User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
SFMCjohn OP

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip77 View Post
Thankyou John. Death Valley dirt is now on my LIST.
Hi chip77,

People we saw back off the pavement were suprised to see your old bikes, but they really worked pretty well on the graded dirt ... llots of fun, and you get away from most of the traffic ...

see you on the road,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
SFMCjohn OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Thank you for sharing.

Cool pic's , I really dig that Tiger of yours.

For reference my '74 US spec' Bonnie got 120 before reserve.
Have fun.
Hi FR700,
Thanks for posting! Looks like the extra carb on your Bonnie winds up using a bit more gas ... I could have used an extra carb on some of the long, straight highways our in the high desert ...
see you out there,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
SFMCjohn OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt View Post
Lon sure looks like the old man...only twice as big. That bike has passed me like I was sitting still on the right hand shoulder more than once with the old man piloting.

Max was a character. Lots of good times and cheap boxed wine with MB.

JH
Hi Hiatt,

Lon does look like a big version of his father ... Lon handed out red wine at our banquet in rememberance of the "dago red" his dad liked to drink ... we were sorry we didn't get to ride with Max more ... sounds like you guys had some great times ...
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
SFMCjohn OP

Saturday morning we headed off to Beatty to take a look at Titus Canyon ... we'd had a couple of guys intrested in joining us talking about the attempt on Friday night at the bar, but in the end it was just the Indian and the Tiger ...

Beatty was having its Pioneer Days event, with a parade and a fair ... we got caught up in the parade, which gave Kalle a chance to fiddle with and lube his spark advance, which had been getting sticky ... making the bike hard to start ...

2012-10-27_10-18-29_875

The parade was a lot of fun, with the Shriners and politicians throwing candy to the kids along the route to help celebrate Halloween ... fun.

We gassed up, loaded up on water, checked our spare tubes and headed out to Death Valley to find the right hand turn into the long road through the alluvial fan that lead up and over the pass before plunging down into the slot canyon that is Titus Canyon ...

DSCN9719

Kalle riding the Chief up to the pass ...

2012-10-27_11-42-19_577

Some of the views at the top off the pass ... we made it! Now down into Titus Canyon ... the road up had been hard packed, if a bit wash-boardy ... my swingarm rear suspension seemed to work a bit better than the plunger style on the '48 Chief, but both bikes were having no problem so far ...

2012-10-27_12-28-05_915

2012-10-27_12-29-21_338

2012-10-27_12-37-08_354

Riding down into the slot canyon ... it turned out that all the deep, loose gravel and sand we had feared had been nicely packed down ... we found no loose stuff, only a hard-packed road ... we suspect that the Park Service spends a lot of effort keeping the road open, and that the use it gets from folks helps keep it packed down ... of couse a single storm or gully washer can change that in an instant, be we got lucky both with the weather andthe great condition of the road ...

2012-10-27_13-04-39_220

DSCN9718

DSCN9695

In the end it was an easy ride for the old bikes ... we did an 80 mile loop back to Beatty for more gas, which took us about three or four hours, including a lot of time for stopping and checking out Titus Canyon ... on the old bikes we went slowly, and really enjoyed the desert mountain environment ...

Lots of fun on the old bikes, and no handlebars on the ground ...
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
SFMCjohn OP

We took a couple of days to ride home, making it from the Amergosa Valley to Groveland, and then from Groveland back to Lower Haight ...

2012-10-29_08-53-41_789 by San Francisco Motorcycle Club, on Flickr

DSCN9635 by San Francisco Motorcycle Club, on Flickr

2012-10-28_13-33-07_775 by San Francisco Motorcycle Club, on Flickr

The Chief popped a couple of fuses on the way home, one maybe from the 6 volt horn on the 12 volt system (Kalle had the Indian re-wound for 12 volts during his build up from the basket-case) and one maybe from a burnt out tail light ... he'd replaced the points before the ride, and the bike always ran well, but went from a one-kick starter to a ten-kick starter, much to the amusment of myself and other Death Valley Rally riders ... ha.

2012-10-28_15-34-14_733 by San Francisco Motorcycle Club, on Flickr

Mono Lake on the way over Tioga Pass ...

2012-10-28_15-55-32_450 by San Francisco Motorcycle Club, on Flickr

2012-10-28_16-42-37_436 by San Francisco Motorcycle Club, on Flickr

So, in the end my battery tested at 12.3 to 12.5 every evening ... didn't need to use either of the two sealed batteries I'd lugged over the 1500 miles or so we covered on this trip ... I took the battery out and trickle charged it up to 12.9 every evening, but probably didn't need to do that if I didn't use the headlight during the day (which I didn't do ... use the headlight, that is ...) Kalle's bike was hard to start, but always did start, and ran well once started ... both bikes did not have much power at 9000 feet over Tioga Pass ...

DSCN9722 by San Francisco Motorcycle Club, on Flickr

DSCN9724 by San Francisco Motorcycle Club, on Flickr

Watching the Giants win the World Series in Groveland at the Iron Door ...

My bike will enjoy an oil change and then, hopefully, make the All British Ride up in Novato in a couple of weeks ... then I'll try to figgure out the issue with the charging system ... because we like to ride these bikes on multi-day vintage rides I'd really like to be able to use the headlight during the day, and for when getting caught out after dark ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 11-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

-- SFMCjohn
Yikes! Gas is around $3.40 in our neck of the woods. On the other hand the scenery is not nearly as nice, unless you like flat, straight roads and lots of water.

Thanks for posting this in Old's Cool and not the Ride Reports forum, I probably would have missed it. That Triumph is a beauty; my old Tiger is the only bike I genuinely regret selling.

Looking forward to your next trip!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
SFMCjohn OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zataomm View Post
Yikes! Gas is around $3.40 in our neck of the woods. On the other hand the scenery is not nearly as nice, unless you like flat, straight roads and lots of water.

Thanks for posting this in Old's Cool and not the Ride Reports forum, I probably would have missed it. That Triumph is a beauty; my old Tiger is the only bike I genuinely regret selling.

Looking forward to your next trip!

Hi zataomm,

Crazy gas prices in Death Valley ... we're at about $4/gallon here in San Francisco now ...

I usually post in our area ADV thread, the Bay Area Adventure Rider's Club in the West Regional Forum, but that's a thread on the decline after the OP moved on to a different hobby ... the old bike ride reports just seem to fit better here in Old's Cool ...

I love my Tiger, too ... hopefully I can get the charging system figgured out over the winter!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 11:44 AM
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,361
Thanks for posting those brilliant photos, I don't stop along the way like I used to, gotta stop & smell the roses again!
By the way, if I ever manage to make it to the states, would ya mind if an old XS650 rider tagged along with you blokes for a ride around that bit of country,
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #24
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,948
[QUOTE=SFMCjohn;19933897]

I seem to recognize those hands. Weren't you at the CJMC meeting? Great to see some real adventurers!

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
SFMCjohn OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Thanks for posting those brilliant photos, I don't stop along the way like I used to, gotta stop & smell the roses again!
By the way, if I ever manage to make it to the states, would ya mind if an old XS650 rider tagged along with you blokes for a ride around that bit of country,
Cheers
Baza
Hey Baza,

Thanks for reading and posting!

XS650s rock, I love to look at the adventure rides you guys do on those ol' bikes in Australia ... would love to go for a ride sometime, either in California or Australia ... wouldn't that be fun?

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
SFMCjohn OP

[QUOTE=vtwin;20022916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

I seem to recognize those hands. Weren't you at the CJMC meeting? Great to see some real adventurers!
Hey vtwin,

Not my hands, but my buddy "Let's Ride" Pete ... he's a great guy and rider and his Let's Ride! tats always make me smile ...

see you in the parking lot,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #27
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I just saw this thread, great job taking those old bikes out. I just got a 73 Tiger this spring and spent the summer sorting it out. Looks just like yours! The last month I've been riding mine a lot, and I think I could now ride it anyplace I want without changing anything. Regarding your charging problem, I finally gave up on my stock Zener diode and separate rectifier and went to the Podtronics rectifier regulator. I would recommend it.
Garbln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #28
Ironhead
But Itsa Dry Heat

Oddometer: 769
I saw that bunch of bikes in Beatty at the park.
The Vindian really got my attention, I would be interested in the story on that one.

" Lord grant me patience, because if you grant me strength, I'll need bail money and a lawyer to go along with it"
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
SFMCjohn OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbln View Post
I just saw this thread, great job taking those old bikes out. I just got a 73 Tiger this spring and spent the summer sorting it out. Looks just like yours! The last month I've been riding mine a lot, and I think I could now ride it anyplace I want without changing anything. Regarding your charging problem, I finally gave up on my stock Zener diode and separate rectifier and went to the Podtronics rectifier regulator. I would recommend it.
Hi Garbln,

Congrats on the Tiger! Love mine ... I've owned it for maybe eight years now ... Got it so I could go on the organized vintage rides we have here in California, usually two or three days and 500 to 900 miles ... lots of fun ...

I'll probably try the Podtronics on your recommendation, I'd love to finally wrestle my charging/ignition systems to the ground ... ha. I came up in motorcycle in the '80s and this is my first vintage bike, so I'm learning a lot ...

I'd love to find a '73 500 to set up for dual-sport and Baja someday ...

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #30
SFMCjohn OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
I saw that bunch of bikes in Beatty at the park.
The Vindian really got my attention, I would be interested in the story on that one.
Hi Ironhead,

What Dennis Magri tells me is that Indian actually went so far as to construct a single prototype Vindian at the factory in the '50s as they were struggling to update their model line ... Dennis built the bike in the photos from his famous parts pile, and the finished bike works very well, cruising easily at 80 mph ...

See you in the parking lot,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500