Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
montanaman OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
My Zumo 665 is cutting out

I've had my 665 for 2 years on my 800GS and its been pretty dependable. I've had a few blown fuses ( hardwired to the powerlet/battery tender plug.) but lately it has been cutting out and turning itself off ? I have to hit the power button and it starts up and re-boots so its not the wiring ( I think) . I tried cleaning the connection points with a pencil eraser ( tip I found on-line and cleaned it with a moist towlette but it does not seem to be helping. Could the mount be bad?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
I've had my 665 for 2 years on my 800GS and its been pretty dependable. I've had a few blown fuses ( hardwired to the powerlet/battery tender plug.) but lately it has been cutting out and turning itself off ? I have to hit the power button and it starts up and re-boots so its not the wiring ( I think) . I tried cleaning the connection points with a pencil eraser ( tip I found on-line and cleaned it with a moist towlette but it does not seem to be helping. Could the mount be bad?
Double check the connection to the electrical system. I had a similar problem with my Zumo 660, it turned out to be a bad crimp connection at the fuse block.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
montanaman OP
Traveler

Thanks for the tip

Ya .. your probably right. I was hoping to not have to take that all apart but looks like this the next step.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
If you do take it apart, clean the connections and put dielectric grease anywhere you can find an electrical connection.

I don't know about the Zumo, but I have to do this twice on my 60cx in the past 5 years.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
CCW247
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I experienced exactly the same issue with my Zumo. Over several weeks it got worse, and would shut off when I needed it most. I mailed it to Garmin and they sent me a refurbished unit which has been trouble free. My experience with their customer service was fantastic.
CCW247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,029
I don't think it's the connections. This is typical of Garmin's crap OS. I've had more than one GPS that acts that way. Pull the battery and wait 30 sec, then put it back in. That MIGHT fix it since it's a hard-reset. Otherwise, plug it into your computer at home and do a check to see if it needs any updated software. That might help too.

I wish there was something better than the 660/665 out there. I HATE mine with a passion, but it's the best thing available.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
I wouldn't rule out the GPS but, if you've blown fuses in the past you have a much bigger issue. I would suspect the Mount and/or it's wiring before the GPS. The GPS is designed to shutdown if it sees a surge in power. You might also make sure that your zumo's battery is seated well.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I wouldn't rule out the GPS but, if you've blown fuses in the past you have a much bigger issue. I would suspect the Mount and/or it's wiring before the GPS. The GPS is designed to shutdown if it sees a surge in power. You might also make sure that your zumo's battery is seated well.
I forgot to comment on the fuse issue. Mine was doing this recently on my DR650, as well as giving me some very strange errors -- "the USB cable is connected to the wrong port," which would come up about every ten seconds. Very annoying.

In this case, it turned out I had kinked and damaged the cable for the GPS mount. I discovered it on Saturday while rewiring the HID headlight. I had the whole thing out to put a low-beam-only kit in since there wasn't enough room for the two ballasts in the low/high kit. So with it all out, I saw the break in the line. I cut the bad chunk out, and there were about fifteen little wires in there. I traced out the +/- leads for power and soldered those back together and said to hell with the others, since I never have used any of the other features of the mount like headline connection or XM radio.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
montanaman OP
Traveler

thanks all.

so it peeled off the connections ( 3 of them) that wires the Zumo to the battery tender pig tail. They are all connected fine. I did not clean them ..but re-stripped and put them back together. The connections seem fine. I rode for 10 minutes and sure as S&*T it shut down again. I have to hit the power up button and it starts right up. I think the unit is now faulty and I am going to have to try and get relief from garmin. I have blown a fuse in the past but cant say why. Its a BMW F800GS and I deliberatly went around the canbus system and wired it directly to the battery using the battery tender plug so I can disconnect when not in use. It has worked for the most part but now.. not so much. I have run the GPS off the bike and it does not shut down.... So I am back to thinking its the cradle and the connection points on the rear of the GPS and I want a garmin fairy to show up and fix my 900 dollar GPS. I like things that work. Regularly.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
ADVer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Reinstall the Zumo 550 software.
I had simile issues that seem to have been resolved by doing this.