Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Oddometer: 146
1987 KTM 250 EXC project

1987 KTM250EXC project:
http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/member...Mixon848,25684

Everything is there. It will get a strip down. Cylinder will be checked. Gear box/Transmission will be checked.

Like seemingly every old KTM the Clutch side cover at the water impeller is corroded (bottom all the way through). That case (not the cover but the case itself) is almost impossible to find, but I have some plans.

Fork leg on the right side needs rechroming. Exhaust pipe needs a huge dent removed.

Rear of the subframe seems like it needs to be bent upward a tad.

Frame will be painted (not powder coated) in the stock color. Engine will be painted in a nice deep gray (the blue the cases are supposed to be will be tossed out the window).

Not many of these still on the trail let alone the track. The technology was way ahead of its time. Dual Disc Brakes, Upside Down Forks, Electronic Ignition (which always failed).

Already friends are trying to get me to have the cylinder bored (265cc) and replated. I don't get how normal men always want MORE power out of any 250cc 2-Stroke from 1985 on. 250cc 2-Strokes have more then enough power unless you are Ricky Carmichael, Chad Reed, James Stewart or Ryan Villopoto. I may have the cylinder ported in time to "focus" the power.
athomerecords25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Question

Cast Iron Sleeve?
Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Cry

Dropped my brand new Piston and broke a piece off of the skirt on the exhaust side, dead center. Looks like it was made like that. If I smooth it out, and run it will it seize the cylinder/melt the piston?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Wink

Clutch is in absolute perfect condition.

It is odd how certain aspects of the bike are completely overlooked and beaten into the ground and then things like the Cylinder, Reeds, Clutch, Brakes (except for a little rust from sitting) are all very very well maintained.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,931
Yeah I have an 86 KX250 I am pulling apart at the moment, and everything in the engine looks great, and every bearing has a healthy amount of clean grease in it, but the rest of the bike is garbage.

It looks like they had a leak at the bottom of the forks so they welded a nut onto them and put a bolt and copper washer in it, front brake line has been replaced with another line, and a banjo fitting has been welded onto it so it will fit.

Those are just two examples, and the actual execution of the jobs was neat and well done, but doing it properly would not have cost a lot to do.

A KDX is way cooler than what ever you ride...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
dhallilama
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by athomerecords25 View Post
Dropped my brand new Piston and broke a piece off of the skirt on the exhaust side, dead center. Looks like it was made like that. If I smooth it out, and run it will it seize the cylinder/melt the piston?

Thanks in advance.
any pics? i'd be really, really hesitant to run it...

Quote:
Clutch is in absolute perfect condition.

It is odd how certain aspects of the bike are completely overlooked and beaten into the ground and then things like the Cylinder, Reeds, Clutch, Brakes (except for a little rust from sitting) are all very very well maintained.
i've acquired a good number of bikes like that. fresh motor, everything else roached... or well maintained suspension but no working back brake and a top end that should have been replaced 100 hours ago. my current Husky project has a nice fresh motor (built by a shop), but they got real creative when it came to maintaining the rest of the bike (assuming they did that themselves).

good times :)
Old 12-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 16,651
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
is it in a spot on the skirt that will mess up port timing?
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #8
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
any pics? i'd be really, really hesitant to run it...

i've acquired a good number of bikes like that. fresh motor, everything else roached... or well maintained suspension but no working back brake and a top end that should have been replaced 100 hours ago. my current Husky project has a nice fresh motor (built by a shop), but they got real creative when it came to maintaining the rest of the bike (assuming they did that themselves).

good times :)
Piston after backyard Modification:

Photo is sideways. My photo editor is giving me issues this morning. The arch is at the bottom of the skirt on the exhaust pipe side.

I only had to file 1/4 inch total. And made sure I sanded everything smooth. I can get another Piston. KTM Pistons aren't cheap, but it is worth it to have a perfect motor after all the work I will be doing. I just have seen tuners (of which I admittedly am not. lol) modify Pistons all the time. So I was just curious if it would be okay. Especially with it being such a tiny bit of material missing.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #9
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Yeah I have an 86 KX250 I am pulling apart at the moment, and everything in the engine looks great, and every bearing has a healthy amount of clean grease in it, but the rest of the bike is garbage.

It looks like they had a leak at the bottom of the forks so they welded a nut onto them and put a bolt and copper washer in it, front brake line has been replaced with another line, and a banjo fitting has been welded onto it so it will fit.

Those are just two examples, and the actual execution of the jobs was neat and well done, but doing it properly would not have cost a lot to do.
A friend had a 1986 Kawasaki KX250 years ago. That bike was so slim and slinder in the mid-section.

I myself have been guilty of some pretty poor rebuilds, mostly because of purchasing used parts off of "Poormanbay". But nothing like you described. Lol.

I really want to do this 1987 KTM250 project correctly. I found and old thread on another site from years ago and I was saying that 2 of my dream bikes to own would be a 1986 KTM125 and a 1987 KTM250. I don't even remember posting it, and now all these year later I actually have the 1987 KTM250.

I love how advanced the KTM's were Digital Ignition (Team Honda Motocross Team started using these in what 1999?), Upside Down Forks (everyone else didn't get there until 1989), Front and Rear Disc Brakes (the rest of the pack besides Kawasaki and Honda didn't arrive there until 1988).

Great bike. The reviews on this bike are freaking amazing. Only complaint was Forks are a little harsh on slow speed stuff. I mean I was blown away by the reviews I read.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Thumb

Ordered the Kick Start Return Spring.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
dhallilama
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Piston after backyard Modification:
me... i'd probably run it. i've trimmed skirts and modified pistons in the past, anyway...
Old 01-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
me... i'd probably run it. i've trimmed skirts and modified pistons in the past, anyway...
Thank you sincerely for your response. Appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #13
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Talking

Frame Paint:
Old 01-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Thumb

Just in case anyone who is restoring an older KTM and is having Ignition/CDI issues and cannot afford a PVL system:

universal innerrotor ignition
http://www.hpi.be/item.php?item=068K199
Old 01-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
athomerecords25 OP
Vintage YZ *****

Exhaust Pipe:

The stock exhaust pipe was riddled with tiny dent and 2 huge crushed dents. I used the FILL THE PIPE WITH WATER AND FREEZE IT METHOD expecting to have the pipe split at the seems and having to purchase a used Dyno Port Pipe from that auction site. "I mean I had heard all of the wise old veterans say don't do it, it will deform or split at the seems".

All but the largest dent fully popped out. The exhaust pipe kept its shape and is in all but that one section looks brand new. I mean every single little tiny dent is completely gone. And the pipe still fits.

I know I shouldn't but I am going to leave the pipe in the freezer about another hour while I run to the Grocery Store. Maybe that last dent will pop out, or maybe it will burst at the seems. An hour will tell.

Note:
The reason I went this route is because most Pipe Repair Companies that charge $60 to repair an exhaust pipe charges more then double that rate if the pipe is 1989 or older. They found a niche and a way to make extra cash. I am so glad that I was able to bypass their double markups.