Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #1531
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Tango is fascinating! We had a couple lessons; you can learn it little by little and if you want it to stick with you, you'll have to practice. Of course, even if you don't practice later, it should be great fun being shown how! Don't forget to give back...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #1532
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
Bryce,
Do you have any construction experience?
Well, if you count building shelves in my garage and tent decks in Afghanistan as construction experience, then yes, I'm a master builder! Haha.

No, not really. I enjoy building things and working on all things mechanical, but it's usually just my little side projects. I've never worked in construction. I'm sure I could pick it up pretty fast though.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #1533
diegoteck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hey Bryce, It's been some time since i dont check on your RR and now you are in Baires, amazing!!!
I love the city!! I'm just going to list a couple of things you can do if you are just killing some time. I'm sure everybody is telling you a thousand things you shouldn't miss, but if you just do a couple of them you can get a pretty good feeling for what the city is all about.

The yellow city tour bus -
it's actually pretty cool. You pay the fee, and you have the pass for 24 hours, they take you literally everywhere, there are about 15 stops, if you see something,you like, you get out there and the buses come very 30 min, you jump on the next one and keep on going with the same pass.You can spend all day riding on the bus. Just try to get a headphone that works and there is audio in English explaining each part of the tour. Stops at La Boca, San Telmo and Galerias Pacifico are a must.

San Telmo -
Is one of the barrios of Baires, go there on Sunday morning, there is a pretty cool antiques market and performers on the street. People dancing tango and the usual hippies.

Plaza Dorrego-
You go there at night, any day of the week after 10pm, but is better if its thru-Saturday. Many bars, good beer, safe, and one of the best nights in Baires start there. I wouldn't miss it .

The Killkenny-
By far the best Irish bar in BA, the best time is the after office. About 7pm till wherever you can handle.

Restaurant el Federal -
It is a great place to taste all kind of food from Argentina. They have a degustation menu that is just amazing. A little steep and reservations are needed, but totally worth it.

Güerrin Pizeria-
If you ask me, the best pizza In Buenos Aires. You can go for lunch and have a slice in the bar standing up next to Porteños form the offices around. It is on Av Corrientes, two blocks from 9 de Julio going west. Great experience.

Ice cream at Freddo-
Dulce de leche granizado con mousse de Arandanos. My favorite, wow! I cloud have 1 kilo right now.

Cafe Tortoni - the history of the place is amazing, it would be great if you can go back for the tango show.

Here is a picture of me with my dad last year at Cafe Tortoni.

Shot me a question if you need anything. Good luck and enjoy.

diegoteck screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 06:37 AM
diegoteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #1534
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,641
Hi Bryce,

I look forward to your crate building pics.

Still enjoying your ride report. And yes the Hot Shots would be lucky to get you. Have them call me for references you fire fighting maniac.

Still enjoy checking your ride report. Keep up the good work amigo. Look forward to seeing you down the road.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #1535
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Dulce de leche - that was amazing in Uruguay!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #1536
diegoteck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Dulce de leche - that was amazing in Uruguay!
Dulce de leche ice cream is good, but "Dulce de leche granizado" has chocolate chunks in it. it takes it to a whole new level!!!
diegoteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #1537
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoteck View Post
Dulce de leche ice cream is good, but "Dulce de leche granizado" has chocolate chunks in it. it takes it to a whole new level!!!
I can imagine! I love chocolate. But the dulce de leche I'm talking about is just that, no ice cream. Looks like white fudge.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #1538
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,520
Why build a crate, find a motoshop, they get their bikes in crates, just buy one cheap
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #1539
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 639
Ongoing, tango-like financial experiments

Great RR . Been lurkin' for months.

But I have a question-

How have you been dealing with the official 5.1 pesos to the buck rate when its 8 or 8 1/2 in the markets? (that's 70% more and mo' iz betta' !!)

GDA (gracias de antemano)
Downhill Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #1540
hound master
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thumb

Ulyses,

Read your ride report all the way through a few weeks ago and have been following the updates ever since, really thorough and I've gained a lot of information to inform some aspects of my own trip that's kicking off in August. So, thank you. I've been doing some drawings of the bikes that make these incredible journeys for those people whose ride reports I've really enjoyed... just as way to say thanks. I'm planning on offering commission pieces for other inmates as way to raise some money for my own trip, but for now doing some of my own choosing to see if people are liking them. Below is yours, feel free to use however you'd like and thanks again for the great reporting man!

Greg Davis

Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #1541
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Wow!!! Awesome work houndmaster, I am sure Bryce will like this! Cool

Ride safe, Scott.

[/QUOTE]
96ssportsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #1542
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound master View Post
Ulyses,

Read your ride report all the way through a few weeks ago and have been following the updates ever since, really thorough and I've gained a lot of information to inform some aspects of my own trip that's kicking off in August. So, thank you. I've been doing some drawings of the bikes that make these incredible journeys for those people whose ride reports I've really enjoyed... just as way to say thanks. I'm planning on offering commission pieces for other inmates as way to raise some money for my own trip, but for now doing some of my own choosing to see if people are liking them. Below is yours, feel free to use however you'd like and thanks again for the great reporting man!

Greg Davis

HoundMaster,

You have an incredible gift! What an eye for detail, from the mustache to the MSR fuel can. (If you had sketched the port side, you could have shown the holy swing arm with bread board...)

Thanks for sharing. You will do well with this.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #1543
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound master View Post
Ulyses,

Greg Davis

Wow!!!!!!! That is freaking amazing!

I love the mustache. I hope Justin is looking at this. Thanks a ton man, I'm sending you a PM!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #1544
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Tango is fascinating! We had a couple lessons; you can learn it little by little and if you want it to stick with you, you'll have to practice. Of course, even if you don't practice later, it should be great fun being shown how! Don't forget to give back...
No learning it little by little, I'm going to drink from the fire hose! I actually took some tango classes back in the day....I'll have to see if I remember anything.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #1545
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill Dave View Post
Great RR . Been lurkin' for months.

But I have a question-

How have you been dealing with the official 5.1 pesos to the buck rate when its 8 or 8 1/2 in the markets? (that's 70% more and mo' iz betta' !!)

GDA (gracias de antemano)
Well, I got a bunch of greenbacks in Chile and then went to the nearest place where I could get the unofficial rate in Argentina (the black market, or blue market as the Argentinos say) and changed a few hundred at 8.25. In order to get the best rates, you need to have $100 bills. I changed a bunch of money in Bariloche over a month ago and because I only had $20 bills, they would only give me 6.5. When I return to BA in a couple of days, I'm going to use the unofficial rate to my advantage and hopefully pay about %30 less to ship my bike home.