Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #76
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
One more classic Jim Pomeroy pic. I didn't take this one.

fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #77
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,160
Thanks for sharing your pictures of Americas first Motocross GP champion.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #78
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 423

The only surviving photographic evidence of my old M135 Pursang-based roadracer, circa 1986.

Since then, I've had a Model 4 Matador 200, a Pursang 360, and my current "Bitsaco," being built out of a jumble of parts off Ebay.
Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #79
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I had a 360 Astro, I bought it from a Monterey Area Expert named John Brown. It still had all the original thumbs up bolts, stock pipe, Hurst/Airheart rear brake, brake and shifter were both on the right side.. I never finished a race on that bike, due to my limited mechanical skills at the time. John Brown did real well on it. I think I paid $400 for it, and sold it for $400. Probably worth $3500 now.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #80
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
thanks for sharing your pictures of americas first motocross gp champion.
+1!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #81
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Hey guys i have a chance to buy this bike. Its a 1971 or 1972 MK5 350 Pursang. It sounds like everything is there and all numbers are matching. Problem is the guy wants 1500 firm on it. Is that a good price?

agspecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #82
meijer's trails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
I think 1000 is a normal price. What's your wealth level? Whats an extra 500 initially when your done dropping 5000 into it to redo everything
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #83
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 961
El Bandido

Looks like this is the thread to post a recent aquisition: '68 El Bandido 360
Been garaged for the last 30 years. Should be fun to restore, and eventually ride.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #84
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Been garaged for the last 30 years. Should be fun to restore, and eventually ride.
Great score! I'm jealous. I would love to find a gear-primary Bul!
Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #85
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
I have two of them sitting in my basement. What you have there, is arguably the most valuable Bultaco out there. Even a nice example Metralla can sell less than the Bandidos. Take care with how you restore it. They aren't really worth restoring to ride. It's a track bike, not really a woods bike. If you plan on actually taking it to the track, you'd be better suited with the power band of a Pursang.
They're honestly just collectors bikes or nice little investments. I'm still in the air as to what I'm doing with mine.
The power on that engine is unbelievable. It's the same engine they used in their factory road racers (the TSS), sans the water cooled head.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #86
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Thanks for the info. Thought about upgrading to a modern suspension setup, but quickly discarded that idea in favor of a straight restoration. Too close to original stock and all in one piece. I'll go over the upper end closely to ensure no problems in the piston/cylindar/rings area first and possibly get it running. After that I'll reduce it to bare frame and restore from there. Couldn't believe how light it felt loading it into the truck. I'm sure it will be a blast to ride, even if just up and down the back roads and light trails. I think my track days might be a ways back behind me now.

Picked up a Hodaka Combat Wombat at the same time/place, but the "boys" had tinkered some. The head/cylindar/piston had been removed, but all the parts were foiund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
I have two of them sitting in my basement. What you have there, is arguably the most valuable Bultaco out there. Even a nice example Metralla can sell less than the Bandidos. Take care with how you restore it. They aren't really worth restoring to ride. It's a track bike, not really a woods bike. If you plan on actually taking it to the track, you'd be better suited with the power band of a Pursang.
They're honestly just collectors bikes or nice little investments. I'm still in the air as to what I'm doing with mine.
The power on that engine is unbelievable. It's the same engine they used in their factory road racers (the TSS), sans the water cooled head.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #87
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Thought about upgrading to a modern suspension setup, but quickly discarded that idea in favor of a straight restoration. Too close to original stock and all in one piece. I'll go over the upper end closely to ensure no problems in the piston/cylindar/rings area first and possibly get it running. After that I'll reduce it to bare frame and restore from there. Couldn't believe how light it felt loading it into the truck. I'm sure it will be a blast to ride, even if just up and down the back roads and light trails. I think my track days might be a ways back behind me now.

Picked up a Hodaka Combat Wombat at the same time/place, but the "boys" had tinkered some. The head/cylindar/piston had been removed, but all the parts were foiund.
Good luck! Start a thread and take many many pictures! It's not every day that we get to see the old Buls restored. I have a few of them, so I'd certainly enjoy it.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #88
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
The Bandido is cool, especially made for the U.S. market. The engine was too Bultaco's first big bore. As they had no experience with such a big displacement they changed a lot: primary drive, less gears different kick starter system, ...
Anyway the bike was much more sold in the U.S. the Europeans did not get familiar with the bike. As the demand got down and Bultaco figured out other ways to create big bore bikes the layout of the Bandido did not get any further evolution and was laid down for other designs where improvements where easier to develop.

Early Banditos model 18 1968-69, from 1969 to 1971 the model 51 a 350cc came out. In late 1969 the MK2 a 360cc model 61. In 1971 they upgraded also the 350cc model (nr. 65).
Production went up to 1972.

Production numbers for the Bandido are not given ... You can figure out your model by the first numbers of the frame and engine, both numbers should be the same.

Looking forward to any restoring project to this model, only sold in very very small numbers in Europe.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #89
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Yes, I found a Bultaco model/serial number list online. This is a model 18 by the serial number production number 711.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #90
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Yes, I found a Bultaco model/serial number list online. This is a model 18 by the serial number production number 711.
The engine is powerful with 43,5 - 42,5 hp at 7,500 rpm. The ignition is a special Femsa unit with two plugs, one near the exhaust (warmer unit) and one behind (colder unit).

It's said the power and is more on-off like.

l personal prefer more the slow going Sherpas with much torque.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote