely groomed/maintained gravel to chunky, steep jeep tracks.

With a bit of homework, you can get back to Cosby via the Foothills Parkway. Dual sporting of the very highest quality.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
jaked308 OP
Adventurer

I really appreciate the suggestions. I see there is a national adventure tour (Slate Creek 500) in Bybee, TN, so I'm sure there is some epic riding in that area. If only I could get them to go a few weeks later so I could hit the Rad Dad national enduro and the Slate Creek 500 while I'm down there! I will start looking in the areas that you guys suggested. Do you guys have any garmin gps tracks? Since I'll have my wife and father in law riding with me, I'll be sticking to fairly easy gravel and jeep trails. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
jaked308 OP
Adventurer

Slight change of plans, instead of Gatlinberg, TN we are going to be staying a little down the road in Sevierville, TN. Not sure if that changes any of the riding opportunities.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
KYwoodsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
+1 on the Cosby/Hwy32 route
You can get there from Severville as well
Here is a link on my ride through there
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789227

KYwoodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
jaked308 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYwoodsrider View Post
+1 on the Cosby/Hwy32 route
You can get there from Severville as well
Here is a link on my ride through there
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789227

That looks like perfect riding! Thank you!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 768
There are several links (some with GPS) listed on the first post in the Tales from East TN thread. It should give you a little more to think about as you plan out your trip.
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Rave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
If you have time, check out my track I made. The middle half of it lays out a lot of what is described above including hwy 32 and some neat trails nearby. All of it is day trip or two. The file can be downloaded at the first post. Hope this helps.

**Update; a lot of the links in my thread were broken, so I've fixed them so you can actually see what I'm talking about.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030465

Asheville Trip Report

My third hare scramble

Rave screwed with this post 01-20-2015 at 08:06 PM
Rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
jaked308 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rave View Post
If you have time, check out my track I made. The middle half of it lays out a lot of what is described above including hwy 32 and some neat trails nearby. All of it is day trip or two. The file can be downloaded at the first post. Hope this helps.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030465
Thank you very much! I will look into your post.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
jaked308 OP
Adventurer

I have been looking into some of your suggestions and came out with this 100 mile loop starting and ending in Cosby, TN. Any of you that are familiar with the area please take a look and let me know your thoughts. I will be there the first week of April, and I want as much easy gravel/dirt roads as possible. My wife and father in law, who are both entry level adventure riders, will be riding with me so I don't want to get them in over their heads. We just want to take in some great riding and great scenery. Thanks!!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Cosby, TN Adv Loop.gpx (314.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 768
That's a very doable route that time of the year. Max patch may start getting busy then so keep your eyes open in that area. With food, stops, pictures, etc this easily an 8 hour+ day. It should only take a around 30 min (but some days it feels like forever) to get to 321 from Sevierville depending on time of day and where you are staying. Keep in mind the speed limits and sight lines.

You should have a blast!
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:53 AM   #14
jaked308 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for your input! It looks like where we are staying is much closer to Pigeon Forge than Sevierville. I'm debating if we will ride the bikes to Cosby or just trailer them over. Any suggestions on a place to leave my van in Cosby if I trailer them?

I need to come up with at least 1 more day trip loop for while we are down there. I'll probably start looking in the Tellico Plains area since that seems very popular for adventure riding, and there are many posts about it.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:15 AM   #15
tellicotom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Thumb Cataloochee

From Cosby, continue past Mt Sterling to the Cataloochee Valley in GSMNP. A very scenic area with restored nastalgic homesites and elk.You could then make your way to the Blue Ridge Pkway and head south toward Cherokee. Turn right to Balsam mtn campground and continue on the 2-track that will put you out on Rt 441 at Cherokee. Return by taking 441 over the Smokies. Be sue to include the side trip to Cling man's dome.

Take the bypass around Gatlinburgh unless you want to see it or get a bite to eat.

You'll want to get decently early start, a lot to see....
tellicotom is offline   Reply With Quote