Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #16
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,956
It's been my previous experience on other bikes that when there's an instantaneous problem on a bike it's ignition related rather than fuel related.

But, that was on carbed bikes.

On another note, what is the deal with some mechanics? They just throw parts at the problem and don't actually troubleshoot anymore! If I was working on your bike I'd hook up a wideband o2 sensor to see what's happening to the AFR during these problems. If there was no change I'd hunt down an ignition problem. If it gradually went lean or rich, fuel.

Is life really that hard for some people? This is common sense.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
This is common sense.
Only after you do it wrong and then have someone who knows how to diagnose show you how to do it right. Some people don't have mentors for their mechanical endeavors and just learn to throw parts at it from reading the intertubes, alas.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracertdi View Post
Prior diagnostics prompted the replacement of the crank sensor. Its at Harley now so i should know something more tomorrow. Up till now, its been cheaper to throw parts at it, my friend works at another harley shop and is able to get me parts at 10% over cost. That roughly equals half off of retail.
Apparently the diagnostician is wrong now isn't he? Until now it's been cheaper? Really? Is it fixed? No. Cheap parts that don't fix it are simply money tossed into the wind. Are you using Autolite plugs by any chance?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Yeah new doesn't always equal good. 65 PSI is at the high end of the range and can cause a rich condition. .
That's how I understand it as well, the injector stays OPEN for a specific duration based on what RPM, what throttle opening, etc, and the higher fuel pressure will be delivering more fuel than what is really intended.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I'd be looking at a crankshaft position sensor. Easy and cheap to replace.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,625
Best of luck finding the problem. This is why I do not believe in FI on bikes. I have built a couple of carbed EVOs, and they ran fine. And I am an AUTO mechanic, not a motorcycle mechanic. The newer Harley engines have 2 main problems. FI, and the cam chain. Both of which are troublesome, and neither of which are needed. Harley should have stuck with a carbed single cam, but done all the other upgrades. They would have had a bigger, stronger, more reliable motor.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
RSRennsport
Navigator

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Best of luck finding the problem. This is why I do not believe in FI on bikes. I have built a couple of carbed EVOs, and they ran fine. And I am an AUTO mechanic, not a motorcycle mechanic. The newer Harley engines have 2 main problems. FI, and the cam chain. Both of which are troublesome, and neither of which are needed. Harley should have stuck with a carbed single cam, but done all the other upgrades. They would have had a bigger, stronger, more reliable motor.

And if we stayed with smoke signals and drums instead of cell phones, people wouldn't have brain tumors.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I am a Moto Tech and I don't think it's a faulty FI. Sounds more to me like a general electrical issue.
Or maybe there isn't any fuel in the tank.