ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
Has anyone here had carpal tunnel surgery?

I have been putting off getting the surgery for a long time because I am afraid of any side effects while riding and working, mainly hard palm impacts on the newly exposed nerves (I'm a custom furniture/cabinet maker). Both my mom and my wife had the surgery about 5 years ago and report few side effects besides the occasional zinger, but my wife doesn't ride as often as me, and neither have jobs that are as hard on the hands.

I was wondering if any of you fellow riders have had the surgery and what your side-effects have been? How long of a recovery time should I realistically expect? Was your surgery endoscopic or invasive?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,010
Haven't had the surgery, but when i do get that pain (usually after plastering wall joints for a few days) i surely identify with going under the knife. That pain is terrible, especially at night, keeps you up all night...no relief.
I'm a wood worker too, fortunately don't get the pain constantly though...yet!!

Good luck, i'd say go with it, if it's affecting your way of life constantly. I would, although my wife works in surgery...so she's all over these things...typical dinner table conversations!
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 459
Although I've had issues I haven't gone under the knife yet. If I do, I'll get the arthroscopic version instead of having the huge cut down the wrist and into the palm. Folks that have had the arthroscopic option have reported immediate relief, quick healing, and no more pain.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Had it done, both hands, back in the dark ages before the arthroscopic stuff. I never had the murderous pain, but lots of numbness, tingling, and was constantly dropping stuff. Healed up fine, but slowly. No problems to this day. Get it fixed! It's well worth the trouble.

Somewhere here there's an old thread about this.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Road2Adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
+1 on the carpal tunnel surgery information.

Ride safe, change the gas often.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
Haven't had the surgery, but when i do get that pain (usually after plastering wall joints for a few days) i surely identify with going under the knife. That pain is terrible, especially at night, keeps you up all night...no relief.
I'm a wood worker too, fortunately don't get the pain constantly though...yet!!

Good luck, i'd say go with it, if it's affecting your way of life constantly. I would, although my wife works in surgery...so she's all over these things...typical dinner table conversations!
I can definitely relate to the dinner conversation topics; my wife is a floor nurse at the local hospital. Why do they have to bring it up at dinner?!! I remember one conversation in particular about a patient she had who fell off a ladder and onto a railroad jack. He filleted his scrotum from his A-hole to his shaft. That one stuck with me.

I am actually embarrassed at how long I have let this go on. I can barely go a night without waking up at some point with a hand/arm so numb that it has lost function, and I have to move it with the other hand. When I ride, especially up a long technical hill climb, I will sometimes look down and realize that my pinky has moved up on top of my ring finger without my knowing. I routinely have to stop and shake the feeling back into my hands every ten minutes or so.

The thing that makes me nervous -- if I lightly tap my finger against the base of my wife's palm (around her scar), she says it feels like an electrical shock shooting up her arm. I always imagine feeling every rock, root and stump like that wile riding post surgery. Somehow, predictable numbness and minor pain sounds better to me than elective surgery and random zingers.

Or maybe the mistake I made was watching a video of the surgery on YouTube.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,133
I can't speak to carpal, but had "trigger finger" surgery on a thumb. There is the stated "recovery time" mostly for function, and a much longer time for nerves to fully heal [1 - 1.5 years]. That's where the zingers come from.

Get it fixed, imo, you don't want to favor the hand and collide with a sharp tool [or tablesaw blade] because you passed on surgery. The docs are pretty good at that stuff.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Had both done...

Had the right one done about 15 years ago and the left one done three years ago. Recovery time was nearly nonexistent. I was riding just a couple days after each surgery. ONLY thing that hurt was if I pressed down, like on chair arms, without thinking first. This hurt when it happened for about a month. That was it, but I had a good doctor (according to him).
Old 10-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,950
Pretty much what Valker said - next day I was wrenching in the shope and pruning stuff in the garden. THe best thing was the doctor let me watch the surgery and it was super cool to see the tendons and stuff (I like science).

I have noticed no loss of strength in grip at all - if anything it's way better due to not hurting. Do yourself a favor and go for it.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
It's been 23 years since I had both hands done. NO regrets since and NO symptoms either! Actually had a pinched nerve in one hand (serious) so I had it done first. Have ridden at least 200,000 miles since w/o a problem. There is also NO weakness as a result. Have a nerve conduction test done to positively identify the problem (CTS) and then decide. Wearing braces day and night won't cure it.
Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
I can definitely relate to the dinner conversation topics; my wife is a floor nurse at the local hospital. Why do they have to bring it up at dinner?!! I remember one conversation in particular about a patient she had who fell off a ladder and onto a railroad jack. He filleted his scrotum from his A-hole to his shaft. That one stuck with me.

BET IT STUCK WITH HIM TOO!!

I am actually embarrassed at how long I have let this go on. I can barely go a night without waking up at some point with a hand/arm so numb that it has lost function, and I have to move it with the other hand. THAT BRINGS BACK THE PAIN RIGHT THERE, THINKING ABOUT THAT.
Git er dun!! We'll ride our XR4's together after you heal!
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Repair work

Had both of my hands done in 1992. After years of cold weather carpenter work and beloved dirt riding. I pulled the trigger and scheduled the procedure. Right hand was really bad and the left was a problem.

When I had the right hand done -----that night I slept 8 hours straight for the first time in 8 months. One day later I was running a chain saw cutting wood for the stove. ----It`s no big deal !

Left hand was done 60 days later. I will say It took about a year before I could slam my palm into something solid and feel no after effects.

Glad I did it when I did.

Getter Done------
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
bruceo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I had both hands done last winter. My carpal tunnel syndrome was mostly an irritation - not that bad in daily life, and I just put up with it for years. When I rode my hands would fall asleep, which I found rather inconvenient. I had to stop and shake my hands constantly to get the feeling back in them. I had the invasive surgery done on my right hand in December, and then the left done 30 days later. I tried to time it so my recovery would happen when I wasn't riding that much anyway, and I'd say it worked out great. My surgeon felt that with the invasive surgery he had better visibility and fewer chances for complications, so I went with it. No regrets whatsoever!

My symptoms are completely gone. No irritation in daily life, no numb hands while riding, no waking up in the middle of the night. Recovery was not bad, you won't want to do pushups for several months afterwards. That kind of pressure right on the incision point takes the longest to heal. I was riding again a week after surgery.

Untreated carpal tunnel syndrome can cause permanent nerve damage and weakness in your hands. I have a strict "only when necessary" surgery policy, so I waited for years before I had mine done. In retrospect, I wish I had mine done earlier. So, like everyone else here so far, I say "Git er done!"
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
hondahead
n00b

Oddometer: 9
My uncle got both done at once. Just need to find someone who is willing to wipe your arse!

Probably a better idea to get one one at a time. In case something goes wrong!
hondahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
bruceo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahead View Post
My uncle got both done at once. Just need to find someone who is willing to wipe your arse!

Probably a better idea to get one one at a time. In case something goes wrong!
Yeah, I asked about doing them both at the same time. The surgeon gently suggested that wasn't the best idea...