User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
flyinturbo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Scala G9 questions and issues

I picked up 2 sets of the dual Scala G9 BT communicators. Installed one set in my GFs and my helmets last night and went for a ride. (second boxed set is for my folks... haven't installed theirs yet) They work 'as advertised' in that they allow us to chat with each other! Cool! However, My issues are as follows:

1. Audio quality. When listening to music, it's like I'm listening to an old school AM radio.. no highs, no lows (must be bose! haha... audiophile joke). I called and asked about alternative speakers or ear buds.. or, something that makes better noise in my ears! They had nothing for me. In fact, I don't think the guy even understood what I meant by 'audio quality'.

2. Mounting. Why must these damn things mount below the bottom of the helmet? I hacked off part of the rubber bottom liner on two brand new Shoei just to put these damn things on. That doesn't make me pleased at all. Of course Scala doesn't offer a product that mounts to the side of the helmet, making the system flush with the bottom of the helmet.

So, after contacting Scala this morning and speaking to a customer service representative that literally didn't understand my statement/question 'is there a way to get better audio quality' and after speaking to Ed, head of customer service and having him tell me that he was offended that I called their products audio quality 'crap', I think I'll cut my losses and return their crap product to the store and keep looking for a product that at the very least reproduces music adequately. Oh, and according to Ed, there are thousands of these products in over 60 countries world wide... y'all can't all be pleased with the horrible sounding speakers... can you?
flyinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
flyinturbo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
So, does anyone else not like the audio quality of their Scalas? What did you do about it? Are there better products on the market?
flyinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Audio quality

I have G4's and sent JetGrl my 'cradle'...I can now use my Etymotics and/or the stock Scala in-helmet speakers...I'm happy enough...I'm riding...the rest is fluff
My two cents
Cheers
yatman

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804430

yatman screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 08:47 AM Reason: Add thread info
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatman View Post
I have G4's and sent JetGrl my 'cradle'...I can now use my Etymotics and/or the stock Scala in-helmet speakers...I'm happy enough...I'm riding...the rest is fluff
My two cents
Cheers
yatman

Well that fluff does cost you a rather huge sum of money, more then your 2 cents, so you are entitled to some expectations about that gear.
Simplyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinturbo View Post
I picked up 2 sets of the dual Scala G9 BT communicators. Installed one set in my GFs and my helmets last night and went for a ride. (second boxed set is for my folks... haven't installed theirs yet) They work 'as advertised' in that they allow us to chat with each other! Cool! However, My issues are as follows:

1. Audio quality. When listening to music, it's like I'm listening to an old school AM radio.. no highs, no lows (must be bose! haha... audiophile joke). I called and asked about alternative speakers or ear buds.. or, something that makes better noise in my ears! They had nothing for me. In fact, I don't think the guy even understood what I meant by 'audio quality'.

2. Mounting. Why must these damn things mount below the bottom of the helmet? I hacked off part of the rubber bottom liner on two brand new Shoei just to put these damn things on. That doesn't make me pleased at all. Of course Scala doesn't offer a product that mounts to the side of the helmet, making the system flush with the bottom of the helmet.

So, after contacting Scala this morning and speaking to a customer service representative that literally didn't understand my statement/question 'is there a way to get better audio quality' and after speaking to Ed, head of customer service and having him tell me that he was offended that I called their products audio quality 'crap', I think I'll cut my losses and return their crap product to the store and keep looking for a product that at the very least reproduces music adequately. Oh, and according to Ed, there are thousands of these products in over 60 countries world wide... y'all can't all be pleased with the horrible sounding speakers... can you?

Yeah well, HOW DARE YOU call their product crap ??? Come on, tell us.
Are you saying you even had EXPECTATIONS about the audio quality?
You are supposed to just make the donation, you may be glad you even actually GOT A PRODUCT !
Besides, did you know the product is UPGRADEABLE?
So why so quick with your judgement? They might actually publish an UPDATE in the next decades. You should be patient!!

I own the G4. Last update over a year ago. So what does that tell you?
Exactly: THE G4 IS NOW OFFICIALLY DECLARED *PERFECT*

..... times a million ......
Simplyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
I am looking at buying a scal g9 teamset. Has anyone tried fitting the unit to an Arai xd4. I am reading rthat may not suit certain helmets, but cant seem to find any specific info.

Also interested in more feedback in the units themselves.

Thanks in advance for any info.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
daesimps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
What are you using as your audio source for music and are you using it via bluetooth or the supplied cable? It's not a Zumo 5xx is it?

I use my Zumo 660 for music via bluetooth and it's absolutely fine. I'm no audiophile, but at 70 mph there's no point having the best audio in the world with all the other noise going on. I find it perfectly adequate and in no way like an AM radio.

However, the Zumo 5xx series sat navs can only stream music via bluetooth in mono and only at telephone quality, hence why my wife listens to hers via the cable to the Scala.

Of course you may be using a completely different source of audio, in which case all of the above is irrelevant

PS: I know at least 5 people with the G4 and G9 and none of us have had to cut bits off to make them fit our helmets. My helmet is the one that's caused the "biggest" issue, and that's only that the sun visor slider has meant that I've had to mount the Scala a bit further back than I'd like, meaning that the microphone is at the corner of my mouth instead of the centre as it's not quite long enough.
daesimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
TurkeyChicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Your units should have come with heavy duty stickers to attach the G9's to the outside of your helment if you didn't want to use the clamp method.

I use my G9 regularly for riding around town while listening to MP3's and I haven't noticed any issues. You're obviously not going to get world class sound when you've got engine and wind noise to contend with.
TurkeyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
try this

yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
if you had cut stuff on the bottom of your helmet, you did something WRONG....

even using the clamp method, i was able to get the scala g4 mounted onto my shoei rf100 with out having to "cut anything off"

as for the audio quality, you sure you have the speakers placed in the right spot? The speakers need to be placed as close to your ears with out touching, centered on your ear as much as possible.

or even better yet, do what i did and replace the speakers with a wired audio jack and use your choice of ear buds. (sealed noise isolating like the er6i work the best)

this is a motorcycle helmet audio system, and if you are expecting high quality symphonic audio quality, i think you need to adjust your expectations a WHOLE lot.

But really, look into the ear bud mod on a scale of 1 to 10, pre-mod audio was a 4, post-mod audio is a 9 (word of warning, turn down the scala volume all the way before putting ear buds in!)

@Simplyred yes we know you dont like the scala's and you feel like you have purchased a bad item and you somehow feel cheated.... but shut the hell up already about it man, you are starting to sound like a broken record. Most of us have gotten years of services out of our units, and have been very pleased with them. I have 20k miles on mine now and still going strong.