User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Tatanka OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
2 Up on a Supermoto

Iím not sure if this should be in Road Warriors or in Thumpers, so mods please feel free to move it if I have it in the wrong place.

I have a 2010 Duke for the last year and a half. Recently, Iíve been taking my oldest on little rides around the neighborhood or out for ice cream. This is becoming more of regular event as he gets older, and now his younger brother wants to be included, too. Itís not a problem since the younger one (5yo) is more than big enough to reach the pegs.

As you can imagine, the bike isnít ideally setup for 2 up. The seat is too short, which might be a good thing since it forces him to be right against me. Thereís limited rack and top case options, so I have him hold on tight. The idea of having a top case would make it less likely for him to slip off the back, which is one of my fears of what could go wrong. Another side benefit is that it would make it more convenient to stow his gear on the days I take him to school. (Itís just a short ride to the front of the neighborhood where he can then walk across the street to school.)

Has anyone ever had a custom seat that was made longer to accommodate a passenger? Iíll need KTMís rack for a top case or perhaps even a custom rack if I go with a custom seat. Then thereís the cost of luggage.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Duke isnít the right bike for taking out the boys despite being ideal for as a daily commuter / fun bike. I thought about trading, but my wife says to buy a second bike (go figure!). I prefer not to get a second bike due to the cost, lack of garage space, and the eventuality that one will be ridden way more than the other.

So after all my rambling, what would the experienced folks suggest? Spend money customizing a perfectly good supermoto to so something it wasnít originally intended to do? Or, trade a perfectly good supermoto for something else that would be more convenient for the occasional days when I ride with my boys? Or, listen to the wife, and spend money on a second bike that may not get ridden enough and would most definitely crowd an already crowded garage?
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 998
Sounds like you want a 990 SMT. The '12 I sat on with my gf on the back felt really good for two-up.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
page62
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Would this be better...?

http://www.corbin.com/ktm/ktm690d8.shtml
Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,529
Can you park outside?

I've seen some really nice, older K series BMWs with a sidecar for under 5k. Then you can take both boys.

Otherwise, I say listen to wife. You can get a decent bike built in last decade for a reasonable price. If you're only going a few blocks at a time and a passenger seat with a backrest/top box is your only requirement; you have a ton of bikes to choose from.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Tatanka OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by page62 View Post
I actually considered buying one of those when I got the Duke but decided to live with the stock seat. I don't think it'll do anything for the passenger, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Can you park outside?

I've seen some really nice, older K series BMWs with a sidecar for under 5k. Then you can take both boys.

Otherwise, I say listen to wife. You can get a decent bike built in last decade for a reasonable price. If you're only going a few blocks at a time and a passenger seat with a backrest/top box is your only requirement; you have a ton of bikes to choose from.
I haven't really considered a sidecar, but you gave me another idea. Having an older bike like an airhead to mess with might be an option. Hmmm... I need to some more reading....
Old 08-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
I do remember a post a while back that involved a rider commuting with there smaller child on a motorcycle. They had a harness setup that allowed the passenger to clip into the rider to keep kids from falling off. Might be worth looking into.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
I do remember a post a while back that involved a rider commuting with there smaller child on a motorcycle. They had a harness setup that allowed the passenger to clip into the rider to keep kids from falling off. Might be worth looking into.
David Hough in Proficient Motorcycling said that if the kid is not old or mature enough to hang on, the kid should not be riding. I agree with that opinion. Hough says that a sidecar is the best option for riding with smaller children.

A sidecar rig would also mean that you don't have to leave a kid behind.

Are your kids complaining about the lack of room? I'd say do what makes you comfortable; they are probably content with the current setup. When your boys get older and larger, they probably won't be as excited about riding behind dad, or you may have moved on to another bike by then, anyway.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
There's a guy that stays near me with a 990 duke he is 6 ft and takes his wife on the back fine.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Tatanka OP
Adventurer

My oldest (8yo) has no complaints and I haven't taken out the 5yo yet. Perhaps I will this weekend and have my wife take pics so I can see how crowded it is back there.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
One thing about the bench seat is that the passenger hanging on to you will slide forward when you do, which means that, when you go to slide back to your orignal position, you will feel like you are pushing the passenger off the seat. You might instruct your son to keep his butt near the back of the seat or to let you know with a signal or tap when you are pushing him too far back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
There's a guy that stays near me with a 990 duke he is 6 ft and takes his wife on the back fine.
In the US, the 990 supersport twin is called the Super Duke; the Duke here is the 690 single with street wheels and lower suspension than the 690 enduro or supermoto (SM, SMC, SMR).

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote