Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #1096
Romanousky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post

I would say the borders are hit or miss. I spent 6 hours at the Mexico-Guatemala border, but that was because we had the wrong stamps in our passport. I mangaged to sneak through, but my buddy Justin couldn't get through and had to pay the Mexicans a "fine" before they would fix his passport. Conversly, it only took me about a half hour to get from Guatemala to Honduras.
Still enjoying the report Bryce! We just made it through the Mex-Guat border in under 2 hours. i supposed the Guat-Hond will now take us 6 or so. Looks like a beautiful place to be dude. Enjoy!
Romanousky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #1097
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
so close

I can't believe you're only 3 to 4 days away from reaching Ushuaia!
What a journey! Curious to know what your odometer for the trip is at now.
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #1098
jfink
Can't get there from here

Oddometer: 108
Quote:

I stopped in El Bolson for lunch and was immediately aware of the high concentration of bare footed, poncho wearing hippies that were wondering about. Sorry diegoteck, I didn't stay to learn more about El Bolson; I've heard rumors, but Ruta 40 called!

I recognize the counter, we had lunch there with the guy that wielded up my crash bar. I had a similar sandwich. Just north between Bariloche and El Bolson is where I hit the bus.

2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Goldwing

The End of the World at the End of the World
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #1099
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
...I got up at first light (around 7:00 AM) and went out to do a little valve check before I got started for the day.

This was the first time that I had done it unsupervised; however, it seemed pretty straight forward so I wasn't too worried. I'm hoping that this was the "T" that indicates TDC; if I'm wrong, I'm sure one of you will correct me:

In any event, the left intake valve was a little tight, so I loosened it up. Everything else seemed good. I don't have a .12mm feeler gauge to check the exhaust valves, so I just combined the .07mm and .05mm gauges. Hope that's up to spec...
Yes, that's TDC, Bryce. You're making me proud of you! Combining the .07mm and .05mm feeler gauges is okay. You're better off to be a little loose on the valve lash, rather than a little tight. You're doing a good job with maintenance. Keep up the good work, and your XR650L will treat your well for the rest of your trip.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #1100
rasjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Generally speaking, what denominations of USD are easiest to exchange in CA and SA? Would prefer to travel with 100s but don't want to be shut down when changing to local currencies. You insights are really appreciated!
rasjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #1101
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Bryce,

I just posted this video on the XRL Owners Sign In thread. This video gives a nice demonstration on how to adjust the valve lash on an XL600R, which is very similar to your XR650L. Just substitute the different specifications for the valve lash.

Intake: 0.10mm
Exhaust: 0.12mm

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #1102
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Hey, if you need anything in Rio Gallegos, just let me know

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #1103
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 864
What is stopping you from putting the photos on your computer? Can't you just pull the card out or connect the camera to the computer and pull the photos off from the card through the camera?
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #1104
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
What is stopping you from putting the photos on your computer? Can't you just pull the card out or connect the camera to the computer and pull the photos off from the card through the camera?
Hey, Ulyses, what kind of camera do you have? I purchased a digital camera in Japan, and the Japanese language interface is turned on (or off) on the first menu screen (then change to another language). Shoot me a screen shot with your iPhone--maybe I can help.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #1105
diegoteck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
You were right about the Germans; I think I saw about 20 German resteraunts in Bariloche. I ate at a place called "Der Tiroler".

So what's the story with El Bolson? Other than being a hippie paridise and "non-nuclear" zone, is there some history that I'm missing? It really reminded me of Portlandia (Oregon) actually.

Also, can you fill me in on why Matte is so popular? These are some burning questions!
As all history it could be long and boring but el Bolson has a couple of very interesting facts, it was first settle around 1620 but things get interesting by the beginning of the 1900's when Europeans were hired as skilled labor to build the infrastructure of the city, around the same time Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were buying 15,000 acres at el Bolson after their scape form the States.
In the 60' a huge hippie movement settle there looking for whatever hippies look for, and it seems they found it, El Bolson was the first city economically self sustainable in the country. As you see, the hippies never left.
About the "Mate" it was originally a drink from the native tribes in the area,the gauchos and the Spanish conquistadores like it too and it survived as a staple of the culture.
There are many variations, some people like it with sugar, lemon, orange, coffee, milk, you name it.
You can find "mate" in Argentina, Paraguay, south Brasil and Uruguay, if you think Argentinos are crazy about "mate" Uruguayos are totally nuts!! I've seen them drinking "mate" while riding on a bicycle.
There is no reason, you just drink it as a kid when your parents "ceban" and you grow to love it.
In my case, I'm not crazy about it, I'm married to a Peruvian and I'm too lazy to prepare the "mate", but my brother and sister, also living in UT, married to Argentinians drink "mate" everyday.

diegoteck screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:01 PM
diegoteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #1106
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoteck View Post
... if you think Argentinos are crazy about "mate" Uruguayos are totally nuts!! ....
Mate is interesting, dude. If you don't grow up with it, it tastes so weird to begin with, but it grows on you, and the next thing you know, it's addictive, and you've got to have it especially before every meal. I still have the bowl, filter straw, and thermos I brought back from Uruguay some 35 years ago. Brought back a yellow bag of yerba mate (canarias?) but when that ran out I was s.o.l. (jodido) as it wasn't around here anywhere I looked. It's been available here since the last few years and they still make the yellow bag - it looks almost the same. I don't drink it much now, y a mi esposa Ecuatoriana no le gusta, plus we have good coffee. Bryce, I guess you haven't tried it yet but be careful about getting your own rig, it can be addictive! It is nice to relax with...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #1107
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
Hey, if you need anything in Rio Gallegos, just let me know
Awesome! Want to grab a beer?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #1108
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Sure! No one can't refuse a beer

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #1109
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 227
Bryce, Wow! Layin' th rubber down today. Not much farther now. Keep on and be safe.
Dave
Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #1110
CleanWatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
Sure! No one can't refuse a beer
Hey Manolito,

Gonna be rolling into Rio Gallegos tomorrow as well, would you happen to have any recommendations for hostels in town?
CleanWatt is offline   Reply With Quote