Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Rev Tiny OP
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
anyone used a swing arm off a pitbike

anyone used a swing arm off a pitbike
they seem cheap and in plentiful amounts come with disc brake but do have a small wheel
just wondering i can get a whole setup for about $40 and seems like a cheap alternative
opinions
and sorry for all the questions just want to get this thing right
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
????

What kind of rig are you building?

Weight, capacity, strength, etc .........

If you are putting a sidecar on a 250 CC bike a pitbike swingarm might work. If it's a road bike or serious off-roader, I think not, but that's just me.

I might be inclined to look at something made to handle at least a 17" or larger tire.....

I used a pit bike swing arm to build a through-axle trailer for my bike which works very well - but it carriers very little load . A sidecar will have more load and lots more side loading .....

I'd go bigger.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
65bellett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Great idea

Hi Revtony I had the same idea of using a Pit bike swing arm on my hack build. There is no end of cheap alloy swing arms different rate shocks disk brakes and fancy looking wheels. I would love to see your build and hear your thoughts on these parts.

My main reservation was that I am not sure how good the quality of Pit bike parts are and the pricing isn't much cheaper than used main stream Jap bike parts that most of us are familiar with. The fact you can order the brand new gear off e-bay is attractive though.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,494
Don't do it! Here's why:
Couple of Xmas's ago, my loud, overbearing, oafish brother-in-law turned up with his kid's Xmas present, a spanking new 125cc Atomic pitbike so the lad could have a ride around (we live on 20 rural acres). About a month before, we'd smashed the piggy-bank to get our daughter a used Yamaha TTR90.
Brother-in-law was loudly proclaiming that he'd spent $800 and got a brand-new 125, whereas we spent $1800 to get a used 90cc.

Problem one on the Atomic is that the swingarm pivot nut is so tight, the arm cannot move at all; loosen that. Find no fuel flows because the cap has no vent: create one, etc, etc.
Well, the two kids start riding around: we have a half-mile driveway, a fire-break trail around the house and various single-tracks into the bush, so no shortage of choice. Our daughter's about 9, nephew about 13 at this stage, but she's had more experience, knows her way around and is leading the way.
About 20 minutes in, the nephew slides off at about 15 mph - and loses a footpeg: not snapped off, but the section of frame it mounted to tore out in a strip about 6" long! The wall-thickness of the tube looked to be under 1 millimetre.
End of riding for the day.

A few days later, I ask the status of the bike: a welder had said there was no way he would try and weld the frame (too thin for purpose) and when he'd put a flame near the torn strip it had vaporised; a replacement frame cost more than a whole new bike...

A few years later, I ask again: nephew had to scratch his head to remember what bike I was talking about, but eventually recalled that it sat outside for a couple of weeks and when he went to "work" on it (to do what exactly, I have no idea!), the entire bike had rusted to buggery and a year or so later, it went out with the hard rubbish collection.

In the interim, he'd taken up archery (since also abandoned); our daughter rode the wheels off her TTR90 for 4 years, not just at our place, but also in family weekends away with us as part of a social trail-riding club: we'd head out for overnight camping trips into the forests and tackle everything from steep snotty climbs to mud, sand and river-crossings. With just basic routine maintenance, the Yamaha never missed a beat but she simply outgrew it, so we sold it for $1600 which went towards her TTR125.

So, 4 years of learning, fun & memories on a Yamaha cost $200; 20 mins on a pitbike cost $800.

I'd say that rather than spend $40 on a cheap Chinese pitbike swingarm, you'd be way better off looking for someone parting out a reputable brand bike. Certainly you'll pay a bit more, but you will have a choice of rear wheel sizes - and a guarantee of quality materials.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Slade 330
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Your right

Hi Preci
yes every thing you say is correct about the quality of pit bikes from China
they are, or were crap.

A swing arm is so easy to make why bother with any old bike swing arm. If you have the skill and are going to build the chassis you may as well make the lot.

BTW I believe the bikes from China will improve and in a few years they will be vying for higher quality customers, the world bike market better not dismiss the rise of China as a real player.
Slade 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,494