Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #631
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
One sitting?! Man, that's some dedication! I'm honored!
I have a brand new to me 06 950ADV in my garage and my gear is a few weeks out.. ITs KILLING me...

I promised myself I was going to hold out till the Components for ATGATT is here.. This thing is a gorilla...

Have fun!

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #632
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 868
Hey dude, I've been enjoying reading your ride report. While I own an XR400, I think my trip in two years (similar to yours) will be done on a DR650. I wanted to also say, thanks a lot for mentioning the places you're staying. I've been writing them down and its awesome.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #633
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,142
Thanks again for being so diligent with keeping up with this ride report each night. It's really a top notch ride report!

I noticed that you're doing quite a bit more miles each day and have mentioned running short on time and money. When do you estimate that you'll reach Ushuaia and finish your trip?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #634
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Hey dude, I've been enjoying reading your ride report. While I own an XR400, I think my trip in two years (similar to yours) will be done on a DR650. I wanted to also say, thanks a lot for mentioning the places you're staying. I've been writing them down and its awesome.
You bet man! I think the DR650 may be the best bike for this trip. They're more simple (and more powerful) than a KLR, there are lots of great aftermarket components for them, and they actually manufacture them down here, so it should be a little easier to get parts if you run into trouble.

I'll try and get a little more detailed with trip info. I've just been putting down hotels and hostals as a side thought. If you look at Jdowns report, he's got all kinds of info, including how much money he spent that day. He's really detailed!
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #635
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Thanks again for being so diligent with keeping up with this ride report each night. It's really a top notch ride report!

I noticed that you're doing quite a bit more miles each day and have mentioned running short on time and money. When do you estimate that you'll reach Ushuaia and finish your trip?
I'm hoping to be in Ushuai by the end of February and then in Buenos Aires or possibly Rio by mid to end March. I need to have just enough money left over to get home and find a job without going too far in the hole.

I have made some larger runs in the past few days, but I'm going to slow down a little today and go see the Cordillera Blanca, as recomended by Al from the Shamrock.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #636
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,009
Naylamp is a great place. Spent about a week there

Dont miss Cañon del Pato on your way to the mountains. From Huanchaco, head down the coast to
Santa, and go east. After Caraz and Huaraz, the route through the Andes to Cuzco is well worth it and way better than Lima and the coast IMO. From Huaraz you can head to the ruins at Chavin, a really cool little village, then make you way along the spine of the Andes to Cuzco. After that, Lago Titicaca and Bolivia! Its going to be epic.

Here is some info for a possible route through Peru and Bolivia if you are looking for ideas. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833958

Buen viaje!

crashmaster screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 02:59 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #637
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Rider Down! Rider Up!

So, I've had a hell of a day today. Rode Canon del Pato; amazing 50 mile stretch of dirt, words don't do it justice. Made it to the Cordillera Blanca and saw some amazing mountains; again, words don't do it justice. Then, got hit by a car and skidded along the pavement for about 20 feet. After I stopped sliding, I jumped up and checked myself over; no broken bones, not even a scractch on me (that's why you should always wear gear). The bike is okay, the luggage rack took nearly all of the blow. It's a little bent up, but it's nothging that you can't buff out with a little bondo.

Justin, if you are reading this, I think your Pelican cases attract crazy latin drivers and their vehicles. I didn't smash up the guys hood as much as you did though.

Had the guy who hit me sign my gas tank, then rode off for Huaraz were I ate two dinners and drank four Pale Ales from the local brewery. And now I'm going to crash because I'm extremely tired. I'll write it up in the morning (with the pictures) before I leave.

Man, I can't believe I'm still alive. Thank you Jesus!

Cheers.

Bryce
Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #638
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,048
Good to hear you walked away unscathed.

I'm getting on the plane to Arequipa tomorrow, staring the ride north on Saturday. If you'll be heading towards Nazca, chances are I'll run into you.
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #639
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,221
Holy Crap!

Glad to hear you're doing fine, and that your Big Red Pig even escaped serious damage (hopefully you don't wake up sore) .

From here on out: keep the rubber side down!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #640
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Good thing you beefed up that rack
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #641
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
So, I've had a hell of a day today. Rode Canon del Pato; amazing 50 mile stretch of dirt, words don't do it justice. Made it to the Cordillera Blanca and saw some amazing mountains; again, words don't do it justice. Then, got hit by a car and skidded along the pavement for about 20 feet. After I stopped sliding, I jumped up and checked myself over; no broken bones, not even a scractch on me (that's why you should always wear gear). The bike is okay, the luggage rack took nearly all of the blow. It's a little bent up, but it's nothging that you can't buff out with a little bondo.

Justin, if you are reading this, I think your Pelican cases attract crazy latin drivers and their vehicles. I didn't smash up the guys hood as much as you did though.

Had the guy who hit me sign my gas tank, then rode off for Huaraz were I ate two dinners and drank four Pale Ales from the local brewery. And now I'm going to crash because I'm extremely tired. I'll write it up in the morning (with the pictures) before I leave.

Man, I can't believe I'm still alive. Thank you Jesus!

Cheers.

Bryce

Bryce,

Glad to hear you are ok, I think you may have a dozen guardian angels riding with you. I am happy to hear you are a atgatt guy now. I expect to see that on the hardly too.

Ride safe, Scott.
96ssportsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #642
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,564
Hopefully, once you get up and going this morning your self assessment and careful go over of the bike are uneventful.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #643
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Dang man you have nine lives! Run over by clueless boat captains and hit by errant drivers. Thank God you came out OK.
aviatorbdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #644
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
-- Jesus H. Cristo. Glad to hear you are OK.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #645
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,009
Glad you came out of that one unhurt. I think Peru was where I had the most close calls for sure, generally with trucks and busses.

I was lucky during my travels. I only got hit by one pickup which did a fair amount of damage to the bike, but I was unhurt in that 70 mph get off, lucky. The rest of my crashes over the 45,000 miles were self induced.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote