User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
greenthumb OP
b00b

Oddometer: 185
Motoport winter gloves review

First off, I have their Kevlar racing glove. I like them very much. The fit and comfort is great and after two years of riding, they have held up very well. I would buy them again. They're not waterproof, and not very warm in cold wether however.

Enter their Kevlar winter glove. Pic courtesy of their website.

So after my experience with their summer glove, I ordered a pair.
The quality is great. Materials and construction just like the Sumer glove. The hard plastic knuckle protector is missing and has been replaced with some padding under some pleated Kevlar material. It works, but I'm at odds as to why the design changes across the knuckles. I think it looks a little ugly, but this is motoport, so were not going for style points anyway.

They are completely waterproof, even after hours of pouring rain. At the same time, your hands don't get sweaty. The Hipora liner works well. Motoport doesn't make any claims about insulation, and from what I can tell, there isn't much. No thinsulate or similar tags were on the glove, but they do feel thicker and fuzzier than my Sumer gloves. They are called a "winter" glove, but that is by a California based company. I suspect a Canadian winter defers slightly from a Californian one, so the name is subjective. As far as warmth goes, they are much warmer than their racing glove. Probably in part due to being windproof. I don't think most people would find them sufficient in freezing temperatures without heated grips. For me they are comfortable to about 10 Celsius, colder than that, I add liners, which makes them much warmer.

When I first received and put them on, I had to check I had recieved the correct size. My Sumer gloves fit pretty much perfect and I had called to confirm that I should order the same size, so I was disappointed about how they fit. Overall a little too big, and the fingers were too long. Combine this with the fact that they have little peformed curve to the fingers, and i get some bunching of material between the grips. Not a deal breaker, just not as good as i was used to. I had thought about returning them for a size smaller, but between shipping and customs, who knows how long that would take and cost. I bought some super thin stretchy knit gloves and use them as liners. This has worked out very well. With the liners, the fit is actually very good and gives me more insulation that I can add/remove depending on temperature. So the larger fit is a plus or negative depending on how you look at it.

I also own a Kevlar mesh jacket, (similar to the above pic) and have become accustomed to wearing the jacket over the glove. The gauntlets on the winter glove are bigger and this is no longer possible. There is simply too much material to get in there and it strains the zipper on the jacket, which I do not want to break. On the flip side, the gloves are just barely big enough to get over the jacket (w/both jacket liners in), and I don't have big wrists. Putting on the second glove with the already gloved hand is a little tricky. This exacerbates the long finger problem if I don't get them on far enough. A different (thinner) jacket wouldn't have this problem, but it would be nice if their own products worked well together. I have had no water leakage at the cuffs with this arrangement.

So in conclusion, the performance is great, but the fit and design leaves something to be desired. YMMV

greenthumb screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 01:37 AM
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Nice review - thanks for taking the time to post this.

As a Canadian now living in Seattle, I can confirm your sentiment about winters dffering between areas. ;) Best I can tell, winter on most of the West coast actually means "It's cloudy and rains a bit more."

Might have to check out a set of these at some point. :)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
These don't look all that protective, at least compared to similar gloves in the price range, There are seams and no heavy reinforcement on the outside of the pinky (a high abrasion area in an accident). Can't beat leather for abrasion resistance.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
RichieBoone
TheBooneMan

Oddometer: 215
fire the design team! sometimes ugly can be cool but my goodness.
Not trying to put down a great company--especially made in the USA stuff, but their gear looks like an Amish kid made it.

RichieBoone screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 09:33 PM
RichieBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
These don't look all that protective, at least compared to similar gloves in the price range, There are seams and no heavy reinforcement on the outside of the pinky (a high abrasion area in an accident). Can't beat leather for abrasion resistance.
They're kevlar. They are way stronger than any leather glove.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
greenthumb OP
b00b

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
They're kevlar. They are way stronger than any leather glove.
Not to mention if the hype about wet leather losing its strength is even remotely true.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
Not to mention if the hype about wet leather losing its strength is even remotely true.
Wet cows have a hell of a time....
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
When the cow is still breathing....no.....not breathing....yes.

Motoport is for safety not a fashion show.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Yes, if it is possible, motoport stuff is even uglier than Aerostich! Now I really want to like this stuff, but I'm just not a complete and total nerd.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,266
Complete and total nerd? If this qualifies as that, I guess I'll take the label and be happy with it. I certainly do not feel as dorky in it as wearing my leathers on the street.

Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote