Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #556
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I love how this ride report is written in real time... Though I must say I am quite jealous right about now. The holidays are over, back to the grind tomorrow morning, and there's about 8 inches of snow on the ground. Ugh.

So I guess what I am trying to say is
Thanks man! I'm actually kind of envious of you, I miss the snow. But I don't want to trade places...
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #557
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Hey Bryce, just came across your ride thread yesterday from someone mentioning it on the XRL thread (I have one too) and am currently following you through Mexico... Vaya! So cool... but then I noticed your location, Ecuador. Man, you are really covering some ground! While I'll go back and read through the ride, I thought I'd fast-forward since I have family in Ecuador and perhaps you'd like to meet some or perhaps hear about some cool places to check out. PM me anytime!
For example, if you head back north out toward the way you came into Quito, there is a place called "Mitad del Mundo" which is a monument to where the equator goes through. No biggie but its' like everyone who goes to Ecuador sees it. That road that swings off to the west, goes past an awesome overlook to a crater valley called Pululahua, so worth checking out. It's just off the road to Mindo, and as you almost reach the cutoff to the town of Mindo, there's a wonderful place to visit and stay called Mindo Loma on the left. We know the family. Anyway, that's my shout out, so I'll see if I hear back from you to talk about more (better PM me though since I'm still 'in' Mexico hehe). Que Dios lo acompañe adelante! So fun reading about your adventure. Cuanto cuesta un cuarto?
Awesome! Thanks! PM Sent!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #558
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Enjoying your report. Can't believe we didn't meet while you were at the Horizons Unlimited meeting in Cambria. I usually gravitate towards fellow "L" riders and ex Marines as I ride an 07 "L" and spent 22 years in the Corp. I rode my Strom down from Bend Oregon to the meeting. Ride Report Here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840550
I didn't end up staying for the full three days but wished I'd of met you. Would have loved to discuss your trip and your set up on the bike as I'm planning on selling my business in a couple of years and doing the same trip. Can't decide if I want to do it on the XR or the Strom. Funny you stayed in a cabin with with Brad and Harold from Giant Loop. I know both of them here in Bend. I live about two miles from Dave Wachs, the guy that originally came up with the Giant Loop design. Not sure the Giant Loop would have been your answer to your rack problem. I like mine but you can't really secure anything. Box cutter and they're in. I take mine on trips all the time but for what you're doing I don't think it would work. Hard sided for security seems the right option. Ever up in Bend stop by and I'll buy a fellow jarhead a cold one. Keep up the post. I'm subscribed and ride safe.

Semper Fi Mac!
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #559
OlafofOregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Happy New Year! Glad your trip is going well - enjoying the pics and report.
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #560
axxerd
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I love living vicariously through the ride reports on this forum...and this one is one that I'm especially enjoying!

I really wish I didn't live on an island in the north east of North America (Newfoundland). In order to do something like this I'd have to ride thousands of miles just to get to the starting point of most other riders.

Some day though....some day!
axxerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #561
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Frankenrack....it's alive!!

Day 79 (January 2, 2013)
Quito, Ecuador
Day's Ride: 5 Miles

Today was almost totally consumed with the hunt for a welder/machine shop. I figured I would start at Freedom Bike Rentals, a bike rental company owned by an American and a Frenchman in downtown Quito. Syovain, the french half of the team, was extremely helpful and even brewed us all esspresso shots.

The shop he sent me to decided that the job wa too big and complicated; however, they pointed me towards a muffler shop a few blocks down the road.

As soon as I pulled into the shop, I noticed that they had a mig welder, drill presses, oxy/acetalene torches, bench grinders, pipebenders, steel cutters, and various other actual legitamite tools that are generally lacking in the average Latin American metal shop. Most shops down here consist of some dude with a half broken Lincoln tombstone stick welder and a hacksaw.

The workers were quite happy to help and by this point I've become quite good at explaining bike problems in Spanish, so explaining what I wanted was actually quite easy.. I suppose that's not a good thing. I busted out my tools and started disassembling the rack.

It's funny, but the bike actually looks pretty nice without all of that steel tubing hanging off the side.

I then took out my round file (glad I brought that) cleaned up the break.

After zapping the break with the mig welder, we got down to business and added about 10 pounds of gussets to the rack. I had to supervise and explain that:

1) Yes, we should sand off the paint before we start welding
2) No, 2 small tack welds on each gusset is not enough
3) Yes, I want you to go back over the holes that you made with the welder and fill them in

Despite being the best welders that I've had the pleasure of working with thus far, their work left a lot to be desired. Apparently running a bead around the entire length of each gusset was too much work, and therefore impossible; however, I bagered, cajoled, and pleaded with them enough that we were able to work out a solution. In the end, I think we created a monster. I'll warn you, it doesn't look pretty, but I'm crossing my fingers and praying that it will hold:

I had them add a significant amount of gussets on the inside of the rack as well. Highlighted in red are some of the extra bits that we added today...

After we finished up the welding, I had them sign my tank and take a picture with me.

And then they told me the price: $60. I was shocked. I told them that that was a little bit expensive for the quality that I had recieved. They just shrugged their shoulders and repeated the price. I really should have negotiated that before hand. That was definetly not $60 worth of quality welding. Oh well.

After paying up, I split down to the hardware store and bought some black spraypaint. Then it was back to the Hostel for a graphiti party on the sidewalk.

There are now several black outlines of a TCI outback rack on the sidwalk in front of the hostel.....it's better to ask for forgivness than permission. Actually, I don't think anyone really cares down here.

Now the paint is drying and I'm going to bed. I'll leave you with a view of the city from the roof of the Hostel:

Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #562
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,575
The dude must not like the mig much It's really neat finding the good shops down in SA where serious craftsmanship is going on. I've seen some amazing machine shops down South.

Yep $60 was way on the high side, +1 on negotiating the price up front, saves the awkward situations.

Enjoying the report, was hoping you'd stay in Colombia and become a regular

So how do you like Ecuador compared to Colombia You had a nice place for New Years and looked like a wild fun party
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #563
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
Enjoying your report. Can't believe we didn't meet while you were at the Horizons Unlimited meeting in Cambria. I usually gravitate towards fellow "L" riders and ex Marines as I ride an 07 "L" and spent 22 years in the Corp. I rode my Strom down from Bend Oregon to the meeting. Ride Report Here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840550
I didn't end up staying for the full three days but wished I'd of met you. Would have loved to discuss your trip and your set up on the bike as I'm planning on selling my business in a couple of years and doing the same trip. Can't decide if I want to do it on the XR or the Strom. Funny you stayed in a cabin with with Brad and Harold from Giant Loop. I know both of them here in Bend. I live about two miles from Dave Wachs, the guy that originally came up with the Giant Loop design. Not sure the Giant Loop would have been your answer to your rack problem. I like mine but you can't really secure anything. Box cutter and they're in. I take mine on trips all the time but for what you're doing I don't think it would work. Hard sided for security seems the right option. Ever up in Bend stop by and I'll buy a fellow jarhead a cold one. Keep up the post. I'm subscribed and ride safe.

Semper Fi Mac!
Errrrr!

Bend?!? That's awesome! I grew up in Hermiston! What unit were you with? I'll definetly stop by Bend when I get back and take you up on that beer!

The XRL has been great on this trip (other than the damn luggage rack), but I think the V-Strom would be great too. In fact, they actually manufacture V-Strom's down here (and DR650s) so it would be much easier to get parts and repairs done. A lot of the Cops ride V-Stroms and DR650s.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #564
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxerd View Post
I love living vicariously through the ride reports on this forum...and this one is one that I'm especially enjoying!

I really wish I didn't live on an island in the north east of North America (Newfoundland). In order to do something like this I'd have to ride thousands of miles just to get to the starting point of most other riders.

Thanks! Newfoundland? You should send a PM to kedgi (real name: Dwight). He's from Newbrunswick and he's doing this trip right now. His ride report is "Lobsters to Llamas". He's actually staying here at the Hostel with me in Quito.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #565
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
Happy New Year! Glad your trip is going well - enjoying the pics and report.
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #566
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Day 79 (January 2, 2013)
Syovain, the french half of the team, was extremely helpful and even brewed us all esspresso shots.

A Frenchman wearing a don't tread on me shirt? I really don't know what to say right now. I want to make a French military joke but the shirt confuses me.

Quote:
It's funny, but the bike actually looks pretty nice without all of that steel tubing hanging off the side.

Yeah it does!

Quote:
After we finished up the welding, I had them sign my tank and take a picture with me.

And then they told me the price: $60. I was shocked. I told them that that was a little bit expensive for the quality that I had recieved. They just shrugged their shoulders and repeated the price. I really should have negotiated that before hand. That was definetly not $60 worth of quality welding. Oh well.
The dude on the right look like someone pissed in his Cheerios. Was that you?
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #567
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
The dude must not like the mig much It's really neat finding the good shops down in SA where serious craftsmanship is going on. I've seen some amazing machine shops down South.

Yep $60 was way on the high side, +1 on negotiating the price up front, saves the awkward situations.

Enjoying the report, was hoping you'd stay in Colombia and become a regular

So how do you like Ecuador compared to Colombia You had a nice place for New Years and looked like a wild fun party
Yeah, I got taken. That was way too much money. There were some really good shops in Medellin with real professional machinists and everything; unfortunately, I didn't notice the break until I was in the middle of nowhere ecuador. I'm sure there is probably someone good in Quito, but I was in a bit of a hurry. Oh well.

I was so tempted to stay in Colombia. Excellent country and amazing people! I had to kick myself in the ass to get back on the road again. I need to start riding south again, or I'm going to run out of money sooner than I want....

Ecuador has been cool so far, but I have only been here for two days, so I'm looking forward to getting out of Quito into some of the smaller towns and seeing the sights. But so far, Colombia and Mexico have been my favorite countries.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #568
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post

The dude on the right look like someone pissed in his Cheerios. Was that you?
No, he just wasn't happy that I kept pointing out his mistakes and telling him to fix them. Maybe that's why he charged me so much. How come you aren't down here to do my welding for me? I did a little bit of MIG today to demonstrate what I wanted; it actually turned out okay.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #569
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
No, he just wasn't happy that I kept pointing out his mistakes and telling him to fix them. Maybe that's why he charged me so much. How come you aren't down here to do my welding for me? I did a little bit of MIG today to demonstrate what I wanted; it actually turned out okay.
I wish!
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #570
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxerd View Post

Welcome, Axxerd.

Newfies are some of the most interesting people that I have ever met (especially the girls, exiled to drilling camps in Alberta). The only problem is that I could barely understand them--always had to ask them to open their mouths wider when they spoke!

You are right; you would have quite the ride just to get to the starting point.