User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
DoubleCaesar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Exploring America & Canada on a Tiger 800xc

3,885 miles into an America & Canada trip, about time I started posting ride reports… First timer!

I don’t quite have everything together yet to do a proper report on the first leg (2,539 miles from Kelowna BC to San Diego) so I will start with leg 2, the ride around Arizona.

(Edit: Pacific Coast posts start at the bottom of page 4)
(Edit: The Southwest posts start at the bottom of page 7)

Back story: I work 2 weeks straight in the Canadian arctic at a diamond mine and then have 2 full weeks off. So my girlfriend and I decided to use these two-week periods to ride around the Continent on my Triumph Tiger 800xc. We made it from Kelowna BC down to San Diego in September (post to come) to beat the winter, and will be in the Southern states until springtime. At that point we plan to ride up the East coast all the way to Newfoundland, and then back across to BC in the summer.

The bike loaded up and ready to depart San Diego! We have camped about 1/3 of the nights so far.

Hailey and I!

DoubleCaesar screwed with this post 05-05-2015 at 01:16 PM Reason: Changed photo servers!
DoubleCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
retiredgentleman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Canadians travel on a Triumph

That's a great plan you have, so just keep posting.
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
clamcake
adventure clam

Oddometer: 1
Question 2 up

How was it been riding the tiger with a passenger?
clamcake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
gperkins
graeme

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamcake View Post
How was it been riding the tiger with a passenger?

Actually, that's a question I too would love to here your thoughts on. It's a bike I've considered for our pending RTW trip starting in 18 months time. I also agree, that's a great plan. Work and travel, that is.

Graeme.
gperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
DoubleCaesar OP
Adventurer

Day 1

Our trip started near the San Diego airport at Hailey’s sister’s apartment. First day we planned to cross through California, taking a more scenic route and avoiding interstates like the plague.

The first 15 miles or so we rode North up Highway 163 (puke), which we then exited off onto Pomerado road into the Scripps Poway Parkway. This put us onto Highway 67 which we road to Ramona. It was rolling hills and ranches, light traffic and some very dry patches of vegetation, quite a relaxing start to the trip really. At this point we turned off to Highway 78 and headed for Santa Ysabel. Where we met up with what looked like a car club taking their classics out for a Sunday drive. Got stuck in the middle of this group so it slowed us a bit but it was cool seeing these old shiny cars lined up as far as you could see ahead and behind. Got old after a few miles though so I was glad to head north up Highway 79 and leave them behind.

Mostly the same type of scenery from here on, we went through Warner Springs and then started getting hungry and looking out for a place to eat lunch. A few miles before Aquanga we spotted the County Line BBQ & Café and pulled in. It was a cool looking place in the middle of nowhere, with average food and very nice people running it (Yelp Review).

After lunch we turned off onto the 371 to meet up with Highway 74. This route was completely empty I don’t remember seeing a single other vehicle on the road for about 30 miles. Turning onto Highway 74 also put us into the Santa Rosa-San Jacinto Mountains National Monument (what a mouthful). The ride got real interesting here as we started climbing, getting some good elevation and some colder weather. This point was when I regretted not having anything under my riding pants. But the nice smooth curves and the view made it bearable.

Crossing over the hills

Coming down the other side! Before we stopped at the visitor’s center for some national monument stamps. It was also nice to stretch our legs and warm up at the lower elevation.

Palm Desert seemed like a pretty strange city to ride through after all the miles of dry dead parched hills. It looked a bit too high class for my blood! We just cruised right through admiring all the green lawns, with a stop for gas on the far side just past Indio. And then onto the I-10 (Ughhhh). It was short lived and then we reached the Cottonwood Springs Road Entrance to Joshua Tree National Park!

We were pretty excited to be riding into this well-known park, although it was a bit later than we had expected. The sun was just about skimming the mountains when we started on the 35 mile trip to the Jumbo Rock Campground (Yelp Review) where we planned to camp for the night. It was getting COLD very quick, but damn it was a beautiful sky, very purple and red right over the mountains.

We had the road to ourselves while traversing the park and we really soaked it all in, pulling up to our campsite just as the sun was setting. We set up quick and had some leftover pizza and granola bars for dinner. After the sun went down I layered up and set up my camera outside to take a crack at some star photos. Unfortunately I haven’t quite mastered this skill yet and they came out pretty terrible. Next time!

Final Mileage for the day: 211 mi.

DoubleCaesar screwed with this post 03-28-2015 at 05:36 PM
Old 12-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
DoubleCaesar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins View Post
Actually, that's a question I too would love to here your thoughts on. It's a bike I've considered for our pending RTW trip starting in 18 months time. I also agree, that's a great plan. Work and travel, that is.

Graeme.
It's been great for us so far! Once I had the suspension set properly it made a huge difference and its a real smooth ride.That being said, I'm relatively new at riding with a passenger and we haven't spent much time 2 up on anything unpaved.

The fact that we are doing this trip in sections makes how we are packed a little more forgiving, but I'm sure with a good strategy you would be able to pack up for two, long term, no problem.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,102

I'm in, all ears.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCaesar View Post
It's been great for us so far! Once I had the suspension set properly it made a huge difference and its a real smooth ride.That being said, I'm relatively new at riding with a passenger and we haven't spent much time 2 up on anything unpaved.

The fact that we are doing this trip in sections makes how we are packed a little more forgiving, but I'm sure with a good strategy you would be able to pack up for two, long term, no problem.
Sounds great! Subscribed, keep the pictures coming
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
DoubleCaesar OP
Adventurer

I'm still at n00b level zero so have to wait for my next post to get moderated!...
Old 12-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
DoubleCaesar OP
Adventurer

Day 2 - Joshua Tree to Kingman, AZ - Route 66!

We climbed out of the tent as the sun rose and had a delicious breakfast of granola bars and campstove coffee. During this gourmet meal, we enjoyed the sun coming over the rocks and warmed our bodies back up to a reasonable temperature.

Hailey wandered off and snapped a lucky shot of a coyote.

After breaking down camp and packing up the tiger again, we took a drive down to the end of the campsite to see all the nice spots we missed out on because we had arrived so late. The campsite we chose in the fading dusk light was decent, but next time I would choose a site that got some morning sun.

Skull Rock was about a mile down the road, so on our way out of the park we pulled over and wandered around among the boulders.

After the stop, we rode north towards Twentynine Palms and the Joshua Tree Oasis. We had to stop by the visitors center to get a stamp in Hailey’s national park passport book, of course. From there we started driving east and saw the sign saying 100 miles until next service - so we made a quick U-turn and filled up before starting across the desert.

This was the start of a fantastic cross desert trek - alone, speeding dead straight or in long lazy curves of clear asphalt, between mountains and past lonely desert shacks.

About halfway between Twentynine Palms and Parker, we pulled over at this pole decked out with signs pointing to towns, restaurants, bars and who knows what else.

While we were there a fellow adventure rider pulled up wondering which direction to the closest gas station. He was heading back north after taking his bike all the way from San Francisco down around the Baja peninsula and back up through inland Mexico! So Jealous.

The closest fuel was at the junction of highway 62 and 95, a few miles before Parker where we were headed, so we followed him in case we had to siphon a half gallon if he ran out. I would hate to run out of fuel somewhere like this!

Our buddy made it with just fumes, I’m sure, and we waved and continued on our way, pulling into Parker AZ (under this nifty bridge) and stopped at the fanciest restaurant in town, Big Bellie Subs.

From Parker we headed up to Lake Havasu City where we stopped for some supplies, batteries, a small lantern, earplugs and some dehydrated meals in case we camped again. We also made a wrong turn and unintentionally drove over the London Bridge, yeah THAT one.

Heading towards the I-40 from Lake Havasu City, we could see some retirement communities nestled in the small hills on the lake shore. I can see why people come down here for the winter.

Look a locomotive! (Hailey will try to deny it, but I have the power to make trains honk their horns as we pass them by)

We jumped on the I-40 West for a short while, and turned off towards Topock for the longest uninterrupted section of Route 66 in America!

I loved the route 66 signs painted on the highway. This road has some serious history and fantastic scenery, especially in the mountains before Oatman.

Wow, Oatman was cool! I wish we had ended up here for the night. This place really struck me as a wild wild west town that hasn’t changed much.

Saloons and wooden walkways lining the streets.

And here we have the mayor of the town... Yep just wild Burros (donkeys essentially) roaming the streets without a care in the world. They think they run the place.

After Oatman the rode got very windy and slow, but it was fun climbing the hills and really leaning into the curves.

The road was definitely not the smoothest, and had a fair number of gravel patches just to keep you on your toes. It was 30 miles from Oatman to Kingman, our destination for the night, and when we pulled into town we spotted this strange gas station.

Canada Mart? What!?

We checked into the El Travatore Motel, which claims to have the worlds largest route 66 mural… how oddly specific... It also boasts Hollywood theme rooms. We ended up in the John Wayne room, which consisted of 3 posters of John Wayne, and a whole bunch of drafty cracks in the doors and windows - it took forever to warm the room up!

We walked down the street to the Dambar & Steak House for dinner and a few beers, then called it a night.

I also spotted this amazingly vintage poster advertising the 1997 Calgary Stampede. So out of place.

Final Mileage for the day: 243 mi.

DoubleCaesar screwed with this post 03-29-2015 at 04:57 PM
Old 12-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
DoubleCaesar OP
Adventurer

While we wait for my second post to be moderated... here is a video Hailey made from our Pacific Coast trip!

Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,842
Approved.. carry on... 2 more posts and you're confirmed as a non spammer!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
DoubleCaesar OP
Adventurer

Thanks! I was really curious at what point I would get free reign.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 516
Awesome, I rode across the SF Bridge in July, it was awesome. You see it in movies all your life, but to be there in the moment was amazing. Thanks for sharing the ride report, the video was great.

2005 ST 1300--2006 250S--2006 XT 225
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 516
I used awesome twice in one sentence...that's...well awesome. LOL

2005 ST 1300--2006 250S--2006 XT 225
deej is offline   Reply With Quote