ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #31
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl
 
SquirrelyGrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria Secret green pj's of Ponies & Puppies
Oddometer: 876
Hey Monte!
Sounds like you were working hard Saturday , I saw your post over in the DOG thread
__________________
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" SuckerPunch
SquirrelyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #32
DriftDragon
Wanderer
 
DriftDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Oddometer: 198
Okay. I want some ideas. What I want to do is come up with a truly awesome adventure day ride starting and ending in Chattanooga that I can ride this coming Saturday. The more off road and scenic the better but great twisties thrown in to link things is welcome to. I am thinking it should go out through Tellico but I am open to suggestions. It needs to be a good challenge for med to big adventure bikes while still fun for smaller bikes. I personally don't care if it ends up being a thousand miles round trip but lets keep it to something that can be done in 6 hours with a couple of breaks. Maybe 300 miles or so? So I pose two questions to everyone...

What routes would you include? Where are some good places to plan lunch and short breaks? Give me your absolute best area adventure segments to piece together into a great ride.

Do you wanna join me? Joining in and dropping out along the route is always an option to.

So there it is... what are your ideal adventure segments in the area? Presumably we can meet at a breakfast spot and end at a good watering hole.
__________________
DriftDragon
--------------
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS

DriftDragon screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 12:37 AM
DriftDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #33
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!
 
flux_capacitor's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Cumming GA
Oddometer: 9,597
What's this about camping this weekend?
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #34
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDragon View Post
Okay. I want some ideas. What I want to do is come up with a truly awesome adventure day ride starting and ending in Chattanooga that I can ride this coming Saturday. The more off road and scenic the better but great twisties thrown in to link things is welcome to. I am thinking it should go out through Tellico but I am open to suggestions. It needs to be a good challenge for med to big adventure bikes while still fun for smaller bikes. I personally don't care if it ends up being a thousand miles round trip but lets keep it to something that can be done in 6 hours with a couple of breaks. Maybe 300 miles or so? So I pose two questions to everyone...

What routes would you include? Where are some good places to plan lunch and short breaks? Give me your absolute best area adventure segments to piece together into a great ride.

Do you wanna join me? Joining in and dropping out along the route is always an option to.

So there it is... what are your ideal adventure segments in the area? Presumably we can meet at a breakfast spot and end at a good watering hole.
I can think of several great rides that meet your criteria. However, 300 miles in 6 hours won't have much "adventure" as it is an all pavement ride. You could do the Cohutta/Tumbling Creek loop (75+ miles of continuous dirt) in 6 hours if you don't stop much and eat lunch in the woods. I wear a Camelback and bring energy bars. Other DS rides take longer because the dirt roads/trails are farther away, but the flip side is you get to ride the twisties to get there. I would love to join you, but Saturday is booked.

edit: Wife just informed me she has to work this Sunday to make up for being off two days next week. Talk about a wrench in the plans. Looks like great riding weather for this weekend too.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad

fullmonte screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 06:54 AM
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #35
DriftDragon
Wanderer
 
DriftDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I can think of several great rides that meet your criteria. However, 300 miles in 6 hours won't have much "adventure" as it is an all pavement ride. You could do the Cohutta/Tumbling Creek loop (75+ miles of continuous dirt) in 6 hours if you don't stop much and eat lunch in the woods. I wear a Camelback and bring energy bars. Other DS rides take longer because the dirt roads/trails are farther away, but the flip side is you get to ride the twisties to get there. I would love to join you, but Saturday is booked. I'm riding Sunday if anybody wants to go.
Figure on being gone 8 hours or until 5pm.

Actually I was meaning 6 hours of riding plus the breaks etc... I was also assuming a fair amount of payment between dirt hence the 300 miles. That's 2 hours for 200 miles of road and 4 hours for a hundred miles of dirt right? lmao. So let me revise my criteria... Saturday OR Sunday OR both days and camping is an option.

I am not strong in the determining feasibility department.... I figure pretty much everything is feasible. lol.

I am wide open. I am looking for as much adventure as i can get during daylight without too much rushing. I don'tind riding pavement in the dark though if its worth it. Just trying to keep it to something others would be open to as well

So can you categorize the dirt course you described? I will be on my 1200gsa and the roads are still a little muddy so keeping that in mind I am looking for challenging dirt with lots to see along the way.

Houston valley was fun so certainly anything up to that level of challenge is okay but keep in mind houston valley was dry.

Thanks though, I will go see if I can figure out what you were referring yo on the maps.

Anything else?
__________________
DriftDragon
--------------
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #36
DriftDragon
Wanderer
 
DriftDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Oddometer: 198
ahhh... I see Monte, that actually was one of the areas I was thinking about. I have wondered around a little on the TN side but not much on the GA side. That is an intriguing area!
__________________
DriftDragon
--------------
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #37
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS
 
mb90535im's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NW GA
Oddometer: 4,756
You missed a good ride in the Cohuttas last Saturday. Actually went to a spot SloDon showed us north of hwy 64 that I had never seen. I like days like that.

Have you taken the GSA up Rock Creek/Tatum Lead trail in Murray Co. behind Peeples Lake?
__________________
"Dang man I'm impressed." - Willy-B
"Are you OK? ... Are you sure you're OK?" - Honcho
"Disturbing and funny, all at the same time." - MrTwisty
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #38
DriftDragon
Wanderer
 
DriftDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
You missed a good ride in the Cohuttas last Saturday. Actually went to a spot SloDon showed us north of hwy 64 that I had never seen. I like days like that.

Have you taken the GSA up Rock Creek/Tatum Lead trail in Murray Co. behind Peeples Lake?
The only offroad trail I actually have been on north 64 is the road up to buck bald. I am horrible with the names of places as my extreme adhd makes remembering names of things very difficult for me. I confuse similar sounding words alot so where on one occasion I may know exactly what county Murray is, The next time we talk I would use the name fully convinced we are discussing Marion county. LOL. It makes conversations with me interesting.

With that warning in mind... i don't believe I know where Murray county or rock creek or peebles lake is but will go look it up. thanks.

Where did you guys go exactly north of 64? What kind of roads?
__________________
DriftDragon
--------------
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #39
SloDon
Studly Adventurer
 
SloDon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 583
There are some fun dirt roads (some challenging for a GSA but doable) on either side of TN 30 north of 64.........a couple I showed Mitch last Saturday as he mentions below.

I will PM you.....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
SloDon
'12 R1200 GS Adv, '05 DRZ 400, '08 RE Bullet 500
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS
 
mb90535im's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NW GA
Oddometer: 4,756
You might find this link useful. (Chatsworth is the city name)

http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/facili...cilitytypeid=3
__________________
"Dang man I'm impressed." - Willy-B
"Are you OK? ... Are you sure you're OK?" - Honcho
"Disturbing and funny, all at the same time." - MrTwisty
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #41
SloDon
Studly Adventurer
 
SloDon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloDon View Post
There are some fun dirt roads (some challenging for a GSA but doable) on either side of TN 30 north of 64.........a couple I showed Mitch last Saturday as he mentions below.

I will PM you.....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thought I would add this.....









These are most of the roads I sent you....the rest are also documented on my channel.

No ADs........I am not looking for $ or views...just wanted to have a place other riders could look at and PRERIDE by video roads in our area.

I have roads from Alabama, Georgia, Tennesse, North Carolina, Utah and Colorado.

Maybe it will help you plan.....

Have a great ride!

Don
__________________
SloDon
'12 R1200 GS Adv, '05 DRZ 400, '08 RE Bullet 500
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #42
DriftDragon
Wanderer
 
DriftDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Oddometer: 198
Wow! Great response. I guess I can just stay at the bar and drink beer all day cause I already experienced the ride! lol... not a chance. Those roads remind me of the paint creek road near hot springs. I love the creek!

Thanks so much for sharing!

I understand there is great riding around Helen too. I have a friend out that way. I been meaning to go check out some of those well known ga waterfalls to. So much riding still to do!

I haven't heard anyone say they were up for riding Saturday yet though... is anyone considering joining me? I may go both days but I know I can go Saturday.
__________________
DriftDragon
--------------
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #43
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl
 
SquirrelyGrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria Secret green pj's of Ponies & Puppies
Oddometer: 876
I'm still waiting on the clutch for the dr I ordered a week ago

But, the Hawk is running like a Champ. I'll let you know for sure on Friday what's going on. I could use a camping trip, maybe Flux could as well
__________________
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" SuckerPunch
SquirrelyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #44
DriftDragon
Wanderer
 
DriftDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Oddometer: 198
Anybody decide to do anything?
__________________
DriftDragon
--------------
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #45
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos
 
ABHooligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chattanooga
Oddometer: 1,079
Tellico-Thanksgiving Weekend

Hey Folks,
If anybody's interested, I'm planning to camp and ride in Tellico the weekend following Thanksgiving, Nov 24-25. I may ride up Friday afternoon, camp and ride Sat and Sun, home on Sunday night or Monday morning. If anybody's interested we can meet in Chatty or Tellico Plains, or look for me somewhere along North River Road, past the Green Cove cutoff. Bring your own food; I'm not a Gentri.
__________________
"I tried to move my mind there and nowhere else and imagine a single detail that, if I didn't see it that weekend, I never would... The world is easily lost."
James Dickey
ABHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014