Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Laugh I'm LEARNING!! ... rookie + wheelie = 18+" log success!!!

For those of you who've read my ramblings these past few months, you know that wheelies have been my nemesis. I'm very lightweight (<120 lbs), have poor natural balance and no natural rhythm, a genetic disorder that means I have to be careful about falling/hurting myself, and an inadequate level of testosterone. the perfect combination for a trials rider, right???? As little as 2 weeks ago I could not consistently get the front wheel adequately off the ground to clear a 2x4.

But, I'm beaming from ear to ear today. Yup, ear to ear.
Monday's beam was pretty large -- going UP this danged log when it was against the concrete 'patio' .. so it was just up and then ride out level.
Wednesday's beam was next -- learning to ride from the concrete, onto the log on the skidplate,and ride her OFF the log.
But today ... today was the rockin'est.
Today, Trixter and I managed the log, the whole log, no concrete pad to break it into baby steps.
yes, it is only about 18" or so tall .. but a week ago I would've said it might as well be 18' tall for all the chance of MY riding over it!!!
(THANKS new trials friend Dave Jones for being there and helping Mike spot so that I could give this a try!!!!)

MONDAY:

https://www.facebook.com/v/10151065669675876

AND THURSDAY https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151061323015876 :

amcross screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 04:54 AM Reason: added ilnks for those who cannot see the embedded
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
MacAttack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Way to go. Its great fun to help and learn with you.
MacAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
Nice! Now that you've gotten over that hurdle, I suspect that you'll be double-blipping over logs with ease in no time.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Good job!!! A good roll up technique is all you will ever need to get over any obstacle. No need for balance if you have good throttle control! Best to learn to be the most correct body english wise in your turns. Hard to beat combo if you turrn 100% correct and learn to roll up things at the right speed.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,571
That is awesome amcross!! Congratulations on your progress!!!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Congrats!
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Thanks so much, guys!!!

Macattack has been GREAT about being patient with me, finding different ways to look at things, different obstacles to try, different approaches and different videos of the experts until something clicks for me and I can get the brain to match the body enough to finally succeed!

I love this sport, and I love sharing it with my spouse, literally, EVERY day....riding after work, competing most weekends. FUUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcross View Post
Thanks so much, guys!!!

Macattack has been GREAT about being patient with me, finding different ways to look at things, different obstacles to try, different approaches and different videos of the experts until something clicks for me and I can get the brain to match the body enough to finally succeed!

I love this sport, and I love sharing it with my spouse, literally, EVERY day....riding after work, competing most weekends. FUUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AM,

I really like what I see, it wont be long when you keep practicing the techniques I saw in the video...

NOW, Don't take this as criticism, and I'm jumping the gun probably in your "training" (only because I might forget, depending on how the posting goes with this thread you know).

I believe NOW, your biggest concern or goals should be, that now that you can clear that log in second video, is (yeah it is great to keep working on that you know...) But IMHO for you in the novice or beginner class should NOT be faced with something that big in a section.

again it is good to be able to do that big log, makes the smaller ones easier to do... I would be trying to get you to be able to get over a log, say 1/2 that size, but from any angle, and up to eventually while turning (while turning is difficult, might not happen for a long time) I'm thinking railroad tie sizes or so, nothing is ever perfectly sized in a trials event... But at any rate, you work on this, but know you have to be able to get over these things, and without a the usual 2 mile "run up" to it, that you (so obviously) have in the 2nd video (I cant see youtube one).

BTW, It looks like someone cut that log like 1/3 off the bottom, leaving you 2/3 of it to ride over, the sister to this log cut more closer to 1/2 would be good. In the 2nd video at :08 your rear wheel is on a crack filled with grass. I think a smaller log at first, placed where the log is now, but you come off that little step that is to the left of you (right side of picture) using that grass as a boundary, then turning to line up to go over the log, will help you accelerate your learning as you combine a turn and the log, is a short term goal to be able to do.

Do everything like Ryan Young & I say, do it until you clean it 3 times, then do it backwards, then add something. you could make it so you also make right turns to the log, then a complete 180 degree (u-turn) at the log.

I think you really ride pretty gutsy and good already, and actually look like a lot of (smaller) women do after quite a few practices, so just keep practicing!

Even "naturally" or physically talented "males" (not trying to gender bias this, but just so you know you are on track, since you brought up lower testosterone levels, lol) EVEN they take a while to get the timing of technique down.

My story to new riders is this, it is like making soup... and it might sound better to someone that is more likely to cook, than some men I know?

It like Soup: We show you techniques, try to show many things you have to do...
This is like taking you: "the water" and now adding
the basics: "all the vegetables & meat"
along with timing and some nuances your body and muscles have to cope and learn: "the seasonings you like" from the success recipe,
but now it has to cook: "practice"...

I don't cook (ask the wife, ever) but I know there is a "magical" spot, when it is all on the stove, at some point the water with ingredients quits tasting like water with stuff in it, it tastes like soup... that magical spot is there in riders too! In fact you will hit these spots all along your trials riding career...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,289
I can only see the second video.

My advice:

Slow the hell down!
Try to get the front end to lift>hit the face of the log>compress and then have the whole bike rebound up and over the log while keeping the skidplate off the log.

It's really cool that you are practicing a lot and love the sport! Keep after it as you are just getting into a very fun part of the learning curve. Minor victories will be had fairly regular and then you will amaze yourself big time soon!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
That log sure felt bigger than 18" to me I had a great time riding and learning with you yesterday- Mike had a great way of giving tips that really helped. I can't wait to ride with you guys again!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
MacAttack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hi Gordy,

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...51061008630876

If you watch the first video of her on that on Monday you will see EXATCLY what you describe happening in slow motion.
Yes guy we are working on smaller logs also she can do 12" logs all day long. This was a big step that was awesome to see.
It’s funny to have you describe the how you think that log should be ridden. djones745 and I were talking about the different ways to go over a log that size. I gave him 4 or 5 examples off the top of my head.
We came up with a pretty cool way for her to be able to ride that log. In the first video you can see it pushed up against the concrete step. She learned to go up this both lifting over and rolling up it. Then she learned to go down both floating the front off and dropping onto the skid plate, stopping and then pulling off. When you put those all together she has already conqured that log without doing it all at once.
I was not surprised at all that her technique was correct for it, but was surprised at the confidence she had to do it. It was truly a great thing to see.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I can only see the second video.

My advice:

Slow the hell down!
Try to get the front end to lift>hit the face of the log>compress and then have the whole bike rebound up and over the log while keeping the skidplate off the log.

It's really cool that you are practicing a lot and love the sport! Keep after it as you are just getting into a very fun part of the learning curve. Minor victories will be had fairly regular and then you will amaze yourself big time soon!
MacAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
AM,

I really like what I see, it wont be long when you keep practicing the techniques I saw in the video...

NOW, Don't take this as criticism, and I'm jumping the gun probably in your "training" (only because I might forget, depending on how the posting goes with this thread you know).

I believe NOW, your biggest concern or goals should be, that now that you can clear that log in second video, is (yeah it is great to keep working on that you know...) But IMHO for you in the novice or beginner class should NOT be faced with something that big in a section.

again it is good to be able to do that big log, makes the smaller ones easier to do... I would be trying to get you to be able to get over a log, say 1/2 that size, but from any angle, and up to eventually while turning (while turning is difficult, might not happen for a long time) I'm thinking railroad tie sizes or so, nothing is ever perfectly sized in a trials event... But at any rate, you work on this, but know you have to be able to get over these things, and without a the usual 2 mile "run up" to it, that you (so obviously) have in the 2nd video (I cant see youtube one).

BTW, It looks like someone cut that log like 1/3 off the bottom, leaving you 2/3 of it to ride over, the sister to this log cut more closer to 1/2 would be good. In the 2nd video at :08 your rear wheel is on a crack filled with grass. I think a smaller log at first, placed where the log is now, but you come off that little step that is to the left of you (right side of picture) using that grass as a boundary, then turning to line up to go over the log, will help you accelerate your learning as you combine a turn and the log, is a short term goal to be able to do.

Do everything like Ryan Young & I say, do it until you clean it 3 times, then do it backwards, then add something. you could make it so you also make right turns to the log, then a complete 180 degree (u-turn) at the log.

I think you really ride pretty gutsy and good already, and actually look like a lot of (smaller) women do after quite a few practices, so just keep practicing!

Even "naturally" or physically talented "males" (not trying to gender bias this, but just so you know you are on track, since you brought up lower testosterone levels, lol) EVEN they take a while to get the timing of technique down.

My story to new riders is this, it is like making soup... and it might sound better to someone that is more likely to cook, than some men I know?

It like Soup: We show you techniques, try to show many things you have to do...
This is like taking you: "the water" and now adding
the basics: "all the vegetables & meat"
along with timing and some nuances your body and muscles have to cope and learn: "the seasonings you like" from the success recipe,
but now it has to cook: "practice"...

I don't cook (ask the wife, ever) but I know there is a "magical" spot, when it is all on the stove, at some point the water with ingredients quits tasting like water with stuff in it, it tastes like soup... that magical spot is there in riders too! In fact you will hit these spots all along your trials riding career...
Sting,
THANK YOUI! Thanks for the kind words, the praise and the courtesy with which the advice was provided.

PART 1: I hope you can see the 1st video now, the one with the curb, that mike provided a link above ... I THINK there I am doing almost exactly what you suggested from the concrete step?
PART2: I don't have a video of the 2 evenings I spent using the curb to get me to step DOWN over the log -- practicing intentionally stopping, hanging up on the skidplate, then rocking the bike off the plate.
PART 3 is the Thursday clip.

To answer your suggestion -- i am working every night on logs that are in the 6" to 12" range - sticks, a railroad tie, a parking lot concrete bumper. The latest torture is a "wheelie square' -- 4 logs, each around 6-10" in diameter, spaced on the midpoints of the 4 sides of a 15' square patch of thick pasture grass, intentionally not perfectly flat and with some potholes and the like. Wheelie just to kiss the log top, manage a 90 degree turn at the square's corner, wheelie again .. and so on. both directions. they are short and light -- hit them with the front wheel? they MOVE, dang it! spin them with the rear? yep...moving again. the one on the "uphill' grade had a small fork in it and was forever pivoting to the north on me!

Mike has been GREAT about coming up with different challenges for me. I was spending too much time focusing on getting height in a wheelie and getting consistent height -- so that when I tried to go over anything that didn't include 10' of runup, I couldn't do a thing, not even lighten the front wheel. So, Mike came up with the square. Safe, embarrassingly simplistic yet difficult, no risk of any problem if I didn't lift and rolled over the sticks. It has done WONDERS in forcing me to not have wheelies require a long thought process and overthink.

Then the problem was that, a log under 12", will allow me to "whimp", and simply roll over with a THUNK. I needed to get consistent about committing and truly lifting when the obstacle requires. I've WANTED to ride up that step to the left of my log in the video for weeks, but been unable to find a way to be confident enough to try it. I had another edge of the same platform that I get up with a kicker -- and can do it without touching the kicker, SOMETIMES, but still had the same issue.

so, Mike cut this log. And he made me ride up it -- as in the slowmo above -- until I could ride up it without intense thought. The mental conversation made it down to "commit" and "UP!", and I wasn't getting in trouble in any manner with that upward step. Then it was time to learn down. I actually LIKED the down piece of the equation, except i had trouble keeping my foot on the pegs for the 'stop'. But the funky feeling of 'rocking' the bike up onto the rear tire and off is COOL!

and then, last night, the first attempt ever at "allley oop!" -- and up and over it I went. The video you saw is exactly my 3rd ride over the whole log. My 2nd ride I was a bit soft and so drug the skidplate (but without stopping on it) , so this one you saw had more momentum coming in and more vertical height due to paranoia!

Again, as ALWAYS, thanks, Sting. Your input is always thoughtful and respectful and encouraging. I very much appreciate the input and am all ears! Please know my notes above aren't arguing ... but just talking thru how we've tried to do just what you describe ... and am very open to continued input on how to keep growing the process. (I'm not yet trying to manage the logs IN the turns, but am taking off angles, and an occasional slippery bugger to boot.)

(PS: Mike's the soup cook in our house!! but the analogy is a very helpful one. Last night, my ride tasted like soup, or felt like waltzing is the analogy we use in the horse world. it stopped being "1 2 3, left left left right" and became, "dance" even just for a brief few seconds. LOVE IT!!!)

amcross screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 04:28 PM
Old 11-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

trying again:
https://www.facebook.com/v/10151065669675876

amcross screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 04:55 AM Reason: using more easily visible links
Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones745 View Post
That log sure felt bigger than 18" to me I had a great time riding and learning with you yesterday- Mike had a great way of giving tips that really helped. I can't wait to ride with you guys again!
Dave,
it broke my heart when mike said it was only 18" tall!!!!!!!!!! i thot it felt massive!!

You did TERRIFIC last night! I wish I'd been doing half so well at 2 weeks on MY bike. I really hope you'll come visit and practice again very soon and that we see you at the first of the winter series events down at TTC!!!!!

amcross screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 04:32 PM
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,289
Link still doesn't work for me.

Anyway........we always have these kind of conversations about "how" to ride a certain obstacle when we are out riding.

Invariably, while a few of us are arguing about the proper way to do it, some wise guy will just ride by and do it!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote