Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #721
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
You know, I've been thinking about this a lot lately ...[but] ... that doesn't mean I'm going to stop making fun of people who pull over to take pictures every thirty minutes.....
That's great, Bryce; I can see you've put a good bit of thought into this. There really is a lot to it, in a sense. In another sense, we just do what we find most rewarding. I have to concede personality is the bigger contributor, however I also see personalities developing with age. I feel like I'd personally be slowing down and speeding up trying to find a balance.

And of course I too would make fun of people who waited a whole thirty minutes to take another picture of such breathtaking surroundings!

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #722
Plasterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Age adds insight to the brevity of life and enlightens one to the importance of simplicity.

Time is the enemy no matter what your age.
Plasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #723
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Well said Bryce. There are an infinite number of reasons for doing a trip like yours. I have to force myself to slow down on bike trips. I have a need to "get there" and miss muchas cosas interesantes as a result.

I'm really enjoying your report. It's a great mix of photos and writing. I appreciate the effort it must take. I'll pay it forward when it's my turn.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #724
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
great RR!

Thanks for the RR! This is also a dream of mine.

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #725
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Well said Bryce. There are an infinite number of reasons for doing a trip like yours. I have to force myself to slow down on bike trips. I have a need to "get there" and miss muchas cosas interesantes as a result.

I'm really enjoying your report. It's a great mix of photos and writing. I appreciate the effort it must take. I'll pay it forward when it's my turn.
Thanks! What kind of bike are you planning on taking?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #726
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsinvegas View Post
Thanks for the RR! This is also a dream of mine.
Thanks! How's Vegas these days? I lived a few hours away in 29 Palms. And my aunt, uncle, and cousin are from Vegas.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #727
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Thanks! What kind of bike are you planning on taking?
I'm taking my 09 DR650
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #728
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

America Day

Day 90 (January 13, 2013)
Lima, Peru
Day's Ride: 0 Miles

Today was absolutely refreshing. I did nothing but veg around, type some emails, take a nap, and move to a new hostel.

I spent the morning at Starbucks doing emails and such. It's always nice to get some good coffee. It's so odd that so many of these countries produce the coffee that we drink in the states but typically prefer to drink instant coffee. Consequently, getting some actual coffee, even if it is from Starbucks, is a real treat.

Around noon I moved to a new Hostel in the Mira Flores district. It's called Hitchhiker's Backpacker's Hostel and they have a huge parking area, solid wifi, and beds in the dormitorio for 25 Soles ($10). There are actually a bunch of overlanders here, inluding two American couples in Toyota trucks, a German couple in a Westfalia, and some Welsh people in a huge diesel van.

For lunch I walked up the street to the local super market; it was pretty much like a Whole Foods back in the states.

Clean orderly aisles, fresh produce, a large selection of organic food; it all started making me a little homesick.

I spent the rest of the day hanging out with all of the overlanders, sharing stories about our travels, and drinking cheap wine and rum. This evening we all crowded into a Westfalia and went out for Mediteranean food.

It's been a while since I've had a good hummus, but this stuff certainly hit the spot. As we were leaving, I noticed a fro-yo place nearby. It's been so long since I had some good fro-yo; I couldn't resist.

In essence, the Mira Flores district of Lima is where all of the rich people live. It definetly shows. There's tons of gringos, and lots of really nice resteraunts and shops. Still, it was nice to relax today and spend some time with some fellow Americans, eat some good food, and do nothing productive. There really wasn't much to write about today. Hopefully I'll have some more interesting stuff tomorrow. Cheers!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #729
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
I'm taking my 09 DR650
Man, I just looked at your website, that's incredible! Very well done! I wish I was tech savy enough to put something like that together!

The DR650 is probably the perfect bike for this trip. I've seen a lot of them in Central and South America. Mostly police bikes, but some civiliian bikes as well. Hopefully, if something goes wrong, you won't have a hard time getting parts for it. If my XRL goes down, I'll be haning out for a few weeks (or months) until they can ship a part in from Japan or the states.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #730
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Well I would say that I haven't been impressed with those STI racks so far on your adventure. You have abused the crap out of them, but I would expect better for the money.

When do you think you'll be back in Oregon?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #731
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Financial Backing

A few people have suggested to me that I put up a paypal donate button on my blog so that they could send me money. I was hesitant to do that as I felt that I would be okay without contributions and that the money would be better spent on other people. Still, enough people have mentioned it that I decided to put it up. I know there are quite a few people who actually fund RTW trips doing this kind of thing and I'm not one to turn down a bit of free gas money. If you are interested, click on one of the links in my signature, then click on the donate button on the upper right hand side of my blog.

I'll be honest, even if no one gives me any money, I'll still keep posting a report most every day. I spend about an hour every day uploading pictures and writing. Actually, due to the constant variation in wifi quality down here, most of that time is spent uploading pictures. That's why the writing tends to be a little sub-par and un-edited. To me it's worth it; I enjoy writing about the experience and I enjoy sharing it with people. Even if I wasn't doing a ride report, I would still be keeping a pretty detailed journal.

If you do choose to donate, please know that I will only spend your money on beer, gasoline, bribery of elected officials/police officers, and motorcycle parts. But seriously, all of the money will go towards completing this trip. I will also donate 10% back to www.advrider.com.

Finally, I'm going to pull a page out of jdown's play book. If you do chose to donate, I will gladly scrawl your username (or real name) on my gas tank. Consider it as a small purchase of some real estate on my Honda. If you do donate, please comment about it in this thread so that I can make sure I write your user name (or real name) on my gas tank and get some pictures of it to send to you and post up on the report. Hell, if someone were to give me enough money, I may even be willing to shave my beard....but that would have to be a lot of money....

Thanks again to all of the people who have been reading along and giving me tips, advice, and support. I've received a lot of support from people like you and the adventure rider community in general. It's been amazing to see how this community can come together and support it's own, especially in situations like Justin's. Take care,

Bryce
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #732
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

I didn't send anywhere near what it might take to shave that fuzz off your face, but your report has been very helpful to me. Normally I don't want recognition but I want to say that I have no problem contributing and certainly have no issue with being asked. Jammin Jay sells T-shirts, one of which I regularly wear and I direct people to his RR.
Keep up the fine work
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #733
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,542
Hi Bryce,

I donated some gas money. I don't currently need it. I'm still stuck in Panama waiting for the Sherpa loveboat.

Tio Juanito on the tank will go nicely with that bandito mustache on the front fender.
See you back in Oregon or down the road someday. Always enjoy checking in on your ride report. Keep up the good work!

Saludos,
Tio Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 04:15 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #734
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Hell, if someone were to give me enough money, I may even be willing to shave my beard....but that would have to be a lot of money....
Bryce
Sell out!
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #735
Plasterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
How much to shave the beard?
Plasterman is offline   Reply With Quote