Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #1396
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885

I just had a good laugh reading all of the comments...nice to see that everyone is concerned for me! I just got out of El Chalten. I've been doing some hiking for the past couple of days and there hasn't been any good internet access.

And, yes, it is my birthday. To celebrate, I splurged and got a proper hotel room. I'm currently eating anchovies and cheese and a drinking a can of Brahama beer. I'm seriously considering going to a Parilla tonight and getting some asado. As there isn't much to do in this town, I'll probably post up some reports and postpone the party until I get somewhere like BA or perhaps Oregon.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #1397
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
"I'm seriously considering going to a Parilla tonight and getting some asado."

So, is that what they're calling it these days?

Happy Birthday
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #1398
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Bryce, All that commotion you're hearing is because the new Pope is an Argentinian! They should be rockin' the house everywhere tonight!

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #1399
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Happy Birthday, Bryce!
some call me...tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #1400
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290

Happy birthday again, this time on your actual birthday Bryce!

But then, how could it not be? A birthday as part of a sojourn you'll have fond memories of all your days.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #1401
dirtydaug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Asado

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Asado on an open pit.

Asado (Spanish: [aˈsađo], Brazilian Portuguese: [aˈsadu]) is a term used both for a range of barbecue techniques and the social event of having or attending a barbecue[1] in Argentina (where it is considered the national dish),[2] Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, the Philippines, and Uruguay. In these countries, asado is a traditional dish and also the standard word for "barbecue". An asado usually consists of beef alongside various other meats, which are cooked on a grill, called a parrilla, or an open fire.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #1402
Pedrogomezrios
Quiet

Oddometer: 27
Happy birthday Ulyses, And thank you for came to Medellín, you planted a seed in my son's head And it germinated in mine... So, we are planning a RTW trip for the next year ......
@PedroGomezRios
Pedrogomezrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #1403
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

The "Glaciar"

Day 145 (March 10, 2013)
El Calafate, Argentina to El Chalten, Argentina
Day's Ride: 230 Miles

After rousting myself out of my sleeping bag, the Quebecoux couple that I had been camping next to invited me over to share their table with them for breakfast. After some talking for a while, they invited me to ride with them and two other riders out to see the Perrito Moreno glacier. It's nice to have a little company sometimes, so I said yes. (By the way, the above map isn't totally accurate; it's missing the portion from El Calafate to the glacier. Unfortunately, the internet is barely functioning here tonight.)

The entrance to the National Park which contains the glacier is a little under 50 miles west of El Calafate. We arrived at the gate and paid the entrance fee (120 Pesos apiece) then made the final drive for the glacier. As we were going along, we had an amazing view of a rainbow.

We finally made it to a little parking lot where we had to leave our bikes before taking a small shuttle bus to the actual glacier overlook. As soon as I stepped out of the trees and saw the glacier for the first time, I was stunned.

Glaciar Grey in Torres del Paine was huge, but this was huge and very, very close! Though not as wide as Glaciar Grey also seemed that the snout of Glaciar Perrito Moreno was significantly taller.

Also, despite the cloudy weather, you could see the ice field stretching far into the distance behind the glacier.

I was about to have one of the Canadians take a picture of me in front of the glacier when a huge slab calved off right behind me. I snatched my camera out of their hands and was able to get a picture of the huge splash made by the ice.

And then I got my picture....

After hanging out by the glacier for a while, I said goodbye to the Canadians and hit the road for El Chalten where I was supposed to meet Dylan later that afternoon.

As has become the norm, the wind was out of control. I stopped to get a picture of one of the typical "wind advisory" signs that are all over the place down here.

I'm still confused as to why they would put a picture of a palm tree on sign that's used in Patagonia.

The road north to El Chalten passed by some large glacial lakes. The glacial sediment gives the water a distinct grey green color that's hard to catch in pictures:

I reached the turn off for El Chalten around 4:00 PM and found this:

Dylan's smoking ass trying to light a cigarette out of the wind in the lee of this road sign. Even with the shelter from the sign, the wind was so strong that it took him a few minutes to light his cig. His mission to Punta Arenas had been a success and he had just left there this morning. After he had finished his cancer stick we hit the road.

Just outside of El Chalten, we met the most hardcore overlander that I've come across so far:

That's right, a unicycle. I think it's pretty hard to top that in terms of badassness. This girl was from France and had started in Ushuaia and was riding north all the way to Santiago. Sometimes I think we are pretty tough for doing this trip on motos; however, when I see someone like this, I have to admit that we aren't quite as tough as we would like to think.

We made it to El Chalten a few minutes later, found a campsite, and prepared to start hiking again the next day.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #1404
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrogomezrios View Post
Happy birthday Ulyses, And thank you for came to Medellín, you planted a seed in my son's head And it germinated in mine... So, we are planning a RTW trip for the next year ......

Yeah! I'm glad I could be a positive influence! I miss Colombia; you guys were awesome! What kind of bike is Daniel going to ride?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #1405
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabc View Post
"I'm seriously considering going to a Parilla tonight and getting some asado."

So, is that what they're calling it these days?

Happy Birthday
When you put it like that, it does sound kind of bad, doesn't it?!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #1406
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
I'm not. He is more than capable. Plus his spot tracker is moving around.
Either that, or whatever ate him is moving around...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #1407
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Awesome
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #1408
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601

Now that's hardcore (and crazy)!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #1409
! Danimal !
--Dan--

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
Awesome
! Danimal ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #1410
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Hike to Lago Torre

Day 146 (March 11, 2013)
El Chalten to Lago Torre
Day's Hike: 11.8 Mies

A quick note before I start: the trail that we hiked is highlighted above in blue.

Dylan and I woke up at the crack of 9:00 AM, cooked a little breakfast, and then set off on a short day hike to the base of Cerro Torre, one of the prolific peaks near El Chalten. We joined up with a group of people that we had met while camping at our hostel the night before.

The weather started out crisp but clear. Some clouds partially obscured the peaks, but we figured that they would burn off after a few hours.

The trail went through some fairly pristine forest and I took advantage of one of the low hanging branches to work on my balance...

As the hike progressed, the weather started moving in and things started getting drizzily. Fortunately, we could still see the glacier at the top of Lago Torre.

After a few hours of hiking and a few minutes of scrambling over a morraine, we arrived at the mirador.

We ate a little lunch in the lee of a large boulder, out of the wind and the spitting rain, then packed up and headed back for town.

Seeing the glacier was nice; however, the weather kind of ruined the views of Cero Torre. We returned to our tents, cooked some dinner, and then planned our hike for the next day.