Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
lstehbens OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Oil level honda vtr250

Hello all,

So I got off my ass yesterday and did a oil and filter change on my brother's VTR250. I've got a PDF of the workshop manual (330 pages + a naked woman on the last page). With new oil filter it should be filled 2.1L of oil, which I did. Now after warming it up and then leaving it for a couple of minutes it appears the oil level is too high (above the upper level in the oil window).

Now I thought, maybe the oil didn't get into the filter and that's why it seems high. So I took it for a 10 or so minute ride (bike warmer than the idling above). Then let it sit a few minutes, checked oil window again. No noticeable change.

Questions:

1. How long should you wait after bike is warm to check oil level? Owner/service manual says a "few minutes".
2. Is there any chance I have overfilled despite filling to the recommended level? Eg 1.9L without oil filter, 2.1L with new oil filter (what I did).

Just concerned because this can get up into the air filter or something if too full? I'm riding the bike to work and back tomorrow so it will get a better run (20 minutes each way about). Perhaps having a little bit of the old oil still in there is giving me this higher reading? If so, should I loosen drain bolt and take a bit out?

Thanks in advance,
Lee
lstehbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Did you tilt the bike opposite of the kickstand side and hold it straight up for draining? If not you may have a little leftover oil in there. How far above the high mark is it? If it's not too much I'd just ride it. If it isn't visible try tilting the bike to get an idea. An eighth of an inch or so wouldn't worry me.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
lstehbens OP
Adventurer

Yeah tilted it over and back and over a few times when draining oil so bit confused.

I can see air at the top of the oil check window when the oil is warm and im checking level. It's about 8-9mm over the upper oil mark on the window. More than 1/8 inch (3.17mm).

Will having a better longer ride on it to work cause the oil filter to take up more oil? Get it down to more acceptable level?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Navin
Unwounding

No, I doubt that. If you ride it keep the RPMs low and watch for oil at the airfilter/smoke out the exhaust. Is it in range when cold?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
lstehbens OP
Adventurer

Just to be sure, riding it won't bring the levels down? Like oil filter sucking more oil into itself?

At cold it's still above where it should be at, still above the upper mark but can still see air at the top of the oil sight window. It's actually not too much different as when it is warm. I'm warming it up now to check again but considering draining 100ml or so out of the drain bolt before I go to work on it.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Navin
Unwounding

The filter should fill up almost right away unless you have other problems. I'd probably pull some out via the filler with a vac pump or such and keep an eye on it. You let it idle for about 5 minutes, right?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
lstehbens OP
Adventurer

Yeah so just checked it. It seems to be just a bit above the overall filler window when warm. Going to drain a bit! Shold have just filled it 2L and then checked, was lazy and figured it'd be right putting the right amount in.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Navin
Unwounding

Wait a minute, Australia? You need to flip the bike over to correctly read that window!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
The filter should fill up almost right away unless you have other problems. I'd probably pull some out via the filler with a vac pump or such and keep an eye on it. You let it idle for about 5 minutes, right?

Using vacuum to pull oil out of most wet-sump bike engines is not an option, as there's no dip-stick hole to access, and there are always parts between the oil fill-hole and the oil level.

The OP has now learned that, when filling anything that's difficult to drain: go short on the amount, and work your way into the desired level.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
lstehbens OP
Adventurer

Well seem to have it down to the right level now after some playing around.

I reckon I drained out about a bit over 300ml... which seems a lot. Considering manual says 2.1L to full with filter change and 1.9l without filter change. So I've in essence only done about 1.8L now... Cue X-files music?

Anyhow better be off, gotta get ready for work. Thanks for your opinions. Feel free to fill me in on the X-files solution.