User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
jtatknox OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Weird lean condition

Help me understand this lean condition...

Bike: 1984 BMW R65, Dellorto PHF carbs

Problem: The left cylinder head is fine, but the right cylinder head is running about 50 F hotter all the time. Yellow exhaust pipe, greying valve cover paint, recently started to smoke after sitting more than a week. I think that head must be running really lean or something! Checked the idle mixture screw, and the bike seems to like where it is set. Needle is at the correct notch. Only getting 38 mpg.

Clue: the rubber gasket between the carburetor and the cylinder head seems to be weeping gasoline.

What the heck is going on?

Thanks!
jtatknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatknox View Post
Help me understand this lean condition...

Bike: 1984 BMW R65, Dellorto PHF carbs

Problem: The left cylinder head is fine, but the right cylinder head is running about 50 F hotter all the time. Yellow exhaust pipe, greying valve cover paint, recently started to smoke after sitting more than a week. I think that head must be running really lean or something! Checked the idle mixture screw, and the bike seems to like where it is set. Needle is at the correct notch. Only getting 38 mpg.

Clue: the rubber gasket between the carburetor and the cylinder head seems to be weeping gasoline.

What the heck is going on?

Thanks!
There ya go. It's lean because you have a vacuum leak between the carb and head.

EDIT: Or if it's smoking and using oil that cylinder could be burning oil and making it detonate which would make it run hotter.