Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #871
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post

When you get back we are going to climb South Sister and ski down.
You should invite my brother in Bend! beautiful area there.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #872
Novice Adv
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Awesome pics of Machu Picchu! Keep them coming.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Novice Adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #873
Perrymedic
What was that?

Oddometer: 18
Enjoying the RR. Thanks for sharing!
Perrymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #874
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,495
Man, those ruins are amazing!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #875
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Bryce,

As always, thank you for taking the time to document your travels. Your photographs from Machu Picchu are amazing!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #876
lorenxonunex
BajaXplorer

Oddometer: 5
Hermoso viaje my friend

thanks for posting and keep us update.... amaizing trip.
any time stoping by baja let me know my friend..

thanks again.

lorenxonunex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #877
squirley
punk in drublic

Oddometer: 151
Great rr brother, good for you and the rr has been good for me! Safe travels on! Keep up the good work!
squirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #878
Pedrogomezrios
Quiet

Oddometer: 27
Hey, you are having a lot fun there. Have a nice ride, by the way, my son Daniel has a dream now, it is to make a trip like yours. You are a bad influence :)
@PedroGomezRios
Pedrogomezrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #879
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Amazing photos and a great RR.

The weather Gods were smiling on you the day you got to Macchu Picchu.
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #880
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 707
Bryce,

I've been following your rr since Scott clued me in on it and I have to say that it's truly amazing! Those pics- WOW!!
Also, I have it on good authority from another cuy eating local here who was down there somewhere this last year that you should stay away from the home brew booze with a scorpion in it. (think space gravy)

Looking forward to more and thank you sir.
Dan.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #881
Cosmocanuck
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Donated to your trip as you are doing an awesome RR and general information, which helps during the long winter in the frozen North! Cheers!!
Cosmocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #882
Nukem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Talking

Bryce my man, you have given me hours of enjoyment by sharing your adventure. Thank you. Keep safe and experience all that you can. Made a donation to keep the adventure going and to keep me entertained by your posts.
Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #883
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Return to Cusco

Day 99 (January 22, 2013)
Santa Theressa, Peru to Cusco, Peru
Day's Ride: 145 Miles

We got on the train this morning at 6:30 AM and rode back to Hidrolectrica where we took a "collectiva" (minibus group taxi) back to Santa Theressa and picked up our bikes from the Hostel. Angel, the owner, was a cool guy and he wanted a picture with us before we left, so I obliged.

The road out was significantly more wet and muddy than it had been on the way in, and my tires were sliding all over the place.

The conditions made for great pictures and it was a treat to get to ride that amazing road again.

Coming back up towards the pass, the weather remained relatively overcast; however, there was little to no rain and fog was significantly less intense than it had been on the way in.

The run off from the previous night's storm was raging in the creeks and rivers. In several spots it appeared that the engineers who had constructed the road had decided to forgo culverts or bridges and just make small concrete fordsl adding a little bit of extra fun to an already amazing road.

As the road neared the top of the pass, the clouds began to part enough to allow visions of the glacier clad mountains surrounding the pass.

I stopped to get some close ups of the glaciers.....

A little bit below the top of the pass I came across a minibus full of tourists on mountain bikes who were preparing to descend the pass with a guide.

I stopped and chatted with the minibus driver. He asked me a bunch of questions about my bike and told me that he had an XR400. We conversed for a while and he asked me if I was from Argentina. I laughed and told him that I was a gringo from the states. This is actually the third time this has happened. Apparently my Spanish is either so good or my accent so strange, that I'm being mistaken for an Argentinian. I've also been mistaken for a Brazilian once, go figure. While we were talking, I got a good picture of the bike with the mountains in the background

Mike showed up a few minutes later and we got some more pictures.

We continued on up to the top of the pass and were in for a real treat: snow!

As I approached the top, I noticed two girls who had stationed themselves alongside the road. As I approached they began hurling snowballs at me; I made a quick U-turn and went back to stand beneath their withering hale of fire for the sake of photography. As I was snapping pictures, one of their projectiles hit me right in the head. I suppose it was a good thing I was wearing a helmet!

I soon left the snow and decended down some amazing switchbacks. Just look at all of these turns:

After descending a few thousand feet through cloud forest and past Incan ruins on a beautiful road, I arrived in Ollantaytambo and stopped for lunch in the town square.

I ate a couple of ham sandwichs and had a few cups of coffee before Mike showed up and we got ready to leave. Before I got on my bike I considered all of the rough riding that I had done over the past few days and decided to give it a quick look-over to make sure nothing had broken. Unfortunately my instincts proved correct and I found that the bolt that holds the muffler to the frame had loosened up and fell out. It seems like I can't go more than a few days without some minor bike problem popping up. I guess that's what I get for pushing the bike to the limit every day.

I busted out my tools and found that I didn't have any extra bolts that were long enough to replace the missing one. I resorted to the MacGyver solution and just bound it back together with a few zip ties and some bailing wire.

I flew down the Sacred Valley and covered the remaining miles to Cusco quickly. I parked my bike at the hostel and immediately took a taxi to the hardware store and found a new bolt to hold the exhaust together. With that minor emergency taken care of, I stripped off the side panels and luggage and gave the bike a thorough examination for any other problems that may have developed while I was riding like a hooligan in the dirt.

Fortunately, everything else seemed to be okay. I'm very surprised that the subframe hasn't cracked yet. With the amount of weight I'm carrying and the way I ride on dirt roads and trails, I should have broken that thing a long time ago.

For dinner, I went out and had a plate of "La Causa" (The Cause). A Peruvian told me that this dish originates from back in the day when Chile and Peru were at war. The Peruvian government was too poor to buy bullets for it's soldiers, so the women of Lima would make this dish and then go out in the streets and sell it to help raise money to buy bullets for their men. This was "The Cause" that the dish takes it's name for. It's quite tasty and only costs 3 Soles ($1.50) a plate.

That's it for today. It was a solid, if somewhat muddy, day of riding. Tomorrow I'm going to start heading towards Lake Titicaca and then on to Bolivia. The Death Road and the Salar de Uny aren't far off now...

Ulyses screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 07:02 PM
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #884
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrogomezrios View Post
Hey, you are having a lot fun there. Have a nice ride, by the way, my son Daniel has a dream now, it is to make a trip like yours. You are a bad influence :)
Haha! Thanks! It was good meeting you in Medellin! When Daniel does this trip, you should go with him!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #885
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
Bryce,

I've been following your rr since Scott clued me in on it and I have to say that it's truly amazing! Those pics- WOW!!
Also, I have it on good authority from another cuy eating local here who was down there somewhere this last year that you should stay away from the home brew booze with a scorpion in it. (think space gravy)

Looking forward to more and thank you sir.
Dan.
Hmmm...home brew with a Scorpion?! Sounds exciting! Where do you live in Hermiston?