Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #376
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
Or find an IPA at all! Good luck with that. We fnally found an IPA from Beagle brewery here in Ushuaia, but to give you an idea of how good it is, everyone pronounces it Ipa (eepa) not IPA ... hahaha. Not very hoppy for an IPA, but better than most SA brews. If you get to Abancay, Peru, see if you can find an "Anpay" beer. It's not bad, but very local.
Don't laugh: True story. I bought a case of Bridgeport IPA (got to support Oregon, as long as they are not Ducks) a few months ago at the Kennewick Costco (Ulyses will get it). The nice lady at the cash register looked at the box as she scanned it and said: "Well I didn't know that we sold beer from India...." Got to love that town.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #377
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
The nice lady at the cash register looked at the box as she scanned it and said: "Well I didn't know that we sold beer from India...." Got to love that town.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #378
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
And then I saw that R1200GS pass me again and I was forced to go chase it down.

He may have been faster, but he wasn't willing to pass traffic on the right, in the dirt. You've got to be committed if you want to win!
This.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #379
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Don't laugh: True story. I bought a case of Bridgeport IPA (got to support Oregon, as long as they are not Ducks) a few months ago at the Kennewick Costco (Ulyses will get it). The nice lady at the cash register looked at the box as she scanned it and said: "Well I didn't know that we sold beer from India...." Got to love that town.
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Go Beavers!!! Go Bridgeport!!! Go Costco!!!
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #380
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hello From Medellin !!!

Hi Ulyses. I am from Medellin. I have been following you RR. If you need something give me a call 312 8415699. I can also help you planning your route south so you drive through the nicest places around. How long are you going to stay here?? I used to have an xr too, so I know pretty well where to get some things!!! not so many since Honda big bores arent the most common around though!!!

Greetings,

Nicolas
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #381
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1 View Post
Awesome report! They are persistent fckers aren't they!!,

Keep them coming.
Quote:
They defiently give a new meaning to the word persistant. It's horrible!
I have found if you tell them two or three times in Spanish that there is no money for them, they will leave you alone. For the money changers that keep thrusting their money toward you, simply reach for their money while thanking them for the gift, again, in Spanish.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #382
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
Hi Ulyses. I am from Medellin. I have been following you RR. If you need something give me a call 312 8415699. I can also help you planning your route south so you drive through the nicest places around. How long are you going to stay here?? I used to have an xr too, so I know pretty well where to get some things!!! not so many since Honda big bores arent the most common around though!!!

Greetings,

Nicolas
Hey man! Thanks for getting in touch. I'm looking for new tires, a pressure suit, and a ratchet strap. I also need to find a shop that will help me check my valves and adjust them as necessary, as well as letting me put on my new chain that I've been lugging around this entire time. Got any ideas?

I don't know how long I'm staying. I'm supposed to meet up with rexbuck in Calli for Christmas, so I've got a few days at least. I'm staying at the Shamrock. Send me a PM or something and maybe we could meet up for a beer something.

Bryce
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #383
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Get used to the smell of diesel, it doesn't really change until you get to Chile! Those big rigs are not very well regulated. :-)

I also recommend avoiding Cali .......
Yeah, I have to clean the road off my face everyday when I stop. There's so much black smoke coming out of the vehicles down here I feel like I'm in turn of the century london. Maybe I should just put my visor down.......naw.

Unfortunately, I think I am headed to Cali. I'm supposed to meet up with fellow inmate rexbuck at the Casa Blanca Hostel for christmas.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #384
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Or find an IPA at all! Good luck with that. We fnally found an IPA from Beagle brewery here in Ushuaia, but to give you an idea of how good it is, everyone pronounces it Ipa (eepa) not IPA ... hahaha. Not very hoppy for an IPA, but better than most SA brews. If you get to Abancay, Peru, see if you can find an "Anpay" beer. It's not bad, but very local.
I know....it's a hard life down here on the road. I was able to find a Brooklyn Brewery IPA in Guatemala, but that's been it so far. Apparently they usually have IPA's at the Shamrock here in Medellin, but they were all out last night when I arrived. I miss my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's as well...
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #385
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #386
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I have found if you tell them two or three times in Spanish that there is no money for them, they will leave you alone. For the money changers that keep thrusting their money toward you, simply reach for their money while thanking them for the gift, again, in Spanish.
Or, you can just punch them in the face. I've found that to work as well.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #387
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Well I'm glad they didn't stick you boys in those tin cans at sea. I appreciate you all showing the Taliban what can happen when you mess with a Marine.

I almost shed a tear for you and how hard it must be not having access to micro brews. As a fellow Oregonian and the place that makes the best micro's in the world, well except what those monks in Belguim make maybe, it must be difficult being so deprived of a good beer. Well at least you should be able to find some good whiskey at Shamrocks. Ask if they happen to have any McCarthy's. Made at Clear Creek Distillery in Portland. Damn good stuff. Sorry getting sidetracked.

Quote:
I agree with Brown Falcon on this one. Here's why they put Marines on boats: they get so sick and angry of being cooped up on a ship that they will literally charge onto the beach with only bayonets and willingly kill thousands of the enemy rather than being forced to stay onboard.

I never had the pleasure of being forced to go on a booze cruise with the navy (a MEU as it's called). And thank god I didn't! If I hadn't been sent to Afghanistan and got all of that combat pay, seperations pay, hardship pay, and the whole tax free thing, I wouldn't have made enough money to afford this damn trip! They almost sent our battalion on a MEU for my first deployment, but then they wised up. Why would you take a battalion from a desert hell hole like 29 Palms and send them to Singapore to get drunk on shore leave when you could put them in a different desert hell hole (Helmand), therby making them so furious that they will literally kill Taliban with their bare hands? True story. One of our Marines ripped a machine gun out of the hands of a Talib and used it to cave his skull in. Buttstroked his grape until it exploded like a melon. They gave him the Navy Cross for it.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #388
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
How is the XR doing so far? I trully miss mine.
Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #389
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
How is the XR doing so far? I trully miss mine.
Dudley
So far it's doing stellar! I'm about to go check my valves, get new tires, and put on my new chain. No issues with the bike so far; the only things that have broken were all aftermarket things that I was able to fix really easily and wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #390
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Bryce, wanna help this fellow jarhead. I am too old ,he would not believe it any way My nephew is there also , who knows you may be helping both of them. Here is his question:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850218

Gale
Semper Fi
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote