Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #436
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post
Thanks for posting this RR from here too. I found this thread after reading your question about valve adjustment on the XRL thread several days ago. Doing a ride like yours is one of my life goals, very high on the bucket list. So, while I'm stuck here shoveling snow in the Colorado rockies with 2 kids and a wicked mortgage, I have been remembering this story a few pages at a time and secretly planning for the day I can go too. Living vicariously thru your ride, keep it coming! The writing, pictures, and the attitude that comes thru in your writing make this one of the best so far.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the high country.
Thanks a bunch man! I love colordao! Where are you from?

Just to give you hope, I've met all sorts of people, with different life situations on this trip. Justin was the youngest at 27, and this old scottish guy named Stan was the oldest at 66. I've met guys who were married with jobs and mortgages who managed to work out a way to do this trip and keep everything together back home. There's old retired guys who are riding around the world on their pensions and young guys like me who worked like dogs for years to save up, then quit their jobs and went riding! Whatever your situation, if you really want it, you can make it happen.

Are you on an XRL? I'm toying with the idea of taking my XRL up to colorado next summer (if it survives this trip) and spending a few weeks rallying between 14er trailheads and trying to knock out the rest of the peaks on my list.

Good luck man! Keep in touch, maybe we could ride sometime!
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #437
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
That picture is nuts! My little 650 is probably just going to wheeze and die up there! I'll give it a shot though.

You are totally right: the best part so far has been the people. Wouldn't trade those meetings for anything.

I wish we had gotten to meet you in San Diego. Justin was talking about going to meet you at a bar or something, but then you had a problem with your place in Alaska and had to jet. Or at least that's what he told me.

I'm going to have to hit you up soon for some advice on the Salar. Did you hit that up solo?
Your XR is going to do fine up there, but you will notice the lack of power, and how hard it is to breath.

Yeah I had to split for Alaska since the kitchen flooded. That was a mess. Had to even tear up the sub-floor and start over. Memo to self: do not start up a 25 year old dishwasher and promptly leave town for 2 weeks. Sorry I didnt get to meet you guys.

I did most of the Lagunas Route solo. Its not too big a big problem, just take it easy because sections are very remote. I met up with a couple of German friends at Laguna Colorado and rode with them the rest of the way to Chile. They were riding BM 650's and the bikes did just fine, although they had EFI which helps things quite a bit.

When youre ready for probably more info than you want, just lemme know. There is a lot of do not miss stuff in Peru and Bolivia IMO.

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 07:35 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #438
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
We de smogged, de snorkled, dave's modded, and put on the UNI. I can't remember what jets we put in; I want to say it was 58/155? Lee, maybe you could chime in?

I have the factory jets which are a lot lower if I remember correctly, but I'll have to look at them to see how big they were. I don't remember off the top of my head.

I do know how to re-jet; however, I didn't think about doing it with the carb still on. That's makes sense. Thanks for the idea.

I had heard that you could adjust the mixture screw to comensate a little bit for altitude, maybe you can elaborate on that? Is that true?

The bike runs weak at high altitude; i've had it up to 10,000 feet a few times now and you definetly can feel the sluggishness. It also doesn't idle well at high altitude. If you don't keep it reved a little while you are idling, it tends to die pretty quickly.

Like crashmaster said, I'm about to start getting really high. Not sure what kind of adjustments I want to make yet (if any), but I'm looking for ideas.
I don't want to detract from your ride report with technical discussions. If you wish, I (and others) will be happy to answer your tech questions on the XRL thread. However, if you don't mind, I'll answer your questions here as well.

The pilot mixture screw (PMS) is the screw with the big knob on the front of the bottom of your carburetor. Did you trim the tab off this knob when you performed Dave's Mods?

Adjusting the PMS might help your engine run better at higher altitudes. Always adjust this screw when your engine is hot (not warm, hot). After the engine is at operating temperatures, adjust the PMS with the engine idling. Turn the screw inward (clockwise) until the idle speed becomes rough. Then turn the screw outwards (counterclockwise) until the idle speed picks up, and the engine idles smoothly. Don't go beyond this point, or the PMS will be set too rich. You will know the PMS is too rich if your bike starts to idle very high when you stop the bike at intersections, et cetera. If you observe this phenomenon, turn the PMS inward a bit until the problem disappears. The PMS should end up about 2-2.5 turns from the fully seated position.

If the PMS is much less than 2 turns out from the fully seated position, your pilot jet is too rich, and you need to install a smaller, leaner pilot jet. If your PMS is much more than 2.5 turns out from the fully seated position, your pilot jet is too lean, and you need to install a larger, richer pilot jet.

If you loosen both clamps on the carburetor, you can rotate the carburetor in place so the float bowl faces the right side of the motorcycle. First drain the float bowl. Then loosen the clamps and rotate the carb. If the carburetor won't rotate far enough, remove the choke cable from the left side of the carburetor. After the carb is rotated, remove the 4 screws which retain the float bowl, and remove the float bowl. Be careful not to drop the slosh baffle, or to lose the pin which secures the carburetor float. As the float rotates downward, you will have access to the carburetor jets.

The stock jets are:

Pilot Jet: 52
Main Jet: 152

If you bike runs too rich at higher altitudes, I suggest you first try a size 155, main jet, before you drop back to the stock, size 152, main jet. Your size 55, pilot jet will probably work well after you adjust your PMS. If your current pilot jet is too rich, you can drop back to the stock, size 52, pilot jet.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 05:36 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #439
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Best explanation I have ever heard ^^^^^^^^^^^^
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #440
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Incidentally, if you haven't trimmed the tab from your pilot mixture screw (PMS), it's range of adjustment will be limited. However, one should leave the tab on the PMS itself; don't trim the tab as shown in the photograph below.

Retaining the tab on the PMS facilitates turning the PMS for adjustment. Instead, trim the corresponding tab on the bottom of the carburetor.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 12-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #441
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

If you need to remove the choke cable to rotate the carburetor, be very careful not to lose any parts on the end of the choke cable. Also, exercise care when re-installing the choke cable. It's very easy to strip the fine threads on the plastic boot, and this is an expensive part to replace.

Spud
Old 12-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #442
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Thanks a bunch man! I love colordao! Where are you from?

Just to give you hope, I've met all sorts of people, with different life situations on this trip. Justin was the youngest at 27, and this old scottish guy named Stan was the oldest at 66. I've met guys who were married with jobs and mortgages who managed to work out a way to do this trip and keep everything together back home. There's old retired guys who are riding around the world on their pensions and young guys like me who worked like dogs for years to save up, then quit their jobs and went riding! Whatever your situation, if you really want it, you can make it happen.

Are you on an XRL? I'm toying with the idea of taking my XRL up to colorado next summer (if it survives this trip) and spending a few weeks rallying between 14er trailheads and trying to knock out the rest of the peaks on my list.

Good luck man! Keep in touch, maybe we could ride sometime!
I'm near Glenwood Springs, 160 miles west on Denver, work in Aspen. Right in the thick of the 14ers.We have some shorter climbs that are more difficult and as rewarding though. I was in Bend/Sisters/Crater lake summer before last on one of the best trips I've ever had. Love that place, can't wait to go back.

I'm riding a 99 XRL with several mods, low miles, but well used and loved. One day I'll point it toward the border.

If you make it here, we'll ride! I know some great trails/roads. In the meantime, have the time of your life down there.
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #443
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Chillin

Day 69
Medellin, Colombia
Day's Ride: 0 Miles

There isn't really much to write about today. Just a lazy day in Medellin. Byron and Isabel made it into Medellin last night and then showed up at the Shamrock today at noon, and we spent the afternoon hanging out. We walked to the mall to hunt for Christmas presents; Isabel's sister in law is from just outside of Medellin and they are going to the family Christmas party. Walking through Medellin, at least in the Poblado Neighborhood, feels like being back in the States or possibly Europe. Everything is very clean and modern.

We arrived in the mall and started shopping (ewww!). I did see something kind of funny:

This store, called "Americanino" was founded in Italy....huh?

Oh well. After a few minutes of walking around the mall, Byron and I couldn't stand it anymore and left Isabel to her own devices while we went to the food court and did man stuff.....like order ice cream cones.

After the mall we went to their Hostel to check out the BMW that they are riding. They bottomed out yesterday coming into Medellin and smashed their oil pan pretty good; now they've got a slight leak going. They just aren't having great luck with their bike. Luckily Byron is an ace mechanic and can pretty much fix anything!

We eventually made our way back to the Shamrock where Byron and Isabel met Al and Al's ferocious guard dog Missy:

As we were hanging out in the Shamrock, I looked around and found that Al had an Oregon license plate on his wall! Oh sweet Oregon, how I miss you!

Al's also got a lot of funny stuff up on his walls. Case in point:

For Dinner tonight we strolled on over to the popular Colombian chain (not sure if it's really a Colombian chain) "Crepes and Waffles".

When I ordered two entrées, the waitress wasn't sure that I knew what I was asking for and had to get her manager who spoke a little English to make sure the big bald gringo really wanted all of that food. Of course I do, I'm a real American, and real American's eat lot's and lot's of food!

I swear, wherever I go in the world outside of the USA, I can never get enough to eat. It's a constant struggle to make sure I'm getting my 3,000-5,000 calories a day.

Sorry for not really posting anything motorcycle related. Today was totally an off day. Tomorrow Al and I (and possibly Byron and Isabel) are going to ride out to Guatape and see the sights. That's all for now.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #444
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyses View Post

when i ordered two entrées, the waitress wasn't sure that i knew what i was asking for and had to get her manager who spoke a little english to make sure the big bald gringo really wanted all of that food. Of course i do, i'm a real american, and real american's eat lot's and lot's of food!

i swear, wherever i go in the world outside of the usa, i can never get enough to eat. It's a constant struggle to make sure i'm getting my 3,000-5,000 calories a day.
marika!!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #445
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 231
Badass

Great ride report, you've single handedly managed to render me completely useless at work for a solid hour. Thanks for taking the time, your trip is truly inspiring.
-T
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #446
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:

Step 3: Arrive at the Independence and watch as the Captain ties two aged static lines around your bike with a couple of bowline knots and then hoists the whole mess on board with a crappy electric hoist.

here's a christmas comparison of ships and knots and fixings for you...i don't think there is really too much difference reading your report about the independence and the stahlratte....have a great christmas on the road Ulyses... and bubbletron should be back with you in a day or two according to her

rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #447
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 165
Merry Christmas! Thanks for the RR.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #448
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey it's Guatape!

Day 70
Medellin, Colombia to Guatape, Colombia and back
Day's Ride: 115 Miles

I feel like crap. I think I'm coming down with something bad. I've got a fever and I'm feeling nauseous; it's almost as bad as being on the independence. I'll try and crank this out before I lose my lunch...

Met up this morning with Byron and Isabel for breakfast. Al and his savage beast of an attack dog Missy came along too. It was one big ADV rider happy family gathered at the local coffee shop.

After breakfast we all headed over to Frederico's shop so that the Brits could get some parts and Al could pick up his 990 Super Moto. Afterwords we all decided to ride out to a place called Guatape to see a really famous rock. Al and I went back to the Shamrock; while we were waiting for Byron and Isabel, Al let me ride his 990 Supermoto.

Up until this point, I haven't realized how terrible the motorcycles I've been riding are. Getting on this thing was like switching from a Model T to a Corvette. Holy cow! Hot damn! The throttle is super responsive and snappy, the brembo brakes stop on a dime, and the whole bike turns so fast it's unbelievable! Jumping on a modern liquid cooled, twin cylinder, fuel injected bike was a huge difference from my poor thumper. Wow. I want one!

Byron and Isabel showed up and we were off! Seeing them fully loaded up on their bike is a sight.

Somewhere beneath all of that gear is a R100RS that's still faithfully chugging along.

They hit a nasty pot hole back in Honduras which pretty much destroyed their suspension and cracked both of their wheels. They managed to limp into Nicaragua and send out an SOS. ADV riders came out of the woodwork to help them get back on the road. Various people from around the country shipped parts to total stranger who happened to be flying to Nicaragua. This guy collected everything and took it to them!

They call their bike "The Flying Aga". I had to have them explain to me what an Äga" is. Apparently, back in the UK, an Aga is a combination wood stove/oven. Everything makes sense now. Byron showed me where they had to re-weld their wheel:

On the way to Guatape, my XR650L crossed a major milestone: the odometer broached 10,000 miles!

We arrived at Guatape and finally beheld the rock:

This thing is massive! It's over 200 meters tall and was first climbed in 1954. It's rather conspicuous as it is perched just above a massive man made reservoir and is nowhere near to any other rocks or mountains.

Definitely worth the trip. We huffed and puffed our way to the top while Al stayed at the little café at the bottom and watched.

The view from the top was fantastic:

After the rock we headed into the town of Guatape for lunch.

Byron decided to follow my lead from last night and go American on an entire pizza!

After lunch we started heading back. Byron and Isabel can't quite go as fast on their flying stove as most motos, so Al and I pulled over at major turns to wait for them.

We dropped Byron and Isabel off in Llano Grande where they were supposed to meet up with Isabel's sister in-law (who's Colombian) and go to her house for Christmas.

We then made the ride back into Medellin. Al's way faster than me on his rocket ship. I had constantly strain my eyes to catch sight of the orange blur hundreds of meters in front of me.

Coming down the hill back into Medellin at night was pretty awesome. The lights of the city were spectacular. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't do it justice.

Right as we pulled into the Shamrock, advrider bubbletron came around the corner and surprised us! She and another rider had just gotten in from Venezuela a few hours ago. Time for an advrider Christmas eve feast! Or maybe a festivus.

Thanks again to everyone who is reading along and to everyone who is giving me encouragement, tips, and advice! I wish all of you a merry christmas!

God bless,

Bryce

P.S. I'm going to go be sick now.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #449
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,178
I hope you had a really good Festivus pole this year, they really make the holiday.

Hope you have an even better Christmas.

Try not to ralph on your laptop.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u

wbedient screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 05:45 PM
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #450
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 818
It's a Fetivus for the rest of us!

Did you eat any gravy lately?