How much to shave the beard?
$2,000 to him and me.
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #737
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Update

Internet is absolute crap here tonight. I'll have to wait till the morning to post. Just spent nearly $400 on the bike today and I'm not very happy. I'll post up in the moring. Goodnight to everyone!

Ulyses
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #738
Tgpatrsn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
just donated. I have been reading this RR everyday. I am stuck working and just happy to see someone out there living the dream!!!

Tgpatrsn
Tgpatrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #739
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
I saw this thread awhile back but didn't have time to read it until this weekend, truly amazing.
You have met up with some real incredible people on your journey and are having one hell of an amazing adventure. I'm impressed how often your able to post up and keep all of us in the now as your trip continues.
Thanks for taking the time to share.
You started to talk about how some ppl fly threw there trips while others seem to stop every 30 miles or so. I wonder how many riders think that way too. On a recant trip I had a hard time finding pple to ride with do to the same thing, but concluded that we all have are own goals and as long as you meet these you get the trip you set out on.
Good luck to you.

booger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #740
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Sent some $ your way. Hope it can help ease the bite of those expensive repairs to the bike.
We met at the HU Cambria meet up and I hope to leave Los Angeles and hit the road to Ushuaia in September on my BMW G650 X Challenge. Glad you're ok after those close calls. All the best, Bryce!

-Dan Ford
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #741
Plasterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Donated to the adventure. Keep keeping on.

Plasterman
Plasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #742
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Moto Parts in Peru = $$$$$

Day 91 (January 14, 2013)
Lima, Peru
Day's Ride: 0 Miles

What a day. I got to the moto shop around nine and immediately took my other broken rack piece over to the welder. I hadn't noticed this fracture due to its being on the bottom of the rack. Luckily, all the gussets held it together and it didn't totally snap off.

Once again the welding was not quite as nice as I could of hoped for. Still, it's all stuck together now, so I guess we just have to conduct an experiment and ride the piss out of it to see just how long it lasts.

I returned to the shop and commenced waiting. And waiting. And waiting. This was factory owned Honda shop, so they weren’t too keen on letting me back in the shop to help with the work. So, I sat there all day and waited.

They weren't able to fabricate me a new chain guard; however, they just happened to have an XR650L in the shop. The manager said that he would give me the chain guard off of the their bike and then just order a new one from the states. Now that was cool. Here's my bike receiving a transfusion from the donor:

Unfortunately, the chain guard, which only costs $40 in the states, costs nearly $80 in Peru due to import fees and shipping.

I also told them that I wanted an X-ring chain or just the best chain they could find in Lima. I found out later that this was a mistake. Here's the chain that I got:

This chain ended up costing $153! I'm getting hammered by these expensive motorcycle parts down here.

It took a while for them to get the luggage rack back on the bike. They did a great job bending it back into shape; it's almost as straight as new! Unfortunately, they couldn't balance my front tire, which is a little out of whack after that flat. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and try and avoid the death wobble. They also didn't have 10W-40 synthetic oil, so as soon as they finished I had to make a mad dash around the moto shops of Lima looking for my oil. It turns out that there was a huge shortage of 10W-40 in Lima; it's the new unicorn blood! Eventually I was able to find two liters of it, for about $35!

After the hunt had concluded, I headed back to the Hostel to do some more maintenance. I made a little mess in their parking lot, but no one seemed to mind.

I took the used oil and threw it in a trash can on the street. About an hour later I was walking down that same street and found that all the oil had leaked out and formed a huge puddle on the side walk.....ooops!

Final event of the night was the air filter. Once again, in order to get it dry fast enough to apply the filter oil and let it have time to get tacky, I was forced to go find a hand drier in a restaurant bathroom.

I finished off the evening by cooking dinner with some of the fellow overlanders at the Hostel and drinking a few local beers.

In conclusion, thanks to everyone who has donated! I'm going to try to get some pictures tonight of the gas tank and send some more personal thank yous!

Ulyses screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 07:06 AM
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #743
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 879
I don't think you got hit too hard on the chain. A 114 link chain should cost over 100$ to my understanding.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #744
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,366
Oil Level

Since I'm at work and don't have acess to my service manual I'll throw this out there. I think your bike takes more than two liters of oil per service. Especially if you changed the filter which you don't mention. You DO NOT want to head out with out a full amount of oil. When I service my XRL I use 2 1/2 quarts to get a full reading.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #745
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Bryce,

Make sure the bead is seated on your front tire. Examine the bead around the entire circumference of the tire on both sides of the tire. If the bead is not fully seated your front wheel will noticeably hop as it turns. If the bead is not seated, you can support the front wheel and deflate the tire while its mounted on the bike. Then apply Windex, soapy water, or some other lubricant to the bead on both sides of the tire. After the bead is lubricated, re-inflate the tire and watch to ensure the bead seats on both sides of the rim.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #746
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Bryce,

Since your luggage rack is fracturing so frequently, I fear your bike's subframe might also be damaged. The photograph below shows the point on the subframe which is most likely to fracture first.

I strongly encourage you to inspect this area often. If you see the paint start to flake, or notice a hairline fracture at the bottom of the gusset, take prompt action to fix the problem. This area is located on the right subframe, just behind the air box.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #747
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
.... I made a little mess in their parking lot, but no one seemed to mind. ... I took the used oil and threw it in a trash can on the street. ...and found that all the oil had leaked out and formed a huge puddle on the side walk.....ooops!...
Bryce, I love everything you're doing on this trip, except this kinda stuff. This isn't the first time you've reported polluting and/or trashing up a place. I hope you realize you are acting as an ambassador for any of us who may follow you. They may appear not to mind and not say anything to you but I assure you nobody takes kindly to anyone disrespecting their environment (and by extension, them). They will be talking about you for a while! And then they will consider the rest of us to be like you. We'll take the heat for your indiscretions. I'm sure others are thinking it also, but someone's got to step up and say it.

I suggest you treat wherever you are with the same respect and consideration as if it were your own place, or your parents' place. Tread lightly; leave it the same or better than you found it. Thanks!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #748
duncanfc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Well I for one happen to love the smell of patchouli on people, and am thrilled to hear there are people still using it. I will have to include Corvallis and find that shop when I get together a riding trip out West some day!
When I went to OSU back in the 80's, I worked at the Beanery, which I think is the same coffee hut this fellow is talking about (there was another, but sorority girls went there...granola types came to the Beanery).

It is at the corner of NW Monroe and NW 26th...well, it was there in the 80's. (by the way, there was a sister coffee hut by the same name on SW Washington and SW 2nd).

I used to ride my Seca 750 with a few motorcyclists who came to the coffee hut on weekends, but I could never keep up.

One of them, Paul O'Neil, a die hard motorcyclist by morning and night (by day, he was an oceanography engineer at the university) who looked like the leather clad hell angel sterotype who did heroin daily from age 18 to 50, rode a Honda Hurricane among other very fast bikes (didn't have an HD as far as I knew).

From what I heard after I graduated, he ended up going off the road on Mary's Peak at speed one morning and into a tree. A friend of his in the lead got to the bottom, waited, then came back up looking for him. A gruesome scene against a Douglas Fir and RIP Paul.

If you do get to Corvallis, head on out past Philomoth, and when you get the fork in road, don't go to Newport but take the road to Alsea (bear left), follow the road till you get to the Mary's Peak turn off. Nice ride to the top and great view on a good day.

But I digress, back to the story at hand......
duncanfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #749
DocRock
considerothers

Oddometer: 4
Bryce: no need to reply to the donation. I appreciate your past service to our country, and the great RR. At 68 I'm hoping to spend some time in Columbia within the next couple of years after reading your report. I've done service work in Equador with medical community and loved the scenery and the people. However, your descripions of border- crossing perils are a bit much for me. Will be riding the Yellowstone area this July with my wife and hope to meet up with some of the AVriders. Unfortunately, will be too far north to make the Ouray and Silverton rallys. Ride safe!
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #750
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanfc View Post
... corner of NW Monroe and NW 26th... ... Paul O'Neil, ... A gruesome scene against a Douglas Fir and RIP Paul. ... Mary's Peak turn off. Nice ride to the top and great view on a good day. ....
Fascinating! Thanks Duncan for the tips, and may Paul rest in peace; that could happen to any of us. There by the grace of God... I've had a few friends now depart via motorcycle. I may be next (crazy as I am). Peace!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote