Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
MZ5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Any helmets out there with a long-oval shape like Arai's Profile?

I wear a Profile because it's the only helmet I've tried on that doesn't give me a headache. I have a big head in the first place, and a very long-oval shape besides. I love my Arai, and will buy another when it's time, so long as they don't do something dumb like drop that shape or drop Snell certification.

This question is more about my young son. He has a very long-oval head shape as well, and while I'm sure Arai makes a Profile that would fit him, I cannot afford to buy an Arai a year for the next ~10 years for him as he grows. So, I'm wondering whether anyone here knows of other helmets that are:

1) Long-oval shape,
2) Snell certified,
3) A little less costly for a growing boy.
MZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,512
This page:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

starts with the 6 helmets, including the Profile, that are long ovals.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
I have a similar shaped cranium and have found luck with a number of AGV. In the cheap end I used to have luck with Fulmer but it's been years since I've tried them. Currently I'm wearing a Suomy but they are hard to find here in the states.

As for cost, only the Fulmer could be considered "Affordable".
Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,272
I have a long oval head. I wore Arai for 20+ years (and still have a perfectly good one). Nothing else ever fit comfortably enough to wear all day.

Last year, I tried a Bell Vortex. I have not worn my Arai since. The Vortex is (I believe) Snell 2010. And they go for about $180, new. A couple of months ago, I tried a Bell RS-1. It is a slightly different shell shape than the Vortex, but equally comfortable to me. I got one on closeout for $200. But, their normal street price is, I think a bit over $300.

The expensive Bell, the Star, is yet a third shell shape and was not comfortable to me.

These Bells are not MORE comfortable than my Arai. Just, AS comfortable (to me). But, the reason I have not worn my Arai since getting the Vortex is that I also got a Bell Transitions shield for each of my Bell helmets. The Transitions shield goes clear in the dark and gets to about a Medium Smoke in full sunlight. THAT is what really kicked my Arai to the curb. No more ever having to carry a spare shield in case I end up getting caught out after dark.

I've been using the Bells now for a year and a half. At $180 for the helmet, you just canNOT go wrong (if it's comfortable on your head).

Oh, and the final $0.02, Bell makes a version of the same helmet with the flip-up chinbar. It is NOT comfortable to me, at all. You'd think they'd make it the same on the inside as one of the other 3, but it's not, as far as I can tell. Just FYI.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
MZ5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DaveStockwell, thanks! I'll see whether we can find Fulmers here.

StuartV, excellent info! Thanks! I'd heard that at least some Bells are (once again?) using a long-oval internal shape, and the Vortex is indeed Snell 2010 certified (as are the more expensive Bells). A transitions lens seems VERY appealing, too. I ride to work in the dark for half the year, but am riding home mid-afternoon. At certain times of the year when I leave I'd prefer a clear shield, but then I'm looking straight into the rising sun once I'm about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way there. This makes the commute challenging, as I'm sure you can imagine. :)

Thanks for the great feedback!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,342
FWIW, I had a Fulmer as my first helmet and it was NOT a long oval shape. I used to leave a noticeable red mark on my forehead after every ride. I switched to an Arai XD and then an Arai RX-Q and they fit much better. I think a Profile is more long oval that either the XD or RX-Q...
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 881
I wore a Profile....

....And now wear the new Signet-Q. It is spectacularly comfortable.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I have the Aria Profile that fits great. The closest I've come to it is the Bell RS-1. The RS-1 is not so much a long oval spec. helmet is it is an intermediate oval helmet that seems be designed for a versatile fit within the intermediate oval range. It fits my LO head well although I had to go from a M in the profile to a L in the RS-1. Recommend test fitting it as it has a lot of nice features and seems well made and designed. The Signet-Q is also another option although more pricey.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
empeg9000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
I wear a Profile because it's the only helmet I've tried on that doesn't give me a headache. I have a big head in the first place, and a very long-oval shape besides. I love my Arai, and will buy another when it's time, so long as they don't do something dumb like drop that shape or drop Snell certification.

This question is more about my young son. He has a very long-oval head shape as well, and while I'm sure Arai makes a Profile that would fit him, I cannot afford to buy an Arai a year for the next ~10 years for him as he grows. So, I'm wondering whether anyone here knows of other helmets that are:

1) Long-oval shape,
2) Snell certified,
3) A little less costly for a growing boy.
I would love to find a flip-up with the long oval shape. On Webbike they refer to it as narrow. The C2 is supposedly shaped like that. I tried on a C3 in the past and it didn't fit me right.
MOA#125237
IBA#35312
------------
Yes, BMW does in fact make Motorcycles!

http://empeg9000.blogspot.com/
empeg9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Any Profile owners try a Shoei Neotec?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 954
As with anything, make sure you try several of them on before you buy. Webbikeworld calls both the Signet-Q and the X-Eleven "Slightly Narrow". The Shoei hurt my head after 5 minutes, I've worn the Signet-Q for 20 hours at a stretch with no discomfort.

'05Train screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 11:00 AM
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
MZ5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I like the Webbikeworld site a lot, but their helmet shape charts don't square with my try-on experience very well, apart from the Profile being a long oval (which, since Arai makes that plain, I don't really need WBW to tell me...).
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Any Profile owners try a Shoei Neotec?
I have worn Arai's for years.......and the Profile over the last 5 or so.

I bought a Neotec this year and it fits me very well. The longest time spent in it was one 8 hour day........no problems!
I really wanted a Schuberth C3, but it gave me a horrible mark on my forehead.
The Nolan N104 fit ok, but seemed poorly made and not up to the quality of the Arai/Shoei helmets.

If I bought a new Arai, it would be a Signet-Q........I was fitted by the Arai guy at one of the MC shows last year and he figured that was his best helmet for my pointy head.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
I have worn Arai's for years.......and the Profile over the last 5 or so.

I bought a Neotec this year and it fits me very well. The longest time spent in it was one 8 hour day........no problems!
Did you go with the same size Neotec? I'm a med. profile. I was a med. X-11.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,151
I have an egg head too. own 3 profiles but I might try a bell for their shields
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote