User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
GastonUSAChile OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Problems with dollars in Argentina

Be aware in Argentina on how to manage your expenses using dollars and retrieving money from ATM or using credit cards.

Read this report. It is absolutely true and what's going on in Argentina

NOTE TO ALL OVERLANDERS COMING TO ARGENTINA: Be sure to bring all the money you plan to spend here in USD$. Don't wait until you get here to pull money out of an ATM, and don't use your credit/debit card. You'll pay the official exchange rate of 4.7 pesos to the dollar. If you bring US currency you can exchange it on the black market at a rate of 6.1 pesos to the dollar (the most recent rate I got today). This will make your stay in Argentina 30% cheaper. Unfortunately I was only able to pull out around $2,500 US in Peru before crossing into ARG, so soon we'll have to figure out how to get more money.
Next obvious question: where does one find this black market? It's easy. Every well-off Argentinean person wants to make money, and investing on the dollar is a sure bet these days given the recent devaluation of the Peso and the corresponding spiral into the bowels of financial hell. All you have to do is find a well-off Argentinean person and ask if they know anyone who buys dollars.
I've sold dollars to the owner of an ice cream shop (I asked at the counter after buying ice cream), to the owner of a parking garage (asked as I was walking out of the garage), and to 2 different cajas de cambio (money changer businesses). Since it's illegal, the money changers have to advertise the official rate. I walked in and asked if they buy dollars, and for how much. "4.73", he said. That's the official rate. "I have 500 dollars, but I need to get better than 6 for them," I said. "Okay, I can give you 6.10," he said. Easy as that. Most people will try to sell you a lower rate, but you have to be educated on what's a good rate, and be demanding. Don't ask - tell.
This website reports the current going rate for the "blue dollar" (black market name for USD), as well as the official government rate: http://www.dolarblue.net
This article outlines the black market dollar from an economics and historical perspective: www.economist.com/node/21556273

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
GastonUSAChile OP
Studly Adventurer

Reciprocity Tax in Argentina hard to swalow

As you might know, Chile have also reciprocity entry Tax when you enter Chile through an International Airport.

U.S. , and few other nationalities must pay US$130 an it last 4 years or the term of your passport.

Well , now Argentina have a new similar law including border crossings (see below update), even more expensive. So, swallow it or use another passport if you have one.

This law was passed because USA charge about the same, but spread.

Submitted by dta-admin on Mon, 10/22/2012 - 08:10
The Argentine Government is charging a reciprocity fee to all citizens of the United States, Canada and Australia who enter Argentina. Starting September 1st, 2012, American, Canadian and Australian passport holders visiting Argentina will be required (can be paid upon your arrival )to pay the reciprocity fee online at the following site: https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/
The fees are:
  • Australia: USD $100 (single entry only)
  • Canada: USD $75 (single entry only)
  • United States: USD $160
Rates subject to modification based upon reciprocity. Payment can be made in Argentine Pesos, United States Dollars, credit/debit cards, or traveler's checks.
I'll also post this as an update to the border information on the Argentina border crossing page. Interested to hear about people's experiences with this new fee.

Update comment

Submitted by ......on Tue, 10/23/2012 - 08:21 The fee is only charged at the two airports in Buenos Aires. This may expand to borders, but certainly hasn't yet. We have now entered twice and haven't paid anything (once from Bolivia and once from Chile).

GastonUSAChile screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 12:36 PM
Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 991
Thanks for this Gaston, as usual you are a wealth of info on matter
relating to S.A.
We'll be spending many thousands of dollars in Argentina this Winter.
This will help a lot.

Max
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,592
This is not exactly new. Argentine Pesos have been inflationary for a number of years now. I found that you can get competitive exchange rates in the markets but I also found the rates I was getting through my Citibank gold card were pretty good too, not too much different than the markets. If you stay in Argentina for an extended time like I did you'll find that it's not practical to bring a pile of USDs into the country with you.

And that airport fee is not new, unless you're talking about a new $160 fee in addition to the $160 fee US passport carriers are already paying to fly into the airport. As for land borders, I crossed most of them and was not charged reciprocity. I'll be interested to hear the anecdotal evidence on this.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Nothing new about the reciprocity fees for Americans, at least. Don't know what Gaston is going on about, but the legal structure has been in place to charge at airports and land borders for quite a while. In practice, Argentina has never charged except at the B.A. airports. They could start charging at land borders and other airports whenever they manage to get it together to do so, and I expect we'll then hear about it.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
GastonUSAChile OP
Studly Adventurer

The recprocity tax is not new of course but .the bad news is the cost and the new regulation on using credit card with imposing charges (15%) plus the probelrms for Argentineans to buy dollars , which is practical impossible.
Now, a lot of people doesn't know about this and my thread is to make an awareness of it.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
Now, a lot of people doesn't know about this and my thread is to make an awareness of it.
That's never a bad thing.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Nothing new about the reciprocity fees for Americans, at least. Don't know what Gaston is going on about, but the legal structure has been in place to charge at airports and land borders for quite a while. In practice, Argentina has never charged except at the B.A. airports. They could start charging at land borders and other airports whenever they manage to get it together to do so, and I expect we'll then hear about it.

Mark
What he's getting at? He wants to prove that everyone is better off shipping into Chile rather than Argentina. He has never said anything positive about Argentina. I suspect that he has a pathological hatred of Argentina, not unlike his pathological hatred of me. But more importantly, he's trying to justify his high rates and the fact that he doesn't ship into Argentina, mainly just Chile.

I thought that cross-posting, especially without crediting the source, is against the rulz.

FWIW, I was aware of the fees, and I was never asked to pay any, even though I was on my American passport from Ecuador on down to Ushuaia. Also, I had no trouble getting cash from the ATMs and I thought the exchange rate was very good. I'd rather take my chances with ATMs than on the black market, especially since I can't tell the difference between real currency and good counterfeit stuff.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
GastonUSAChile OP
Studly Adventurer

What an ignorant we have now. Read Clarin, go to AFIP, hear the people from Argentina. You live a thousand miles from reality Banana. I do a lot of business with Argentineans every month, and you know everything about it.
This have nothing to do with shipping or no shipping. Thishave to do with a reality in a country that is living a serious downturn. A country that is trying to live a healthy economy and it can't .
I have plenty of Argentinean blood and relatives and I love that country as well as mine. So go with your personal shipping statements somewhere else. This thread is to inform others what to expect in Argentina when they enter through airports and possible soon through borders. What to expect when they use their plastic cards.
This is what this forum is for , not to your non sense quotes.
Just figure a couple of American tourist, entering Chile for the first time on airport arrival $130 per head.Then they fly to Argentina, another $160. Then Bolivia crossing a border, another $130 or so.

You are not South American, I am an a native one. And do me a favor, there is a NZ guy trying to find the way out of Ushuaia to U.S. and then to NZ. Please help him but seriously help him FOR FREE, as you advertise on the shipping section. Since you are an expert send him a whole breakdown. I don't get involve to much on that side of the country. I have a lot to do with other areas of my interest. PLEASE.....?

THANK YOU

GastonUSAChile screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 10:00 AM
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,259
Quote:
What an ignorant we have now. Read Clarin, go to AFIP, hear the people from Argentina. You live a thousand miles from reality Banana. I do a lot of business with Argentineans every month, and you know everything about it.
This have nothing to do with shipping or no shipping. Thishave to do with a reality in a country that is living a serious downturn. A country that is trying to live a healthy economy and it can't .
I have plenty of Argentinean blood and relatives and I love that country as well as mine. So go with your personal shipping statements somewhere else. This thread is to inform others what to expect in Argentina when they enter through airports and possible soon through borders. What to expect when they when they use their plastic cards.
This is what this forum is for , not to your non sense quotes.
Just figure a couple of American tourist, entering Chile for the first time on airport arrival $130 per head.Then they fly to Argentina, another $160. Then Bolivia crossing a border, another $130 or so.

You are not South American, I am an a native one. And do me a favor, there is a NZ guy trying to find the way out of Ushuaia to U.S. and then to NZ. Please help him but seriously help him FOR FREE, as you advertise on the shipping section. Since you are an expert send him a whole breakdown. I don't get involve to much on that side of the country. I have a lot to do with other areas of my interest. PLEASE.....?

THANK YOU
That's enough with the personal attacks, Gaston. You're a vendor. Keep your comments in Vendors.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
GastonUSAChile OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
That's enough with the personal attacks, Gaston. You're a vendor. Keep your comments in Vendors.
This is not a vendor thread, this is a free truly democratic place to inform of something. I am a human being wit hname and last name and member of ADV Rider as you too.
Vendor is to offer a product or service. Dollar regulation, inflation and taxing in Argentina have nothing to do with Vendors. Not sellng dollars!
This is my thread and as long Argentina have problems with foreing currency, news will come.
I know a few riders entering or already in Argentina. For them is good to know, for others going even better. don't you thing so?

By the way, the other day 2 of my riders landed in Cartagena , and first thing was to get the SOAT (mandatory PIP insurance ), well, they rode south and got in Peru where the insurance also it's called SOAT. They assumed that the Colombian SOAT was valid in other countries too..................They got in trouble with the Peruvian police a couple of times. This is another reason to inform and be informed.

This is not a vending machine.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
GastonUSAChile OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
This is not exactly new. Argentine Pesos have been inflationary for a number of years now. I found that you can get competitive exchange rates in the markets but I also found the rates I was getting through my Citibank gold card were pretty good too, not too much different than the markets. If you stay in Argentina for an extended time like I did you'll find that it's not practical to bring a pile of USDs into the country with you.

And that airport fee is not new, unless you're talking about a new $160 fee in addition to the $160 fee US passport carriers are already paying to fly into the airport. As for land borders, I crossed most of them and was not charged reciprocity. I'll be interested to hear the anecdotal evidence on this.
MG,

Inflation in Argentina is getting worse day by day , Dollar control to Argentinians is even worst. Basically they cannot get $1 dollar through AFIP regulators , either for traveling abroad or exp/imp matters. On top of that , the governemnt is charging them 15% for using the credit card abroad or for internet purchasing. So, most probably foereigners are getting charged too on their plastics transactions (dollar/A.pesos).

TAX or IVA could be reimbursed to tourist (above X amount) but it must be process at a few gov. offices or at the airport . A check will be mailed to your address at a later date.

You can get today almost 2 times per dollar on the street , if you change your dollars at a Casa de Cambio or Bank at a regulated change.

Ther airpot fee is $160 (once and good for 4 years I think) plus more dollars on exit. Most probably through border crossing is already or soon in place.

I don't know how long ago did you enter Argentina, but any anecdotical expierence in the pass have no effect unless is recent within 2 month.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
MG,

Inflation in Argentina is getting worse day by day , Dollar control to Argentinians is even worst. Basically they cannot get $1 dollar through AFIP regulators , either for traveling abroad or exp/imp matters. On top of that , the governemnt is charging them 15% for using the credit card abroad or for internet purchasing. So, most probably foereigners are getting charged too on their plastics transactions (dollar/A.pesos).

TAX or IVA could be reimbursed to tourist (above X amount) but it must be process at a few gov. offices or at the airport . A check will be mailed to your address at a later date.

You can get today almost 2 times per dollar on the street , if you change your dollars at a Casa de Cambio or Bank at a regulated change.

Ther airpot fee is $160 (once and good for 4 years I think) plus more dollars on exit. Most probably through border crossing is already or soon in place.

I don't know how long ago did you enter Argentina, but any anecdotical expierence in the pass have no effect unless is recent within 2 month.

Wow! That's a lot of fees / fines to pay just to VISIT a country!

I'm not planning to visit Argentina soon, so for me it's not a problem at this time, but it's a place I would like to visit in the next few years. With the costs of airfare to get there, plus all kinds of taxes / fees to just visit, it may never happen.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Don't be alarmed. You can enter for free by merely crossing at any land border. That's a whole lot better than you can say about, for example, Paraguay, Brazil, Suriname, or Bolivia if you've got an American passport.

Will this change before your hypothetical trip in a couple of years? Neither Gaston, nor Bananaman, nor anyone else on this forum has any idea. Remember that part while reading scary stories about what "might" be happening or what "could" happen at some point in the indefinite future.

Now, wouldn't it be nice if Gaston and Bananaman could quit thrashing each other? Neither looks the least bit grown up from where I sit.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
GastonUSAChile OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Don't be alarmed. You can enter for free by merely crossing at any land border. That's a whole lot better than you can say about, for example, Paraguay, Brazil, Suriname, or Bolivia if you've got an American passport.

Will this change before your hypothetical trip in a couple of years? Neither Gaston, nor Bananaman, nor anyone else on this forum has any idea. Remember that part while reading scary stories about what "might" be happening or what "could" happen at some point in the indefinite future.

Now, wouldn't it be nice if Gaston and Bananaman could quit thrashing each other? Neither looks the least bit grown up from where I sit.

Mark
The tax law enforced by Chile , Argentina, Bolivia and others as 'reciprocal' with the U.S. and other countries never are going to change 'unless' the U.S. and a few others lower their taxes to tourists.

It was a big huge protest march yesterday in BsAs and other countries by Argentinians , against the president (Kris...tina). Things are getting pretty tough down there against the new laws, inflation and constraints imposed by the government. Really sad for a nice society as Argentina is.

And 'yes' I have the idea and I read the papers and enforced laws. . That is what they have and is current. Not new, but new things are coming everyday from a government in distress.
3 weeks ago the Argentinian school flagship bergartin (Libertad) was retained in Ghana because the government own millions of dollars to an investor in Europe. That is a shame.