ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
Alright

Cockbags, as I have lost all respect for the nut rats, ie squirrels, that cruze this site, this goes out to the fellers that have gone riding with me on my big bike. For the cheap seats, the KTM not the Fantic. So, it's leaving, I have got it down to a replacement, 2002ish 520 Kant Touch Me and a Yameehaw 2006 yz 450f I think. I'm pretty much going to beat three shades of shit out of this, as I did with my current KTM, one of these will be the second dirt bike I have ever owned. As I won't be able to test ride either real proper like, whas the thorts? Are both of them going to bore the piss out of me?
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,276
Funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquanout View Post
Cockbags, as I have lost all respect for the nut rats, ie squirrels, that cruze this site, this goes out to the fellers that have gone riding with me on my big bike. For the cheap seats, the KTM not the Fantic. So, it's leaving, I have got it down to a replacement, 2002ish 520 Kant Touch Me and a Yameehaw 2006 yz 450f I think. I'm pretty much going to beat three shades of shit out of this, as I did with my current KTM, one of these will be the second dirt bike I have ever owned. As I won't be able to test ride either real proper like, whas the thorts? Are both of them going to bore the piss out of me?

Damn WaterMan you sound like a DIT grad! "Cockbags"? My buddy has a 520...fine for short romps....beats the shit out of him on long hauls and tank is small on his...I KC135 him with some of my fuel to get him home...YZ? 450F...hear good things about them but have never ridden one...have fun with the selection and don't get bored!
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Gosh, thanks huge help. And yes ooooold deep sea diver, but only as old as the women I feel right?.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Are both of them going to bore the piss out of me?
Are you wanting street legal or just a FAS[fast ass sumbitch]?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
WetSideRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
I'm leaning to smoker side for the moment, so I'd favor the 520 over the MX'er. But since neither are plated, keep lookin' for something simpler.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Doesn't need plates, fast and stupid would be bitchin. I think it would be cheaper to get an older 520 KTM and legalize it. I'm putting a couple grand budget on this, but if the right ride comes along...
Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
I would get the yamaha they are pretty fkin bullet proof.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 448
What do you want to do with it? Trail ride?

Is the Katoom an EXC? If so, it makes an excellent trail bike, but it is a big heavy bike with tons of power. Not the best for single track, but it can do it.

The YZ is a motocross bike, will be a handful on the trails.

I had a '02 520 EXC, great bike. Very reliable.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

I'm used to a heavy powerful bike in single track, anything I get will be lighter. I may start looking for a plated bike just for ease of use crossing fire roads and such.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
I'm used to a heavy powerful bike in single track, anything I get will be lighter. I may start looking for a plated bike just for ease of use crossing fire roads and such.
you might think about going with a good used KTM EXC that is plated for your state. There are a lot of great deals on the EXC`s and most of them have a bunch of good stuff already done to them. KTM`s come with all the good components and race ready out the door new.

Then again if you want brute power and good suspension go with the all mighty "KX-500". Your won`t lose a drag race thats for sure.

I went with the 690R enduro and love the bike. It does come in at 310 lbs but does not feel like it. Does really good off road and it eats up the twisty roads on the street yet will do well over 100mph and still get 50 mpg. My race days are over but when I ride the 690 it leaves me smiling big time. Stock it comes with 65 hp, top of the line suspension, brakes, controls, rims and everything else about it.

Good luck on your hunt, you ------COCKBAG !
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Yeah, my 950 makes me giggle. 110+ hp and 460 plus pounds, it's a handful in the tight single track for sure. But to be able to do 120 in the dunes is titties for sure.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Yeah, my 950 makes me giggle. 110+ hp and 460 plus pounds, it's a handful in the tight single track for sure. But to be able to do 120 in the dunes is titties for sure.
HOLY MOLY--------120 in the dunes on a 950 ! I wonder what it`s like to go down in the sand that fast ?
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
Both the yz and KTM exc are great bikes but very different, Both very reliable,the YZ will have
more punch with the 520 being a little slow,but more trackable power.
If you can get a 525 they are quite a bit more worthy. I can remember riding my old 02 520 after having the 06 525 for about a year. after a quick ride I was asking myself how the heck did I ride that bike for so long, it felt heavy and quite porky

The YZ can make a good trail bike with some mods. The KTM is a great trail bike right out of the box
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

It fills yer hemet with sand , and it hurts, a little.

I think Im going with the yz. If i can get it for the dirty lowball offer I want to make.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
I saw your bike on CL

I saw your trusty 950 on Craigslist and wondered what would be next for ya. I've not ridden either of the bikes your looking at but I can tell you my 2003 yamaha is ultra reliable, and the market is flush with them making them cheap to pick up. Looks like I'll be selling my plated wr250f to get a 2007 yz250f. The YZ is so much lighter than the WR, I don't need a 450 though. I've read the fuel injected YZ450 can be electronicly tuned for smooth power or the big hit of a stick of dynamite.
As other folks pointed out both bikes are reported to be great.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote