ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Any interesting backroads in NC?

Hello!
I tried to find the appropriate place to post this however if this the wrong place I am terribly sorry! I am a noob to riding, took the msf course and passed (woohoo!) Last Sunday, however it seems I am having trouble locating good backroads in/around my area, or maybe roads leading to some pretty scenery and such, I want to stick to back roads until I am more comfortable around lots o' cars. Any suggestions for good back roads in/around Vale areas? (NC)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Really!?

OK, I'll try to be helpful, but I must say first that I am incredibly jealous of your location for driving country roads. Vale looks to be a great location for riding. I would have thought that 10 and 18 both made good back roads. Very few have No traffic. Build up your confidence in your neighborhood, but eventually you have to move out to build up experience.

Enjoy the experience.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldburg View Post
OK, I'll try to be helpful, but I must say first that I am incredibly jealous of your location for driving country roads. Vale looks to be a great location for riding. I would have thought that 10 and 18 both made good back roads. Very few have No traffic. Build up your confidence in your neighborhood, but eventually you have to move out to build up experience.

Enjoy the experience.
I went down some back road yesterday with my boyfriend and was around cars, im not exactly looking for "no cars" just less than the main street in my area lol I was rear ended at a red light by a texting teenager so i'm probably not heading out that way any time soon. Just wanting some ideas because I haven't lived here long and haven't really explored the back roads in my car so im a little clueless. :

Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 584
backroad help

I live about 30 miles southeast of you and do a lot of riding in your area. there are lots of riding all around your area. I am retired and would be glad to meet up and show you around sometime if it would help you learn the area. you can just drop me a private message if you want.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:17 AM   #5
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 711
Small world, I am in Vale too. Sounds like some good offers and comments so far and we are blessed to live in our foothills and farm road heaven for riding.

Anyways, welcome to riding and pm me as well if I can be of help. You can stay away from our "Main Street traffic" and make some great loops using local farm roads from Morganton, Cherryville, South Mountain, old 18/10, 226/221, etc., and they offer some very technical sections with almost no traffic that allows you to take your time practicing being smooth as you add miles practicing your skills with minimal distractions. Ride your own Ride.

Congrats and show a photo of you guys and your bikes on some rides when you get a chance.

bobw screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 05:33 AM
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Small world, I am in Vale too. Sounds like some good offers and comments so far and we are blessed to live in our foothills and farm road heaven for riding.

Anyways, welcome to riding and pm me as well if I can be of help. You can stay away from our "Main Street traffic" and make some great loops using local farm roads from Morganton, Cherryville, South Mountain, old 18/10, 226/221, etc., and they offer some very technical sections with almost no traffic that allows you to take your time practicing being smooth as you add miles practicing your skills with minimal distractions. Ride your own Ride.

Congrats and show a photo of you guys and your bikes on some rides when you get a chance.
Im hoping to get to ride again today or soon, I wanted a picture from my first actual on road ride (I'm sentimental, : ) but didn't get one, so perhaps ride 2 will prove more successful. :)

Let's hope it actually won't be a snowy mix tomorrow! It's my day off!!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I make it to WNC as often as possible to enjoy the roads out that way, truly awesome country. I don't have any specific recommendations other than to just enjoy the riding for what it is and go exploring.

The best way to learn now is simply to put miles under your belt. Bring a buddy for support/backup and you'll be fine.

Post up some pics when you get a chance. Weather tomorrow does look a little yuck with the snow to rain forecast though.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 6,614
This is the one I am looking at now!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=692271&page=9
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
The best way to learn now is simply to put miles under your belt. Bring a buddy for support/backup and you'll be fine.
THIS! This is what I agree to, however boyfriend has more responsibility therefore he is busy quite often lately and I am a little iffy going out alone since I am so new to all this. ghead: lol perhaps he will feel adventurous today.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
parallaxbill
Old dude, new rider.

Oddometer: 101
My son and I ride south of your area often, usually around Albemarle, Uhwarrie, Troy, Oakboro and more. We also do our off road riding down in the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge on over 100 miles of roads on 46,000 acres. Unfortunately most of the gravel roads are mixed in with some sections of unpredictable sand, some of it deep and hard to ride even for the experienced rider on a heavier dual sport type of bike.

NC has great roads for motorcycles and it is easy to avoid the heavy traffic areas. I'm near Monroe.
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
My son and I ride south of your area often, usually around Albemarle, Uhwarrie, Troy, Oakboro and more. We also do our off road riding down in the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge on over 100 miles of roads on 46,000 acres. Unfortunately most of the gravel roads are mixed in with some sections of unpredictable sand, some of it deep and hard to ride even for the experienced rider on a heavier dual sport type of bike.

NC has great roads for motorcycles and it is easy to avoid the heavy traffic areas. I'm near Monroe.
I'm beginning to think I should just take a back road and explore. I'm not very good at navigation but I am very good at getting lost. :o

Old 03-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 6,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
I'm beginning to think I should just take a back road and explore.

Exactly!
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
parallaxbill
Old dude, new rider.

Oddometer: 101
Getting lost is half the adventure!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
Getting lost is half the adventure!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
Sounds good to me! :cool:

Old 03-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #15
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 711
You can literally ride thousands of miles on back roads around here just by taking a different direction the next time you come to a familiar intersection.

South Mountain Park is close and they have made many improvements there over the last few years. Very nice Ramadas, hiking trails, rest rooms, etc., and the area has numerous full time staff so it makes for a safe place to stop and stretch your legs along the stream or go for a hike.

From Vale take 27 west to the 18 intersection (Red Bone Willy's country store and West End Tractor location), go right and continue on 18 towards Morganton. After you go through the "S" curve where Webb's Peaches, the Apple Market and the gas station are you go to Old 18 ("new" 18 bears right and Old 18 is a straight shot). There is a sign for South Mountain Park at 18/Old 18 and another turning you left off Old 18 onto the road that leads to the park entrance. The actual park road is a "dead end" and when you come back out you could turn right and continue on to 10. A left turn on 10 will allow you to complete a loop back up to new 18 where Spake's Antiques is located. From here you could turn right and be back at Red Bone Willy's or turn left on 18 and then bear right on 10 at the Tack Store and then continue to Cat Square Road and back to Vale (there are signs at 10 and Cat Square Road for the Winery and Christmas Tree Farm and a wide "turn lane" is unique to that intersection too). Within this loop there are dozens of other loops to be made and you would never be more than 20 miles from home as the crow flies.

I am a paper map guy, but there is good reception in most of these areas if you have a map app on a smart phone. Many riders around and very nice farm folks if you need a hand with directions or bike problems.

Stay safe and have fun!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote