Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #61
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
I love this thread! It takes me back to my youth. That was too many posts without photos though.
Here's my 199A rescue bike. It's not pretty, but it's pretty effective.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #62
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
The Astro is nice but this bike need two things to be complete in my personal view:

- front brake
- lamps front and rear

a bike without lamps, even a dirt bike doesn't look complete, it's like a face without eyes.
You know the intended purpose of the Astro was dirt track...right?
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #63
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
You know the intended purpose of the Astro was dirt track...right?
Certainly ... you don't need the brakes for dirt track, I know that ...

but when using the bike somewere else you will need them.

And as said for design reasons I like bikes with brakes and with a lamp in front, as older the bike as more lamp you find in the front ...
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #64
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
Certainly ... you don't need the brakes for dirt track, I know that ...

but when using the bike somewere else you will need them.

And as said for design reasons I like bikes with brakes and with a lamp in front, as older the bike as more lamp you find in the front ...
That's why they had the Pursang and Frontera models around the same time ;)

Bultaco was pretty known for building purpose specific bikes. Street (metralla), enduro (matador, frontera), flat track (astro), trials (sherpa), pursang (motocross).
There's a few more odd models but those are the key purpose built bikes. People adapted them different ways like putting preston petty head lights on the pursang and using it for cross country/enduro and stripping down frontera's or matadors and racing moto cross with them.
It was kind of like an early KTM. They have 1000 models all build for super specific needs. A model for every rider.

Side note, the bandido was the American-only pursang. It was reviewed as being too powerful to ever race moto cross so they were often used for flat track (both mine were raced on short track in their time).
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #65
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That's why they had the Pursang and Frontera models around the same time ;)

Bultaco was pretty known for building purpose specific bikes. Street (metralla), enduro (matador, frontera), flat track (astro), trials (sherpa), pursang (motocross).
There's a few more odd models but those are the key purpose built bikes. People adapted them different ways like putting preston petty head lights on the pursang and using it for cross country/enduro and stripping down frontera's or matadors and racing moto cross with them.
It was kind of like an early KTM. They have 1000 models all build for super specific needs. A model for every rider.

Side note, the bandido was the American-only pursang. It was reviewed as being too powerful to ever race moto cross so they were often used for flat track (both mine were raced on short track in their time).
Yes there were other models for these specific purpose but they did not share the same design.

The design of the Astro is unique with the checkered tank this would be a nice street bike too ..., certainly then you need a front brake.

I got my first Bultaco in 1981 a Sherpa, (already posted here in the beginning of this thread), I liked it very much too but it was very recognizeable already back then that the bike deign in technical spec's was old and not competetive against the Fantic's or SWM trials bike. Then the complete bike a little bit too heavy for it's displacement, the wheel base was too long, the ground clearence to low, the front too heavy and the engine to slow in power puic up, the torque was not an issue but the power delivery.

Anyway of all the issues the "relationship" between me as a teenage rider and the bike was good, maybe because I was one of the few that still rode this brand in the beginning eighties I could always find my blue bike in the paddock or when coming back from inspection of the sections.

I switched the brand when turning eighteen and guess what I had much better results in competition ... .

Even when I alredy rode the much more modern bikes -which were far better- I missed the blubbering two stroke sound of the Sherpa and the ridigness as it will go straight and disliked turns compared to the other machines. The Sherpa had due to is slow but torquy acceleration also an extremly good grip on muddy and sandy terrain that ones one of the few benefits it had.

I now own the "newest" of all Sherpas the 199b which is a torque monster and have the best trials geometry of all Bultacos made and too a nice design with the white frame. It still shares most of the issues already mentioned but was a step forward in development. I hope to make a nice trip to the Alpes going up the mountains or ride at the rocky hills in the southern Finnish cost soon. But Summer is still a couple of months away ...
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #66
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
PSchrauber

You summer location in Finland - I usually go to Finland 2X a year. Not too far from where you summer. Hope to be in Hyvinkaa this summer again
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #67
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
PSchrauber

You summer location in Finland - I usually go to Finland 2X a year. Not too far from where you summer. Hope to be in Hyvinkaa this summer again
Hyvinkää is a very nice place, we are "only" around 170km south east on Kemiö Island, I will be there in end of May and hopefully in July.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #68
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
I thought this thread was called "Show Us Your Bul", not Shoot The Bull.
Let's see more photos!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #69
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I thought this thread was called "Show Us Your Bul", not Shoot The Bull.
Let's see more photos!
Some old enduro or ISDT pictures would be nice. Any thing with Pomeroy would be good too.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #70
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
There's a few more odd models but those are the key purpose built bikes..
sherpa s started out as a scrambles bike, and quickly became pretty dirt track specific - the first astros were a combination of pursang and sherpa s to the best of my knowledge.....

nice astro donzzilla - my brother has a few early astros he's gonna be selling off soon - he bought a bunch from a former michigan mafia guy i believe.....i grabbed a tm/ts400 set up for short track from him.

i have very limited experience with flat track - but i know that at night for me the lights really made the corners/depth perception interesting...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #71
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Some old enduro or ISDT pictures would be nice. Any thing with Pomeroy would be good too.
Ask and you shall receive.

Here are my copies two pics that I gave to Jim Pomeroy at the AHRMA annual awards banquet in Florida in March, 2002. I had finished 3rd in Sportsman 500 Novice in motocross for the 2001 season and when I learned that Jm was going to be the guest speaker and award presenter, I dug out these pics that I had taken of him at Daytona in 1974 and made two sets of 8 x 10's made, one for him and one for me. I was thrilled to meet him and he was thrilled with the pics. He told his wife, "Look, Honey, I was in shape and had hair then."

fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #72
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Here is a pic of Jim giving my my 3rd place award for the 2001 season. The second pic is of Jim's brother, Ron, plus Mike Mitrione, of NJ, who finished first in the Sportsman 500 Novice MX season, riding a 1974 Pursang 360 like mine, then Jim and me. This is our "Team Bultaco" pic.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #73
DGW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
My 78 250 Astro
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #74
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

I won first place in class on my 360 Frontera model 143 in the AHRMA Cross Country (hare scrambles) series for the 2005 season. I met Jim again at the awards banquet in March, 2006 and was lucky enough to get this pic. Later I noticed that we both were wearing the same shirts that we had worn for the awards banquet in 2002.

fredz43 screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 09:29 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #75
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

In late July, 2006 I raced my Pursang at Mid Ohio Vintage Days and brought along a few more 1974 photos of Jim, including these and gave them to him. Again, he was thrilled to get these old photos and was his usual friendly, jovial self. I ended up earning another first in class for the 2006 AHRMA cross country series and had been looking forward to another pic with Jim and the awards banquet. Unfortunately, a little over week later, on August 6, 2006 Jim was killed in a Jeep accident.