Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #391
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
No issues with the bike so far; the only things that have broken were all aftermarket things that I was able to fix really easily and wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't.
That hit me like a ton of bricks. I guess that I have never considered this before. There are a lot of things that we swap out on the XRL (gas tank is the first, but also the headlights/taillights, air fins, and so on). But now that I think about it, the only parts that end up breaking on this machine are farkles.

Sorry guys for the late epiphany, but this bike is actually quite robust. It is the farkle-junk that causes problems. (Note: My Clarke gas tank is an exception--it is well built.)

Thanks for pointing this out, I would not have realized it otherwise.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #392
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
Bryce, wanna help this fellow jarhead. I am too old ,he would not believe it any way My nephew is there also , who knows you may be helping both of them. Here is his question:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850218

Gale
Semper Fi
Yeah man, I'll hit him up. Allthough, I've never owned any of the bikes he's looking at....
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #393
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
That hit me like a ton of bricks. I guess that I have never considered this before. There are a lot of things that we swap out on the XRL (gas tank is the first, but also the headlights/taillights, air fins, and so on). But now that I think about it, the only parts that end up breaking on this machine are farkles.

Sorry guys for the late epiphany, but this bike is actually quite robust. It is the farkle-junk that causes problems. (Note: My Clarke gas tank is an exception--it is well built.)

Thanks for pointing this out, I would not have realized it otherwise.
It's so true, isn't it?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #394
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
This.

Dude, I'm honored.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #395
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanance in Medellin

Day 67
Medellin, Colombia
Day's ride: 0 miles

Medellin is awesome. I could live here. I don't even like cities, but this place is pretty damn cool.

I woke up early and got a little chow at a nearby resteraunt. I asked for coffee and got this:

.....a shot of esspresso. Damn. When I was in Spain it was the same way. Ask for "cafe" and you would get a shot of esspresso. Ask for "cafe con leche" (coffee with milk) and you would get coffee with milk. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to understand that some people just drink normal coffee without milk. It blew their minds. I eventually had to start asking for "cafe con leche, sin leche" (coffee with milk, without milk). They thought I was so strange. Silly Americans. It blew the minds of the Italians too. That's why the Americano was invented by GI's in Italy back in WWII. Look it up.

In any event, breakfast was good. I ordered chorizo and a "bollo" and this is what they gave me:

It was really really good! That sauce was amazing too!

After chow I went to hunt down the Bike Shop that Albert (the owner of the Shamrock) told me about.

I walked in and almost fainted. There, in the back of the store, I finally found what I've been looking for the entire trip:

That's right, an XR650L!!!!!!!!!!! Hell yeah, it's about time!!!

I knew right away that this was the store for me. Right after I found the XRL, I found the pressure suit I've been looking for:

It's more of a jumped up roost deflector with elbow and forearm armor than it is an actual pressure suit. I'm so tired of sweating my brains out everyday wearing that jacket in 90 degree weather. I was super stoked at this point.

Then I met Frederico, the owner. He speaks great english and was really helpful. He even had a set of Perrelli Scorpions in the shop for $130. What a deal!

I went back to the Shamrock, got my bike, and took it to the shop. First task: check the valves.

I've never done this before, but everyone assured me that it would be really easy. Frederico's chief mechanic walked me through it step by step. Of course, this was all in Spanish, so I'm not sure that I totally understand the process. I've got the basics down though and it does seem pretty easy. I had the mechanic check it after I finished to make sure that it was good.

Next step: new tires and chain.

They use an inovative bike lift in this shop: they suspend the bike from the roof with cambuckle straps. It's a pretty good idea actually. Whenever I get another garage of my own (most likely many years from now) I think I'll use this idea.

Before I left Oregon, I put on a set of Avon Distanzia's, oddmeter reading 3,187. I just hit 9,915, so that's 6,728 miles. Plus I'm carrying a lot of weight and riding pretty hard. These tires are pretty tough. They've held up really well; in fact, they aren't quite dead yet. They are down to the wear bar, but I think I could squeeze another 1,000 miles or so out of them safely.

I decided to pay the shop to do the grunt work on the tire change and the chain. While I was watching, I found a new fairing/head light set up:

It's too bad that the owner of the Adventure 950 that it came from wouldn't trade me.

After they got the tires off, we ran them over to the tire shop. In the Rzr! Quads and side by sides are street legal down here, so we tore around Medellin for a few minutes in the shop's "pit razor".

When we got back to the shop, I noticed that they were working on a snowmobile:

That's probably the last thing I expected to see this close to the equator. Apparently they have an artificial snow field around here somewhere.

After waiting a little bit for the tires, we got everything slapped back together and I had Frederico sign my bike:

Mission complete! Tomorrow I'm probably going to go back and have them give it a good wash. It could use it after all of the abuse I've put it through.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #396
purpledrake
No Pretensions

In any event, breakfast was good. I ordered chorizo and a "bollo" and this is what they gave me:

Columbian food question:

The sausage looks really good. But what is the lime for? Is that yoghurt?? Lime + banana?? I am confused.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #397
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Columbian food question:

The sausage looks really good. But what is the lime for? Is that yoghurt?? Lime + banana?? I am confused.
I don't ask questions. I just randomly pick something on the menu and hope it's good.

It's actually not a banana. I think it was made out of corn flour. It was kind of bread like; almost like a tamale. They called it a bollo. I have no idea if that is what it was. The white sauce stuff tasted like sour cream with lime in it. The lime is for squeezing on your food. At least that's what I did.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #398
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,656
I'm glad you checked the valve lash; I told you it was easy. Were the valve clearances in specifications? The XR650L usually holds valve clearances pretty well, but it affords peace of mind to check them occasionally.

Have you switched to the No-Toil Evolution filter oil? It's very easy to apply, even in a motel room; just let the air filter dry overnight before you install it in your bike. You can clean the air filter in a sink with Oxi-Clean (sodium percarbonate) and a gallon of warm water.

Incidentally, breakfast looks delicious!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #399
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Were the valve clearances in specifications? The XR650L usually holds valve clearances pretty well, but it affords peace of mind to check them occasionally.

Have you switched to the No-Toil Evolution filter oil?
Spud!

I was actually getting ready to ask you what the specifications were. The mechanic said that they were within spec, but I'm really just taking his word for it. The feeler gauge that we used was a "15" if that means anything.

I switched to No-Toil back in Oaxaca. I also found the Green No-Toil in Mexico. I've got to go back to the shop tomorrow to adjust my chain and do some work on my Pelicans. When i get back I'm going to clean and oil my filter again.

By the way, thanks for all of the assisstance and advice! It's paid off.

Ulyses
Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #400
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,656
Quote:
Spud!

I was actually getting ready to ask you what the specifications were. The mechanic said that they were within spec, but I'm really just taking his word for it. The feeler gauge that we used was a "15" if that means anything...
Here are the valve lash specifications.

Intake: 0.10mm or 0.004 inches
Exhaust: 0.12mm or 0.005 inches

It's important that the valves clearances are not too tight; looser is better than tighter. You can deviate plus or minus 0.02mm from the specifications, and all is well.
Quote:
...I switched to No-Toil back in Oaxaca. I also found the Green No-Toil in Mexico. I've got to go back to the shop tomorrow to adjust my chain and do some work on my Pelicans. When i get back I'm going to clean and oil my filter again.

By the way, thanks for all of the assisstance and advice! It's paid off.

Ulyses
You're welcome; I'm glad to help. I suggest you pull your air filter and clean it tomorrow, because you should let the filter dry completely before you re-oil it. You can clean the air filter with 2 ounces of No-Toil Cleaner in a gallon of water. The cleaning solution is completely non-toxic, so you can clean the air filter in any sink. Instead of No-Toil Cleaner, you can also use Oxi-Clean, or any other "oxygen cleaner" which contains sodium percarbonate. You can find these "oxygen cleaners" in most larger supermarkets. After you clean all the dirt and oil from the filter, dump the dirty water down the drain. Then rinse the soap out of the air filter, and let the filter dry completely before you apply the new filter oil. If you have enough bandwidth, you can watch the following video, which details the cleaning process.

After the air filter dries, you can also apply the No-Toil Evolution filter oil indoors. This filter oil employs water as a carrier, so it doesn't have any toxic fumes; you can apply it anywhere. Pour the oil into the air filter, and massage it into the foam so it distributes evenly. Then let the filter dry in the air until the oil becomes tacky. If possible, you should let the filter dry overnight. After the filter oil has dried, re-install the air filter in the bike, and the job is complete.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #401
omfgitsjeff
Custom User What?

Oddometer: 3
Hey Ulyses, I'm one of Justin's buddies from Oregon. Thanks for taking care of him, and for a great thread so far. It makes me very happy to see those stickers I made being passed around. Never imagined they'd get this much use, especially on a different continent! Great work man. Looking forward to meeting you when you're back in the states! Cheers.
omfgitsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #402
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,526
Good mileage you got out of those Avon's. Mine still have quite a bit of life left, but I have no idea when they were put on.

How do you think those Pirelli's will hold up?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #403
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Good mileage you got out of those Avon's. Mine still have quite a bit of life left, but I have no idea when they were put on.

How do you think those Pirelli's will hold up?
Brown Falcon

I ride Scorpions. I am maybe 3,000 miles into them, still going. Warning: You will slip on wet grass, mud, gravel. They are really only for asphalt. When they finally wear out I will go to semi-knobbies.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #404
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Brown Falcon

I ride Scorpions. I am maybe 3,000 miles into them, still going. Warning: You will slip on wet grass, mud, gravel. They are really only for asphalt. When they finally wear out I will go to semi-knobbies.
Yeah, the Avon Distenzias are nice for the street and do okay on gravel, but anything else and they leave you wanting...

I'm stepping up to more of a 50/50 tire next time. Not full on knobby, but more in that direction.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #405
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
OK, Medellin looks awesome! I am on my way If you are still there...see you in two days!

2003 KLR685 gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote