Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
skathe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
What parts should be created or improved? Need ideas for design project!

Hey guys,

So I am a DR650 and SV650 owner as well as a soon-to-be graduating mechanical engineer. Anyways, I am starting to brainstorm for my senior design project, and of course I wanna do something bike related! Decided to post in the garage cause I figure you guys are the most mechanically inclined.

So what is a part that you guys would like to see made for bikes? Could be a part or an accessory (such as stands, etc). All realistic ideas are welcome! Also, feel free to say bike-specific ideas of any kind or improvements on current parts.

Thankya!

P.S. If I choose an idea from this thread, I will give updates and could share CAD files after completion!
skathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Hmmm. Will brainstorm on this a bit. Interested to hear suggestions and see what you come up with.

I know DR guys really miss the BBQ rack. May be a little too simple for you, but a nice wide, cheap rack is nice for any bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549820
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
skathe OP
Adventurer

Simple ideas are fine because they can be made more complicated by making them adaptable to many bikes or by adding to them. Also, simple parts that may affect performance are also fine because I could actually make the part and do performance testing.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
Making the DR650's rear suspension behave more like that of an RMX would be nice....

There's a guy on here who adapted the RMX/RMZ swinger to a DR, but it took frame mods to do it. Maybe you could apply some engineering foo and come up with a bolt-on system that was close to the RMX's in function...

If you do, send me the NC files and I'll machine a set (to see how well it works!

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
skathe OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
Making the DR650's rear suspension behave more like that of an RMX would be nice....

There's a guy on here who adapted the RMX/RMZ swinger to a DR, but it took frame mods to do it. Maybe you could apply some engineering foo and come up with a bolt-on system that was close to the RMX's in function...

If you do, send me the NC files and I'll machine a set (to see how well it works!

Interesting, do you have any idea who did this or how I could find it? I looked without much luck.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 154
Idea for design project.

Here's one you could have fun with.

Many bikes don't come with a center stand, you have to buy one - if they are available.

The part that touches the ground could be generic, then design a "connector" to fit to the specific bike. Many times one stand could be made to fit a series of bikes that basically use the same frame.

Then.....extra-cost option.....add a power lifter.

Now, the lifter should only need to raise the bike onto its centerstand, with the rider(s) OFF!
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,108
An adjustable kickstand.

Guys with dirt and supermoto wheels need two kickstands....

Also, a loaded bike may need a shorter stand.

A telescopic shaft with a pin would be easy. But maybe a fellow could make something a bit fancier.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
skathe OP
Adventurer

It would definitely possible to just have a kick stand that you can push down to whatever length you needed. I'll think more on that as well as a center stand.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by skathe View Post
Interesting, do you have any idea who did this or how I could find it? I looked without much luck.

I found the original thread, the OP goes by Snowy... but it looks like he's deleted all of his posts, pictures and details of the build.

FWIW:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555689

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
I try to carry stuff that has more than one purpose, so I always thought it would be cool to develop a bash plate that doubles as a center stand. the choice of bike will dictate the geometry & I expect the idea would not work on some if the throw is too long, the biggest question is how lever the bike up on the stand. it's on my list of things to do some time... help yerself if you like.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
A lot of modern dual sports have somewhat road oriented gearing with a first gear that won't allow super slow creeping. One of the realy neat features of the old honda ct90's is their sub trany's that at the flick of a lever gives you super low gearing. How about a sub trany conversion, it would have to be specific to one bike.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
An adjustable height windshield with universal mounts to fit any bike and removes without tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,194
An adjustable kickstand that was spring loaded would be a nice project, something that you can operate with your foot so when you step on a tab the stand goes down, then extends and locks when you remove your foot from the tab. Then you can lift the tab with your toe and have the stand unlock, retract, and then go back up.

Or some dual purpose stuff, design people love that stuff. Something like a luggage rack that can be easily removed and turns into a camp chair or something.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by skathe View Post
Hey guys,

So I am a DR650 and SV650 owner as well as a soon-to-be graduating mechanical engineer. Anyways, I am starting to brainstorm for my senior design project, and of course I wanna do something bike related! Decided to post in the garage cause I figure you guys are the most mechanically inclined.

So what is a part that you guys would like to see made for bikes? Could be a part or an accessory (such as stands, etc). All realistic ideas are welcome! Also, feel free to say bike-specific ideas of any kind or improvements on current parts.

Thankya!

P.S. If I choose an idea from this thread, I will give updates and could share CAD files after completion!
You want something to show prospective employers. Nothing cheezy.

How about a bolt on aftermarket variable ratio chain drive. Replaces stock chain and sprockets to give field adjustable ratios. One option might be a simple 2 ratio setup with dual chains/sprockets and a clutch to switch between them. A more sophisticated approach would be a continously variable (or perhaps semi-continuous) drive with an expanding sprocket and a slack chain take up. The sprocket might be a plate with a series of toothed snail sections that rotate in concert to make a larger or smaller sprocket. Essentially cams around the circumference of a disk with teeth on the edges of the cams. You would have to go to a wider chain or even a belt to work with fewer teeth in engagement. or perhaps it's a planetary gear set that replaces the rear sprocket. Teeth around the outside of the planetary to take the power from the chain and then various planetary gears inside of that moving the power to the center and the hub. Or build the gearset into the hub like the old Sturmy-Archer bicycle rear hubs (2 and 5 speeds I believe). So you replace the rear wheel and add shift linkage to get the extra gears. A two speed might be fine---one speed is strait through so stock gearing, the other is a low range that drops the overall rear end ratio for tougher off road work.

You don't have to re-invent the wheel here, just apply technology considering all the constraints so you get something that works.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,575
Another possibility is a recovery system for getting bikes out of bad places, like down steep embankments, mired in muddy crossings, etc.

Need a LOT of force and an anti-slip back feature, like a ratcheted winch rather than a simple rope and sheaves.

Needs to be extremely light and compact. So some strength of materials issues.

Should include an anchoring system for instances where a good anchor is not available.

Should be integrated on the bike. So some parts are multi functional...a handle that is part of a rack for instance. or use part of a crash bar as the winch frame. Things that reduce how much you have to carry to have the thing.

Possibly uses the bike for power. Like a capstan on a rear wheel.

Should be able to be used in a wide range of circumstances by a solo rider.

Should be able to recover other bikes.

Should be durable and have a long life.

Should be extensible for as many applications as possible. Moving a fallen tree out of the way for example. Or use in the shop.

Should not cost an arm and a leg. No Titanium.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote