User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
LBourque OP
G/S nut

Oddometer: 225
LED's on a R80 G/S help

Added some nice LED's to my G/S and am having the "blown bulb" quick flashing and was wondering how to add a load to the circuit to replicate a filament type bulb. The installation went well but would like to fix the flashing issue. Anyone done it before or maybe direct me to a link.
LBourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
Either add resistors parallel to the indicators to simulate the load of a bulb or (better) get one of the electronic replacement flashers that doesn't depend on load.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
LBourque OP
G/S nut

Flashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Either add resistors parallel to the indicators to simulate the load of a bulb or (better) get one of the electronic replacement flashers that doesn't depend on load.

Got the flasher today and after installation nothing happens,. Might try load resistors. But I was surprised the flasher did nothing.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBourque View Post
Got the flasher today and after installation nothing happens,. Might try load resistors. But I was surprised the flasher did nothing.
I saw your PM. I should have clarified that the photo I put down here was not one I've tried before. Your local autoparts store should have one that's equivalent, as far as contact layout, to your stock BMW flasher, but instead with a solid state flasher in it.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,508
When I installed mine (electronic relay on a G/S that I think is the same as pictured above) I had to move one or two of the wires in the BMW terminal block.... check how the relay is labled and verify against the BMW wiring diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
All the above: it fits the location, but you have to change over + and - as it is reversed. Don't have hyperflashing just hyperventilation when I am going too fast and the air can't follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
*ahem*

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750343

Never mind the rambling, it all works in the end.
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
LBourque OP
G/S nut

Kisan flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz72 View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750343

Never mind the rambling, it all works in the end.
Good morning!
Saw your post about the flasher and it looks like it is a 9 pin flasher. My R80 G/S has a simple 3 pin. Tried switching the neg and pos terminals and then get all four indicators flashing at once. I installed some small LED's on all four indicator lights so the replacement led bulbs for the stock lights wasn't my first choice.. They all seem to be wired correctly but flashing is a concern. I got a flasher from superbright leds and installed in place of the original. But nothing lights up. So I also ordered the load resistors and might have to go that route but wanted a less bulky way. Still messin around with it but like the look of the new indicator lights. Thanks for helping out!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
LBourque OP
G/S nut

Thanks Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
When I installed mine (electronic relay on a G/S that I think is the same as pictured above) I had to move one or two of the wires in the BMW terminal block.... check how the relay is labled and verify against the BMW wiring diagram.
I switched the pos and neg wires and I get four way flasher. Install the superbright leds flasher and nothing lights up. If I can't find a clean install my next step is to do the load resistor but they seem so clunky as you need one for each light which means four of em. I am going to try to search for a flasher relay at our local parts store and see what they come up with. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
ignatz72
call me iggy

LBourque, Kisan makes flashers for all sorts of bikes. I think you would need the SM-1.

I tried cheap-o "LED" or "heavy duty" flashers bought from the local auto parts store on another bike and they didn't do the trick. A fully electronic flasher like the Kisan costs more but it also works!

The thing about resistors is the heat they generate, mounting locations, and of course, you aren't easing the burden on the battery.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
LBourque OP
G/S nut

Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz72 View Post
LBourque, Kisan makes flashers for all sorts of bikes. I think you would need the SM-1.

I tried cheap-o "LED" or "heavy duty" flashers bought from the local auto parts store on another bike and they didn't do the trick. A fully electronic flasher like the Kisan costs more but it also works!

The thing about resistors is the heat they generate, mounting locations, and of course, you aren't easing the burden on the battery.
I agree about the resistors and it would have been a last ditch effort and not my favorite choice. Will look into more Kisan products. And thanks.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
ignatz72
call me iggy

NP, and Andy at Kisan's technical support phone line is very helpful and friendly, if you have specific questions.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Led flasher

I bought one on eBay from China for $1.60, including shipping (still haven't figured out how they manage that). Send me a PM and I'll send it to you, if you like. I bought it for a non-led application then didn't end up using it.
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,002
Moved to airheads...

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote