Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,081
New Adobe products - Online Only!

It's true - starting soon if you buy anything from Adobe, it's going to be download, cloud based only.

Does this make anyone else sick to their stomach? Im coining a new word right now "Mediapocalypse"

Adobe is convinced the future of its company consists of selling you things that you don't actually own. There seems to be a trend with this cloud based merchandise that you pay for and never actually own.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05...ite_for_cloud/

Sure this might be better for some things, but not being able to use the software you pay for whenever out of wireless range? Let's not even get into bandwidth issues and transfer rates with millions of people trying to log into Adobe's servers while using Terabytes of data.
If we could actually get fiber optic connectivity things might be different but alas.... they are not.

The massive video game company EA has started doing this with many of its games with massive failures along the way (if you haven't heard about the Sim City launch, google and watch the fun). I "own" Battlefield 3 which is a EA game and it worked fun until their server got hacked and it was down for weeks.

For people like me that use many Adobe products for work, this is going to VERY problematic. Not only that Digidesign is starting to threaten to do the same thing for software like Protools and AVID, combined they create about 90% of what you see and hear on radio and television.
Having anything run off of a server as many of us know is massively problematic and downtime is simply unacceptable.....Im going to be very curious to see what kind of backlash there is going to be regarding cloud based everything in the future. I have to predict that things are not going to go well....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,519
EA is different, you need to be online to use them. I don't need to be online to use my Adobe products

As for the cost/not owning, for me it's all for business so it's pretty much a wash. I need to upgrade anyways and 600/year isn't that bad. Plus I now have what amounts to something beyond the master collection and while I don't need some of these tools for my normal business having them will let me expand my services as I mess around and get good with the,

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Downloaded software is fine. Always connected as a requirement to use is a huge no-no. I don't care how reliable modern internet is. The only thing that should keep me from using software is problems with my computer, not problems on your end.

I really wanted to hurt someone from Sony when the Playstation Network was hacked and down for almost a month. Much of our TV use is Netflix streaming via PS3, and because Sony's stuff was busted, I suffered. Not acceptable.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
EA is different, you need to be online to use them. I don't need to be online to use my Adobe products
not yet....
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,084
The Adobe model is not that you use the product on their servers, rather that you have to pay an annual license fee for the software to continue to function, and the software phones home to check its status.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
not yet....
They can't do that. Adobe lives on people like myself who use it for business and if I'm in an area without wifi and therefore can't work there would be hell to pay since it would be costing me tons of money and possibly clients if they needed fixes ASAP. I can do them anywhere and then find an internet connection and upload.

They're big push is online content and I now have 1 client so far on business catalyst and he seems to like it so there will hopefully be a few more in the coming months going on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
The Adobe model is not that you use the product on their servers, rather that you have to pay an annual license fee for the software to continue to function, and the software phones home to check its status.

And I'm fine with that.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,377
Being retired, I probably am not entitled to an opinion, but I have some thoughts.

Obviously, from the software vendor point of view, it's making sure that they get paid for each user, and if the software is cloud based, updating it becomes really easy and your customers always have access to the latest release.

However, I do agree that for many users, having the application local is going to be critical to their usage - as noted, if you lose your internet, do you want to be shut down? My internet is pretty good, but I've still had three outages in the last 12 months - not long, but had I been trying to work? would have been highly annoying. And in my location, I have no available backups - no cell network.

As applicatons become larger and more bloated/functional, and the trend towards tablets continues, I can see the entire application on the cloud server with the tablet running essentially as a terminal [gee, everything old is NEW again!].

Hey, like a lot of computer stuff, this is still pretty early for that application, but I'm sure it's coming.

Frankly, if I had to rent office for $5 every time I used it the last year, I'd be hundreds of bucks ahead.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
KenR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
I've been using Adobe's Creative Cloud for the past year. It had a very rocky start with me with it continually forgetting that I was a subscriber but once they issued the fix it's been great.

I treat the subscription as an annual business expense, just like AutoCad and Revit - not a big deal.

KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
I have a few clients who edit on Adobe Premier Pro and they have gone solely to a monthly charge basis but it seems like a good deal for what they get. I prefer having discs in case something bad happens and you are on the road. but these days there are ways round that.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Personally, I object to the fundamental difference that Im not allowed to own something anymore. It's the same if you're renting a car, or a home or a golf club.
Its one thing for companies that dont really care - its a write off for them anyways, but for the everyday person it just feels like they are trying to rip you off.
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
KenR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
A similar argument can be made about how music is purchased these days when downloading off iTunes or listening on Pandora/Spotify/etc. versus buying a CD. The concept of ownership in the digital age has been turned on its head.

KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenR View Post
A similar argument can be made about how music is purchased these days when downloading off iTunes or listening on Pandora/Spotify/etc. versus buying a CD. The concept of ownership in the digital age has been turned on its head.
That's been reversed largely, iTunes is moving if not totally moved away from trying to DRM their music.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenR View Post
I completely agree! More things that you dont actually own. I know a ton of people in the music industry and it just sickens me.
Having worked for a big stupid corporate company now for awhile, I see this mentality of people sitting around a room brainstorming about how to strengthen their bottom line - at the expense of everything; quality, workers, longevity....all that goes out the window
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I completely agree! More things that you dont actually own. I know a ton of people in the music industry and it just sickens me.
Having worked for a big stupid corporate company now for awhile, I see this mentality of people sitting around a room brainstorming about how to strengthen their bottom line - at the expense of everything; quality, workers, longevity....all that goes out the window
Except.....DRM on music is basically gone. I looked it up and even on iTunes it only exists on albums where the distributor hasn't uploaded new higher quality files, everything going forward is DRM-free.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Except.....DRM on music is basically gone. I looked it up and even on iTunes it only exists on albums where the distributor hasn't uploaded new higher quality files, everything going forward is DRM-free.
thank god. I have no idea, as least for music, why anyone would want to have exclusively digital files. Call me old or crazy..... software is a totally different ball of wax
Quote:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: