Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #346
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
And here I thought I was talking about me

And who started this ACY business. I'm not sure that I like it. I read it as Aceeeeee which sounds girly. I need to grow my beard out even more now.
No, you're all wrong, it's me! I live vicariously through myself.....isn't that a Dos Equis commercial?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:32 AM   #347
flatmo
Americano

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I asked for a typical Colombian meal and this is what I got:

Some pork that looked like it had been cooked two days ago, some really bland and dry plantains, and a very tasty "arepa". Arepas are similar to Papusas; a big thick tortilla type bread stuffed with meat or cheese or both. I had one bite of the pork and was about to take another when I realized that they hadn't quite totally skinned the pig when they butchered it. There were still quite a few curly black hairs sticking out of the meat. I ate the arepa and got the hell out of there.

Interesting plate . I'm Colombian and have never seen anything like it. I'm not sure that "arepa" is an arepa. The color and texture don't look right for that area of the country. It might be a variation of a "bollo" and those are made with ripe plantain.

The white stuff is yuca. Hard to appreciate it if you did not grow up eating it.

The pork is also interesting... It looks like some kind of weird chicharron
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #348
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmo View Post
Interesting plate . I'm Colombian and have never seen anything like it. I'm not sure that "arepa" is an arepa. The color and texture don't look right for that area of the country. It might be a variation of a "bollo" and those are made with ripe plantain.

The white stuff is yuca. Hard to appreciate it if you did not grow up eating it.

The pork is also interesting... It looks like some kind of weird chicharron
Ahhhh....that explains it! It was yucca. I couldn't figure it out but thought it must be plantain.

And I did ask for Chicarones.....they were pretty crappy though.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #349
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
I'm going to try and start something new and begin each post with some stats and a little progress map of the day's ride. We'll see how long this lasts.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #350
Tgpatrsn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
This has been a great adventure to read. How has your Spot GPS been working? I have read a lot of good and bad things about them.
Tgpatrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #351
flatmo
Americano

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Ahhhh....that explains it! It was yucca. I couldn't figure it out but thought it must be plantain.

And I did ask for Chicharrones.....they were pretty crappy though.
Yeah, Colombia's "road food" is not like in Mexico. The food you will find next to the road is generally not very good at least there is a long line of truck in front.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #352
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Thats cool you ran into Byron and Isabel! Great People for sure. And Byrons got a Kick ass beard going! Isabelas beard is pretty much the same.... Safe Travels!!!!
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #353
DanielR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Last I heard they were installing fork seals and pneumatic shocks in his leg. As I was walking out the door, the doctor was saying something like: "....we have the technology, we can build him better." or something like that....

HAHAHAHAHA!!
DanielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #354
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Still enjoying the RR... liked those photos of the old fort. I like the new map update(s) as well. Wait a minute, I thought Marines liked boat rides?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #355
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorbdm View Post
Still enjoying the RR... liked those photos of the old fort. I like the new map update(s) as well. Wait a minute, I thought Marines liked boat rides?
You know, I did wonder about that myself. Aren't the Leathernecks our primary first line of defense, deployed from naval assets (OK, I know that times have changed)? A marine who gets violently seasick--we will have to write to the Commandant about this.

But we can say this: Our hero in this thread is quite the stud, and he is only 1/2 way to the destination. I have a feeling that he will end up looking like a curly-bearded version of a bald ZZTop by the time this is concluded.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #356
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Medellin

Just made it to Medellin and the Shamrock! Thanks for the recomendation Crashmaster, this place rocks! I'm going to upload some pictures and get cracking on today's post.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #357
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,493
I think that's the secret as to why Marines are so effective...

You coup them up in a boat for long enough, and they'll be so pissed when they finally go to shore that nobody there stands a chance!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #358
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
[/B]

I know, haha!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #359
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgpatrsn View Post
This has been a great adventure to read. How has your Spot GPS been working? I have read a lot of good and bad things about them.

Hmmmm......well, it has a little green light that blinks a lot, so I guess it works....

Really though, it works okay. The tracking feature works like a charm. The "I'm okay button" usually works, but you have to have a really clear view to the sky and anywhere from 2-10 minutes for that thing to get through.

It's defenetly worth it though. Something is better than nothing. It let's me check in with my family and keeps them from panicking when they don't here from me. And it's a great way to track your progress. Just get a spotwalla account.

Also, if I did it again, I would have brought the little wrist strap. I think it's defiently better to have it on your person than mounted on your bike. When Ed Zachtamundo got hit, I found him in the grass a good 50 feet from his bike (and his SPOT which was mounted on his handlebars). I don't think I would want to crawl that far back to my bike to hit the SOS with my femur sticking out of my leg....
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #360
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Just made it to Medellin and the Shamrock! Thanks for the recomendation Crashmaster, this place rocks!

Its a velcro kind of place. Hard to leave.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote